No announcement yet.

Are you more careful or less...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still being very diligent about mask wearing and washing hands. Avoiding any indoor situations where I can't do that or where other people aren't. We visited my parents at Christmas, but we quarantined for a week ahead of time. We visited my mother-in-law for her birthday but celebrated outside in the park rather than being indoors with them. We get takeout from restaurants or have used the outside dining options a couple times, but not indoors at all. My kids are going to school in person. They wear their masks all day, except for lunch period where they are distancing from other kids as much as possible. I haven't been in to the office since this whole thing started.

It all sucks and I can't wait for it to be over. It's an endless series of choices of what is safe, and that can be draining, although we've pretty much settled into a routine now and know our boundaries, so that helps.
    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

About the same even tho I got the covid over Christmas and am supposedly Immune for a while. Parents get there vaccination tomorrow so I might head on down to see them again . Still no contact with my 1 year old granddaughter except on FaceTime.

Comment

Originally posted by hacko View Post
        About the same even tho I got the covid over Christmas and am supposedly Immune for a while. Parents get there vaccination tomorrow so I might head on down to see them again . Still no contact with my 1 year old granddaughter except on FaceTime.
        How long do you think you are immune?

We got it in Nov. and became mostly non-systematic Dec.23. i say mostly because we still got tired pretty easily.

Comment

I would guess you're immune for years, but nobody really knows, do they? The fact that there haven't been a large number of cases of reinfection yet suggest that the immunity usually lasts at least for months, at a minimum. But if I were in your shoes I would be careful and act like my immunity was gone. I think it will take time for the facts to become known.
          "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
            I would guess you're immune for years, but nobody really knows, do they? The fact that there haven't been a large number of cases of reinfection yet suggest that the immunity usually lasts at least for months, at a minimum. But if I were in your shoes I would be careful and act like my immunity was gone. I think it will take time for the facts to become known.
            Then one would have to at least consider holding off on the vaccine. Especially if the reports of the second shot are very hard on those who have had covid are true.

So much unknown.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
              Then one would have to at least consider holding off on the vaccine. Especially if the reports of the second shot are very hard on those who have had covid are true.

So much unknown.
              No way would I hold off on the vaccine. But obviously you should ask your doctor for advice specific to your situation.

My understanding is that the "symptoms" of the vaccine are just the immune response kicking in (soreness, aching, mild fever), which is actually what you want to happen, and not any actual sickness. I'd far rather take some soreness and mild fever for a day or two than risk being reinfected.

From the CDC:

If I have already had COVID-19 and recovered, do I still need to get vaccinated with a COVID-19 vaccine?
              Yes. Due to the severe health risks associated with COVID-19 and the fact that re-infection with COVID-19 is possible, vaccine should be offered to you regardless of whether you already had COVID-19 infection. CDC is providing recommendations to federal, state, and local governments about who should be vaccinated first.

At this time, experts do not know how long someone is protected from getting sick again after recovering from COVID-19. The immunity someone gains from having an infection, called natural immunity, varies from person to person. Some early evidence suggests natural immunity may not last very long.

We won’t know how long immunity produced by vaccination lasts until we have more data on how well the vaccines work.

Both natural immunity and vaccine-induced immunity are important aspects of COVID-19 that experts are trying to learn more about, and CDC will keep the public informed as new evidence becomes available.
              What you need to know about COVID-19 vaccines, myths and facts.

Edit to add: I see that some health sites are saying that you can hold off 90 days from your COVID diagnosis to get the vaccine.

A couple links on that topic:

Infectious diseases expert Emily Landon, MD, explains what you need to know about the COVID-19 vaccines, including how safe and effective they are and when to get an updated vaccine.

Comment

How long do you think you are immune?

We got it in Nov. and became mostly non-systematic Dec.23. i say mostly because we still got tired pretty easily.
                I really have no idea , I heard around 3 to 4 months but am still acting as if I didn’t have it . Mask up and stay home. I will be seeing my Dr Friday so I can discuss this with him. I feel pretty decent the worst thing that happens to me is I go in and out of Afib which makes me tired and have shortness of breath .

Comment

Just found out I'm in 1C, unessential old(but not too)folks.
                  If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by hacko View Post
                    I really have no idea , I heard around 3 to 4 months but am still acting as if I didn’t have it . Mask up and stay home. I will be seeing my Dr Friday so I can discuss this with him. I feel pretty decent the worst thing that happens to me is I go in and out of Afib which makes me tired and have shortness of breath .
                    I hope it goes well for you.

I have a consultation with the heart doctor this Friday. I had three tests. The only thing they said was that the test revealed nothing of concern. But the reason I went in in the first place was that my large ventricle was throwing in a beat after every fourth small ventricle beat. My GP heard it and then did an office EKG that confirmed it.

This led to the 3 tests. The New Heart Doctor saw the EKG but did not hear it on my visit. She said it could be brought on by stress. So we did imaging, 24 hour monitor, and atomic stress test.

Nothing of concern we will see you the 29th to talk about it. Umm...Nothing of concern, then why do we need to talk about it?
                    ...see you Friday.

Reading your post I can't help wonder if my initial issue is covid related.

Comment

I hope it goes well for you.

I have a consultation with the heart doctor this Friday. I had three tests. The only thing they said was that the test revealed nothing of concern. But the reason I went in in the first place was that my large ventricle was throwing in a beat after every fourth small ventricle beat. My GP heard it and then did an office EKG that confirmed it.

This led to the 3 tests. The New Heart Doctor saw the EKG but did not hear it on my visit. She said it could be brought on by stress. So we did imaging, 24 hour monitor, and atomic stress test.

Nothing of concern we will see you the 29th to talk about it. Umm...Nothing of concern, then why do we need to talk about it?
                      ...see you Friday.

Reading your post I can't help wonder if my initial issue is covid related.
                      When I got covid it put in in Afib but this one sounded and felt different then my other episodes. I called my cardiologist and he told me they weren’t sure how or how much covid messed with the heart. He told me to monitor it for the next couple of months ( unless something wacky happen) then we will get together and decide a course of action - probably some test. They made me do a stress test about 2 years back and got some good pics of my heart.

Comment

Are you more careful or less careful in dealing with Covid?
                        How about now?

Comment

How about now?
                          I was just starting to be less careful, as I am past two weeks from my last vaccination, by not wearing a mask in outdoor but close proximity venues, like my 6 year old kid's baseball games with a lot of people close by in stands, but still outside. But I have either caught a cold, or have bad allergies causing sneezing and coughing, so for other people's safety and peace of mind I have gone back to the mask. But eventually, as our numbers continue to fall--my county has less than 100 active cases right now, I'm going to go back to maskless, even in doors.

My wife is not there yet. We ate at a restaurant for the first time in over a year and a half and it was outdoor seating and no one remotely close to us and she still wore the mask the whole time she was not eating. We also take walks and if she sees anyone coming she crosses the street. I am in the just walk on by and say high camp. I just don't see any data that suggests a very brief outdoor interaction carries much risk. She thinks the person could sneeze or cough right when they pass. But she has always felt that way. She was a germaphobe before all this, so I don't know if/when she ever goes back to "normal." My level of caution has definitely lessened some since vaccination when it comes to masks, until whatever I have now hit.

Comment

We just went out last weekend and ate in a real-life restaurant without masks for the first time since pre-Covid, even during the times when we weren't eating. We also went to a BBQ at our friends. Four families. Kids wore masks but all the vaxxed grownups were maskless. So I guess we would have to qualify as less careful. Still, my wife has two colleagues over today, but they're all wearing masks, even with vaccination.

Comment

I'm pretty much the same. We still have a few places that request masks, so I mask up there, but if not requested, I don't wear one. I don't wear one outside at all anymore, and am no longer worried if people pass close to me. My gym eliminated their required mask rule a couple weeks ago, so I'm not wearing one there. Though it's the time of year where there's very few people in the gym, too.
                              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

How about now?
                                less careful, because I'm vaccinated....but still careful. Outdoors i don't wear a mask, but I never really did unless I was going to be around people. I'd be comfortable eating outside with people around and no mask, but still maintain distance of 6-10 feet if there are unvaccinated people. For my anniversary last month we went out and planned to eat outside, but it was chilly so we ate indoors without masks, but only because there was a table 15 feet away from anyone else. So I'm less careful, but I still am not back to pre-covid behavior. Still wear a mask when I go out to the grocery store, pickup food, etc
                                ---------------------------------------------
                                Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                                ---------------------------------------------
                                The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Working...
                                X