Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2533343536 LastLast

Thread: President Joseph Biden

Quote Originally Posted by umjewman View Post
    Isn't it August, when Trump assumes the Presidency again? I feel like these moving "end of the world" projections are upon us again.
    Does this one at least have an expiration date? I wonder when they finally end - 2024? Or does it continue past then? "We won the 2020 election, and I know it's 2067 so the 2020 election doesn't matter at this point, and I know he's already long dead, but we need to exhume Trump's body and restore Zombie Trump to his rightful position" -- don't put it past them.

"Senators from both parties have reached an infrastructure deal they hope to sell as a plan that can get through Congress with bipartisan support.

A group of 10 Democrats and Republicans struck what they called a “realistic, compromise framework to modernize our nation’s infrastructure and energy technologies,” according to a joint statement released Thursday by Sen. Kyrsten Sinema, D-Ariz. The plan “would be fully paid for and not include tax increases,” the senators added.

“We are discussing our approach with our respective colleagues, and the White House, and remain optimistic that this can lay the groundwork to garner broad support from both parties and meet America’s infrastructure needs,” the lawmakers said."
    https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/10/bide...ears-deal.html

Quote Originally Posted by chancellor View Post
    LOL...and the GOP is pointing to their near-sweep of Texas mayoral elections as a key swing in how 2022 will go, too:

https://www.nationalreview.com/2021/...for-the-party/

None of these indicate anything for 2022 elections. It's all battlefield prep. There'll be some lessons learned - even a handful of somewhat valuable ones - but they'll pale compared to what happens to the economy in the next 9-12 months.
    I'm very curious to hear what you expect to happen to the economy in the next 9-12 months.

I see the housing market at an absolute fever pitch across North America, artificially boosted by the pandemic and lack of entertainment and travel spending options. I expect a major crash, but with so much of the market owned by investment companies its hard to tell. I believe they seek a big crash so that they can swoop in and buy up the last of the middle class houses that are bankrupted, just like the 2008 recession. They would be able to claim big tax write-offs for the depreciation while buying up all the shares of the normies that couldn't take on water.
    "My favourite is when Joe Biden and Nancy Pelosi say "we need a strong Republican party." And I'm like, "um, well, I donít. Not sure why you do." And then I realized why they do need a strong Republican party. Because if there was no Republican party, even if you were a fan of the Democrats, you would be like "hey, now what's holding you back from doing good policy if there's no opposition?" Because they'd be revealed as frauds." - Judah Friedlander

Quote Originally Posted by Teenwolf View Post
    I'm very curious to hear what you expect to happen to the economy in the next 9-12 months.
    Inflation is my biggest worry, by far. The industrial metals markets - steel, structural steel, stainless, copper, and aluminum - have exploded. Domestic shipping costs have jumped 30% in a year; overseas container shipping is at a fever pitch. Lumber and building products are up staggering sums. I still use a labor index an old friend of mine created for P&G called SWAT - Steelworkers, Welders, Assembly Workers, Truckers - and it's hog wild right now. Amazon has increased starting wages to $17-20/hour, depending on location.

I see the housing market at an absolute fever pitch across North America, artificially boosted by the pandemic and lack of entertainment and travel spending options. I expect a major crash, but with so much of the market owned by investment companies its hard to tell.
    The investment company angle is another that has me concerned about inflation. Locally, we're seeing these companies buy up properties at 10-20% over market.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Isn't a big part of the housing market related to WFH which really isn't going away?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Isn't a big part of the housing market related to WFH which really isn't going away?
    It's a contributor, for sure. How much WFH sticks, though...I'm not as optimistic as you with influential companies like Apple and Google bringing workers back to the office to a much larger degree than I expected.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by chancellor View Post
    It's a contributor, for sure. How much WFH sticks, though...I'm not as optimistic as you with influential companies like Apple and Google bringing workers back to the office to a much larger degree than I expected.
    It sticking everywhere I've looked. Why do these companies want to pay for commercial real estate when they can just choose *not* to now? I've talked to numerous colleagues whose small to medium sized businesses have downsized their officespace.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    It sticking everywhere I've looked. Why do these companies want to pay for commercial real estate when they can just choose *not* to now? I've talked to numerous colleagues whose small to medium sized businesses have downsized their officespace.
    my observation - you can run operations in a WFH model, but something is lost in the creative brainstorming that can happen when people get together in a room. I can see a hybrid developing - 2 days in the office, 3 at home - but I think most companies will want to have the ability to bring people together.
    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by TranaGreg View Post
    my observation - you can run operations in a WFH model, but something is lost in the creative brainstorming that can happen when people get together in a room. I can see a hybrid developing - 2 days in the office, 3 at home - but I think most companies will want to have the ability to bring people together.
    You are right, and it varies across different job markets.

IT is heading 90%+ virtual.

Other collaborative groups certainly need more face to face time.

I've seen some creative reallocations of workspace. A friend of mine works for a retail distributer and they went from 3 office buildings to 1, however they just have 1/3 of the office come in each day. Employees no longer have their own personal desk, they share from day to day.

Welcome to the Big Leagues, Kid
    The NYC office for my firm just moved to a smaller space. I am WFH permanently (or at least for the foreseeable future), as I do not have an office or a desk at the new place (although I'm reasonably certain I still work there). Once courts reopen and we start having depositions in person, I will have to go to that, but I will come home to do non-appearance work.