Are you more careful or less...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
    Seems like the push to normalcy and great un-masking are upon us. Anyone plan to continue wearing masks ? Maybe just to spite our totalitarian overlords who say we don't need them ?
    For me, at work, I think it will continue to be required for the rest of this semester, at least. I've heard no indication that universities would be required to unmask. I will continue to where them until numbers in my area fall to the low rates they were very briefly at before. Long term, I look forward to all of us unmasking when we are well or at least don't have overt symptoms. But even if/when this is endemic and manageable, I also hope that it will be culturally acceptable and normal to wear a mask any time someone has a cough or runny nose or is sneezing. No one used to do that as it just wasn't a thing people thought of. Going forward, it seems like a polite courtesy any time anyone is sick in public in enclosed spaces, and it would minimize, at least some, the spread of not just COVID-19, but other viruses.

Of course, I've often seen people unmask specifically to sneeze, so clearly some don't get the point. But beyond having overt symptoms of something, I do look forward to being maskless. But it seems a little early to do that. I appreciate the counter argument that most masks the way most people wear them are not effective at stopping Omicron, but the better solution would seem to be to encourage the right types of mask and the right way to wear them until this surge is completely down, which it isn't yet, but it is getting there, which is great. Not that I think this is the last surge we will see, but I hope it is the worst one we will see in terms of number of people infected. Omicron is infecting so many.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
      For me, at work, I think it will continue to be required for the rest of this semester, at least. I've heard no indication that universities would be required to unmask. I will continue to where them until numbers in my area fall to the low rates they were very briefly at before. Long term, I look forward to all of us unmasking when we are well or at least don't have overt symptoms. But even if/when this is endemic and manageable, I also hope that it will be culturally acceptable and normal to wear a mask any time someone has a cough or runny nose or is sneezing. No one used to do that as it just wasn't a thing people thought of. Going forward, it seems like a polite courtesy any time anyone is sick in public in enclosed spaces, and it would minimize, at least some, the spread of not just COVID-19, but other viruses.

Of course, I've often seen people unmask specifically to sneeze, so clearly some don't get the point. But beyond having overt symptoms of something, I do look forward to being maskless. But it seems a little early to do that. I appreciate the counter argument that most masks the way most people wear them are not effective at stopping Omicron, but the better solution would seem to be to encourage the right types of mask and the right way to wear them until this surge is completely down, which it isn't yet, but it is getting there, which is great. Not that I think this is the last surge we will see, but I hope it is the worst one we will see in terms of number of people infected. Omicron is infecting so many.
      So will you wear a mask when you go to get groceries? Maybe I wasn't clear ...just wondering what people will do in every day lives when there is no regulation
      ---------------------------------------------
      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

So will you wear a mask when you go to get groceries? Maybe I wasn't clear ...just wondering what people will do in every day lives when there is no regulation
        I guess I'm asking because I understand the need to try and open up and keep the economy moving...but I think masks actually help that, but it seems that the Dems have recently bought in to the idea that what makes things normal is having businesses open and not wearing masks. The masks now seem like a huge burden...anyway, that's the vibes I'm getting.
        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I've got no problem wearing mine in stores. Hell, I don't think I need to be in a CVS ever again without a mask on.
          I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
            I've got no problem wearing mine in stores. Hell, I don't think I need to be in a CVS ever again without a mask on.
            lol, yeah wearing a mask probably isn't a bad idea in general. The idea of no longer mandating masks just seems like a bad idea to me. We know it will lead to more infections and deaths. And when the next wave comes we will wait until it's too late to require them again...so more needless deaths. But apparently whoever makes these decisions must feel it is unpopular, or else they think letting people go maskless makes people think things are normal so that it won't hurt them politically. We seem to have all accepted 2000 people dying every day, so why even bother, just live your life. The arguments used to be about lockdown and restrictions, but it seems for some reason even asking people to wear masks now is too much.
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Yes, I still wear them anytime I am in a building with other people, except when I am in my office alone. I will continue to do that until the numbers fall much more...until the inevitably rise again. I get the frustration from those who have to wear them for 8-10 hours a day, but I am lucky--I don't have to do that. I can take lots of breaks from them in my office, and when I work from home. To me, wearing them around others is no big deal, but maybe I wouldn't feel that way if I was wearing them for 50-60 hours a week rather than 15-20.

Comment

Seems like the push to normalcy and great un-masking are upon us. Anyone plan to continue wearing masks ? Maybe just to spite our totalitarian overlords who say we don't need them ?
                We still wear masks indoors when doing anything except eating or drinking. I also keep mine on in crowded outdoor settings. I plan on keeping it this way until the CDC says the pandemic is over.

I also will not keep close company with someone who is Unvaxxed, if I know that to be the case.
                If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I’ve stopped wearing a mask, unless required.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                    I’ve stopped wearing a mask, unless required.
                    I'm not sure what the mask requirements are anymore, most people around here are wearing them, but that could change soon I suspect. It would be great if this is the last wave, but I suspect it isn't.

I went out to dinner with friends recently and we ate outdoors. Walked to a nearby bar after and it was wall to wall people. Just couldn't get myself to go in...of course cases were at an all time high then. Hopefully cases keep declining and I'll be able to go in places that like and feel comfortable again
                    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                      I'm not sure what the mask requirements are anymore, most people around here are wearing them, but that could change soon I suspect. It would be great if this is the last wave, but I suspect it isn't.

I went out to dinner with friends recently and we ate outdoors. Walked to a nearby bar after and it was wall to wall people. Just couldn't get myself to go in...of course cases were at an all time high then. Hopefully cases keep declining and I'll be able to go in places that like and feel comfortable again
                      California ends its indoor mask mandate the 14th for the vaccinated. If you're unvaxxed, you still have to mask--though I don't know how or if they will enforce it.
                      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                        California ends its indoor mask mandate the 14th for the vaccinated. If you're unvaxxed, you still have to mask--though I don't know how or if they will enforce it.
                        they won't, just a game they play
                        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• I'll continue to mask as long as the pandemic continues. I've read that we will only transition to endemic stage once we vaccinate the 3rd world to stop the variants from developing, so it could be several years until we do that. Very depressing, but it's reality.

I'm in my immune after infection window right now, so I'd love to push the boat out, but my concerts were all canceled. Hopefully through the next years of this bullshit we continue to see the trend of numbers down in the summer, so we get a brief reprieve. But that's about as optimistic as I'm willing to be.

Oh, and the reason they're all ramping down Covid restrictions in the US is that Biden is planning a 'Mission Accomplished' celebration in the next 2 months or so. Mark it down. He's had zero wins, RCP approval rating lower than Trump was, and desperate for anything to brag about for the mid-terms. Right wingers want all the mandates and restrictions ended... bingo. He wants to deliver for the chuds even though they won't give him an ounce of credit.
                          Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Working...
                          X