Cubs! I am very sad at you!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
    I would like to address some of your other points, but I will be leaving on business in a few minutes and then have dinner and a play tonight.
    See, Gregg could be choosing to spend his entertainment dollars on Cubs merchandise and watching re-runs of the 2016 World Series, but he is putting his money where his mouth is and going out for dinner and a play instead.
    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
      See, Gregg could be choosing to spend his entertainment dollars on Cubs merchandise and watching re-runs of the 2016 World Series, but he is putting his money where his mouth is and going out for dinner and a play instead.
      Hah!

That's okay though, they saved the $350million Gregg was going to spend on Cubs keychains by not signing a top SS.

Comment

• Signing Brad Boxberger should ease Gregg’s concerns and turn that frown upside down.

Comment

• I don't have any skin in the game regarding the Cubs, but they were competitive the 2nd half of the year. I believe they were 39-31 over last 70 games.

Random luck, on a hot streak, easy schedule, or do they have something going?

Comment

• They Cubs were 62-85 before they won 12 of the last 15, with 12 of those games against the Marlins, Pirates, and Reds. I don't think their current roster is likely to yield a winning record. Early ZIPS projections have them 17 games back of the Cardinals in 2023. See excerpt below. I think their roster is more than just a few pieces away from competing for even a division title.

The Cubs are making noise about spending this winter, but they need a couple of starting pitchers, a first baseman, most of a bullpen, and a DH to really threaten the top two teams in the Central.
            ---------------------------------------------
            Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
            ---------------------------------------------
            The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Gregg, is your real name Matt Snyder? And are you a little less sad at the Cubs?

2021 Auction Anatomy
              2021 Keeper Decisions
              2020 Auction Anatomy
              2020 Pre-Auction
              2015 Auction Anatomy
              2014 Auction Anatomy
              2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
              RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

Comment

• Swanson was clearly 4th out of the big 4 SS available, but considering how many more years the other guys got, this may be the best signing of the bunch over the full course of the contracts. Still a high avg salary given his limited track record of excellence, but I think he keeps up close to what he did last year and earns it for most of the years of the deal.

Comment

• Eric Hosmer is the latest Cubs target. I'm thinking that a deal gets done because both sides are desperate at this point.
                  “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
                    Eric Hosmer is the latest Cubs target. I'm thinking that a deal gets done because both sides are desperate at this point.
                    Is he an upgrade over Matt Mervis? At this point, I don't think he is.

Comment

• Originally posted by ThatRogue View Post
                      Gregg, is your real name Matt Snyder? And are you a little less sad at the Cubs?

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/d...le-nl-central/
                      Ha, while I am not Matt it seems we have some thoughts and feelings in common.

I am a little less sad. I do like Dansby but I was hoping for the addition of another star bat to go with him and an ace to go with the other pitching moves.

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
                        Eric Hosmer is the latest Cubs target. I'm thinking that a deal gets done because both sides are desperate at this point.
                        Costs the Cubs $720K for one year to help transition Mervis to the Bigs.

Comment

• Cubs sign Trey Mancini to a 2-years deal. Bye-bye Mervis, at least for now.

Comment

• Originally posted by rhd View Post
                            Cubs sign Trey Mancini to a 2-years deal. Bye-bye Mervis, at least for now.
                            The Cubs have created a logjam at first base now with Hosmer, Mancini, and Mervis. Maybe Mancini goes to the outfield. And the Cubs still have Wisdom (pun intended).
                            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Yeah, I don't really get it. I mean, I guess the Hosmer signing doesn't really matter much. They have so little invested, they could cut him if he starts cold, and he won't stand in the way of Mervis for long regardless. Mancini is a legit player they are paying. He can play in the OF, which is nice, but 1b is a better home for him, so that seems problematic if/when Mervis is deemed ready.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                                Yeah, I don't really get it. I mean, I guess the Hosmer signing doesn't really matter much. They have so little invested, they could cut him if he starts cold, and he won't stand in the way of Mervis for long regardless. Mancini is a legit player they are paying. He can play in the OF, which is nice, but 1b is a better home for him, so that seems problematic if/when Mervis is deemed ready.

I started to say something like this myself. Hosmer is costing them only $720K or so so he's neither here nor there financially, but he does clog up the roster while he's there. Mancini was terrible offensively after going to the Astros and is terrible defensively in the OF so he's not a realistic option there. He could bounce back but he has no upside and he's costing them $10 mil this year and further clogs the roster. Wisdom, who they seemed to like last year, is now on the bench. He strikes out a ton and hits for a low average but he hits HRs and provides good defense at 3B. I dont know what they see in Morel who is their projected 3Bman this year other than he's young and has upside. I dont know what the Cubs are doing. If they're playing for this year, they havent signed anyone noteworthy towards that goal. They should be rebuilding. Mervis looks ready for MLB. Maybe they feel he could benefit by another half year or so at AAA but the Mancini signing seems like a headscratcher to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X