Ruth Bader Ginsburg Died

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by frae View Post
    I can't do the political calculus tonight, I will instead just be sad for RBG and her family. Hell of a justice.
    Amen to that.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
      Amen to that.
      Shockingly, Moscow Mitch doesn't agree.

If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
        Very sad day. It is incomprehensible to me how McConnell can sell the idea of trying to replace her before November when Scalia died in February, Garland was nominated in March, and he and other Republicans argued it was much too little time to get it done and it was immoral to do so with the election just a short 8 months away.

It is easy to forget she was considered a moderate most of her life, but the SC had moved so far to the right, she became a liberal by comparison, and the court is far more conservative now and likely to get even more so.
        I agree, but that's the way the game is played. Were the situation reversed, there is no doubt Schumer would say the same thing.

All that said, I do not expect this to move that rapidly. The Court can scarcely move left, regardless of the new Justice, and no one along the lines of Garland would pass. After Kavanaugh, only an outright Democrat majority would suffice. Moreover, I expect a nomination soon after the election, for the new Senate to consider. My gut says either Amy Barret or Amur Thapar. you may rest assured a short list will be widely available before voting. Again, that's the way the game is played.

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
        Don't despair too much--The Dems should win the WH, the Senate and keep the house--IF the GOP pushes through another Justice, the Dems simple expand the court and pack it with their choices. No need to play fair anymore.
        As if you played fair the last four years.

Trump will win reelection. The question is whether the Republicans expand their majority in the Senate and/or win back the House.

J
        Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
          I agree, but that's the way the game is played. Were the situation reversed, there is no doubt Schumer would say the same thing.

All that said, I do not expect this to move that rapidly. The Court can scarcely move left, regardless of the new Justice, and no one along the lines of Garland would pass. After Kavanaugh, only an outright Democrat majority would suffice. Moreover, I expect a nomination soon after the election, for the new Senate to consider. My gut says either Amy Barret or Amur Thapar. you may rest assured a short list will be widely available before voting. Again, that's the way the game is played.

As if you played fair the last four years.

Trump will win reelection. The question is whether the Republicans expand their majority in the Senate and/or win back the House.

J
          fuck off troll
          If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
              And despite this, of course, the craven sycophant has come out today and said he will fully support Trump's effort to replace Ginsberg without delay. I've wanted to see few things in politics more than to see Graham lose to Harrison. In fact, there is no one higher on my list of Trump sycophants that I want to see out, because he is the most explicit of all of them in terms of his duplicitous nature and blatant hypocrisy. He has sold his soul to Trump and deserves to go down with him.

Comment

A little worrisome that many of the battles over which ballots get counted in the Presidential election are counted or not could be decided by a Supreme Court with 5 conservatives and 3 Liberals. I think Trump's ability to rig the election just went through the roof. Biden needs a blowout to overcome these challenges.
                Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
                  A little worrisome that many of the battles over which ballots get counted in the Presidential election are counted or not could be decided by a Supreme Court with 5 conservatives and 3 Liberals.
                  Unless McConnell can't muster the votes, this is exactly why the next justice will get rammed through at Warp 8. While Roberts is still considered a conservative jurist, many conservative voters figure he'll spit the bit - again, as he did with ObamaCare - on a contentious election issue. Most conservatives figure SCOTUS will need Justice Barrett seated to assure that doesn't happen.

Comment

Do they even have the votes? I count at least three no votes for the gop and the candidates have been nominated yet
                    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Do they even have the votes? I count at least three no votes for the gop and the candidates have been nominated yet
                      Might not. We'll know soon - if McConnell schedules hearings shortly after he gets the name, then he's confident he has 50. My betting line is he goes all-in, and if there's any doubt, offers Manchin a committee chair to lock up his vote. If I'm wrong, he'll be figuring out how to lame duck it shortly after the election, which will likely lock up at least one of those three votes.

Comment

Might not. We'll know soon - if McConnell schedules hearings shortly after he gets the name, then he's confident he has 50. My betting line is he goes all-in, and if there's any doubt, offers Manchin a committee chair to lock up his vote. If I'm wrong, he'll be figuring out how to lame duck it shortly after the election, which will likely lock up at least one of those three votes.
                        I think he's counting on doing it in December. He's just getting the hearings out of the way now.

Comment

This is, IMO, a no win scenario for the GOP.

If the push through a Nomination pre election and lose out to the Dems in all 3 branches, the Dems will expand the court, pack it and then bring PR and DC into the Union to assure they hold it for a while. There already looking for retribution over the past 4 years and I doubt pushing through someone will do anything to change that. They could wait until after the election and maybe get those votes if any of the No votes lose re-election, but any vote take after the election would be contested in manners not seen at a national level before. If they just skip it, they still hold a 5-4 majority.

THE issue that would set the country on fire would be--They cram though a Justice, they lose but contest the election, the SCOTUS decides it in Favor of Trump 5-4 with the new Justice casting the deciding vote. The Country Burns.

I just don't see how ramming through a nominee, against their own 2016 reasoning, does anything by provide a short term feeling of haha fuck you libs.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

a short term feeling of haha fuck you libs.
                            I'm pretty sure this is the Republican Party platform, though.
                            "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                              I'm pretty sure this is the Republican Party platform, though.
                              It is, and that's why the Democrats are going to show no mercy once they regain power.
                              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                                It is, and that's why the Democrats are going to show no mercy once they regain power.
                                I think that's a pipe dream, honestly. I don't think the Democrats have the stones to act like McConnell and Co. Maybe they've reached a breaking point, but I feel like the Democrats would have caved on the Garland thing if the shoe was on the other foot. Republicans held fast and they're now reaping the ill-gotten gains.

Comment

Working...
                                X