Cubs! I am very sad at you!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mgwiz22 View Post
    Perhaps they will use the savings to re sign their free agents to be.
    I have no idea how the Darvish trade will work out long term but if you are going to trade your best starting pitcher for prospects that are 5 years away from potentially producing much...it doesn't make any sense to hand out big contracts to any bats that probably won't there by the time the pitching staff would ever be any good. The Cubs needed pitching and now have Hendriks, Davies and scraps. After the Darvish trade I would think they might as well do a full rebuild since most of the top bats are all heading to free agency.

Comment

Originally posted by fuhrdog View Post
      I have no idea how the Darvish trade will work out long term but if you are going to trade your best starting pitcher for prospects that are 5 years away from potentially producing much...it doesn't make any sense to hand out big contracts to any bats that probably won't there by the time the pitching staff would ever be any good. The Cubs needed pitching and now have Hendriks, Davies and scraps. After the Darvish trade I would think they might as well do a full rebuild since most of the top bats are all heading to free agency.
      Then how would they fool us to keep watching?

They had a competitive team that could have made noise this coming year if they made a few tweaks.

I think we will see the full rebuild mode a few weeks before the 2021 trade deadline.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
        I think we will see the full rebuild mode a few weeks before the 2021 trade deadline.
        You're probably right, but what a colossal error that could be. Even without Schwarber and Darvish - let's assume no one else gets dumped at this point - the Cubs could still make a run at a wild card, especially if MLB shortens the season and expands the playoffs again. If they waive the white flag with an opportunity to win a playoff spot, it'll be even uglier than if they just dump now.
        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Big market entitlement.

Man, for all the years small market fans have to deal with constant failed contention windows and full scale rebuilds... I think its a little silly to pretend that your organization is so beyond reproach as to ever stoop to the level of the Marlins, Rays, Bucs, Astros, A's, etc. Also, the Astros popularized the big market team doing a full-scale teardown and it worked out pretty damn okay for them, and the current Cubs core only came together through a dedicated rebuild, so I fail to see the logic here... I watched my Jays payroll drop to like $60M during their rebuild. Its just the way of life with contention windows in the sport today.

The Cubs roster was so horribly constructed it would take the highest payroll in baseball to support the core and re-sign all the FA's, and still leave them with a bottom 5 farm... if you pay mediocrity like Jose Quintana, Jon Lester, Kimbrel, and Jason Heyward to be your albatross contracts... don't expect that team to carry the flexibility to avoid the repercussions of those bad deals. It wasn't constructed well enough to deserve supplemental support, and now that the core players all have 1-2 years to reach free agency, it was best to start the teardown early.
          Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Cubs president Jed Hoyer said Wednesday that the rumors about Willson Contreras being shopped are "fictional."
            This could be a game of semantics, as the Cubs have undoubtedly received calls about Contreras -- especially in the wake of the Yu Darvish/Victor Caratini trade -- and would almost certainly move the star catcher this winter given a sizable enough return. Hoyer also told reporters during Wednesday's press conference that he thinks "we're going to have a really competitive team next year," so take it all with a grain of salt.

SOURCE: Jordan Bastian on Twitter
            Dec 30, 2020, 11:27 AM ET

Jed, competitive with who?!! Winning a wild card is not competitive for this team! You have done nothing to try to get competitive this year. All of it has been about the money! Your actions do not match up with your words.
            The Cubs just signed Austin Romine to a one year deal.

Good back up to...wait are they still thinking about trading Contreras...hmm

Comment

"we're going to have a really competitive team next year.... with the Pirates."
              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                "we're going to have a really competitive team next year.... with the Pirates."
                That two man rotation we have just might do the trick!

Comment

That two man rotation we have just might do the trick!
                  Samardzjia?!! NO NO NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Comment

Jesse Rogers of ESPN reports that the Cubs have agreed to a one-year, $2.5 million contract with right-hander Trevor Williams.

Crap!!

Comment

Just keep focusing on how they got Joc, Schwarber with better defense. That is....something, right?!

Comment

Jesse Rogers of ESPN reports that the Cubs have agreed to a one-year, $2.5 million contract with right-hander Trevor Williams.

Crap!!
                        Some of his worst stats have come at Wrigley Field (7.09 era & 1.94 whip in 33 career ip).

I think PNC Park helped him a lot (3.90 era & 1.25 whip in 281.1 ip).

Things get a little rougher for him outside of Pittsburgh (5.01 era & 1.44 whip in 253.1 ip).

All that being said, Williams will probably pitch a no-hitter against the Pirates @ PNC Park this year. So, i would definitely recommend him for DFS on that day.

On the bright side, he's pretty durable and hardly ever gets injured. So, he could be an innings eater.
                        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

You're going to like Joc. Brings a lot of fire to the team. Hitting skill is admittedly not great, but tons of power and clutch postseason performance. Plays a decent OF. He just seems like a good guy, too.
                          More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

And Cubs sign Jake Marisnick. Seems they're letting higher cost players (Schwarber, Almora) go and replacing them with similar cheaper players (Joc, Marisnick).
                            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                              And Cubs sign Jake Marisnick. Seems they're letting higher cost players (Schwarber, Almora) go and replacing them with similar cheaper players (Joc, Marisnick).
                              Now we know why Theo Epstein left. He knew the spending party was over.
                              “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                                Now we know why Theo Epstein left. He knew the spending party was over.
                                I think you are correct sir!

Comment

Working...
                                X