No announcement yet.

*** VD 16 Discussion Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not in a huge rush to be honest. We did two almost back-to-back so I'm fine taking a decent break.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
      It's not unfeasible, i'm down for BY Franchise. Different is good. But we need Ken to do some work, and he's busy now ... and even then I will need to spend a lot of time to trim back the BY's.

There are ways around it ... for instance, we could have a separate player sheet that is sortable, then we update the sheet with selected years if need be.

... then over time the draftable years will gradually get added.

But that will still take a bit of time, and if we want to start another draft straight away, we can't do this right now.

I worry that a BY Franchise draft without all the info made sortable and available will create an uneven playing field ... like the early vintage drafts.
      Gimme a task and I’ll get it done for you. Point me what you need.

I’m spending time with family on “vacation” but I still have some time.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
        Gimme a task and I’ll get it done for you. Point me what you need.

I’m spending time with family on “vacation” but I still have some time.
        I'm going through the files you gave me before ... you may have done enough. I'll let you know.

Thx

Comment

How about this for simple and fun---a whole new, but very trimmed down spreadsheet would be needed. Same rules as VD 15, but it is BY only. Franchise is by default BY, and it is just tracked manually by what is typed in the rounds sheet. It turns all kinds of values upside down---Aaron's probably a 4th rounder at best---and gives something different. Since there isn't that much to keep track of, it should be easy enough to track franchises manually (assuming the franchise in the round sheet can go to the snapshot sheet). Change deadball rule to 1919 for pitchers and exclude 1890's and it goes by BY, too. For CH, it can be 1992-2004 or something, and the same thing. We'd have to track manually again, but with less moving parts, it shouldn't be too bad. OEF can stay OEF and be both better and worse (some of the OEF guys have their best seasons at other major franchises). And it will get a whole different set of values. Everything we already know thrown out the window in an instant.

Comment

The more I think about this idea, the more I like it. Positional eligibility is based on 20 games in the season, so O'Rourke has to be used in an ugly year for him to be a catcher, for example. Make the spreadsheet way scaled down--just the stats for the seasons and the scoring, and everything else is done manually.

Comment

Proof of concept.

Only vd 15 is loaded - select that, hit apply and you'll see something similar to the rounds page.
              The pitchers page won't show anything, but the batters on lets you filters by year. It currently just sorts by hr desc.

Vintage Drafts

Lahman Batters
              people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

I had to turn my phone sideways to get the dropdowns to show. I'll adjust it do that's not necessary
                people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

nIFTY
                  I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Time to start rallying the troops for VD16 ?
                    ---------------------------------------------
                    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                    ---------------------------------------------
                    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

The seasons probably weren't long enough for it to make a difference in VD unfortunately unless someone has a really interesting last name.
                      In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Actually, after finding a better stats repository (https://www.seamheads.com/NegroLgs/h...b=bat_basic_at), there are a couple real standouts.

Josh Gibson (C, 1943): 281 AB, 101 R, 20 HR, 112 RBI, 5 SB, .441 AVG; career 238 HR, 883 R, 1040 RBI, 54 SB, .365 AVG probably becomes a very high pick, especially in a decades league.

Oscar Charleston (OF/1B) played for a long time but his best years were in the 20s and there's no absurd standout in any category other than AVG, but there are some options:
                        Career: 5810 AB, 211 HR, 1396 R, 1319 RBI, 367 SB, .350 AVG are all solid
                        1919: 180 AB, 48 R, 8 HR, 45 RBI, 16 SB, .400 AVG if you wanted to weasel a bad decade
                        1921: 307 AB, 108 R, 17 HR, 101 RBI, 32 SB, .423 AVG

Monte Irvin (OF, 1942): 255 AB, 81 R, 21 HR, 90 RBI, 11 SB, .412 AVG; career including Negro and Major League time: 3792 AB, 656 R, 160 HR, 781 RBI, 65 SB, .311 AVG is a decent career upgrade and if there's a decades-and-letters draft that 1942 is quite good, though his 1951 might be better if the year doesn't matter (94 R, 24 HR, 121 RBI, 12 SB are all upgrades, but 558 AB of .312 AVG is not great)

Satchel Paige (P, 1934): 149.2 IP, 14 W, 0 SV, 157 K, 1.50 ERA, 0.869 WHIP; career including Negro and Major League time: 2039.0 IP, 143 W, 48 SV, 2.58 ERA, 1.097 WHIP

Interestingly Luis Tiant picks up a bunch of pretty bad years. There's nothing you'd use as a BY, and you get 705 IP of 3.93 ERA, 1.446 WHIP.
                        In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

How will we incorporate Negro League stats into the next VD?

Comment

Working...
                          X