No announcement yet.

CoronaVirus Cooking.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK, so long time no try new stuff. Until this weekend.

Baking--it's here!

More so my wife, but she's starting into the baking of bread realm.

Started with some French bread baguette-ish things that were just OK, a little dense and more like biscuits than bread. BUT she's determined to get it right with everything from Sourdough to pizza crust.

She WAS using the vintage Betty Crocker cookbook, but she's moved on to a few youTube chefs she prefers.

Anyone in here a decent/semi-pro baker? Any tips for my gal?

TIA, I hope you're all enjoying nights out where you don't have to cook now that the lockdowns are lifted!
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
      OK, so long time no try new stuff. Until this weekend.

Baking--it's here!

More so my wife, but she's starting into the baking of bread realm.

Started with some French bread baguette-ish things that were just OK, a little dense and more like biscuits than bread. BUT she's determined to get it right with everything from Sourdough to pizza crust.

She WAS using the vintage Betty Crocker cookbook, but she's moved on to a few youTube chefs she prefers.

Anyone in here a decent/semi-pro baker? Any tips for my gal?

TIA, I hope you're all enjoying nights out where you don't have to cook now that the lockdowns are lifted!
      I remember reading Julia Child's experiences with trying to bake french bread ... she said it took her a couple of years before she was happy with it, and that it had to do with the humidity level in the oven ... baking bread well is a real labor of love
      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
        I remember reading Julia Child's experiences with trying to bake french bread ... she said it took her a couple of years before she was happy with it, and that it had to do with the humidity level in the oven ... baking bread well is a real labor of love
        yeah the guy she found uses a 5qt dutch oven for round loaves, says it takes care of the humidity as opposed to all the stuff you have to do to keep the humidity going in a regular oven. That's a whole different level of accommodation.
        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Made Slasher Chili for the first time in a year....good as ever.

I also had a nice appetizer at a greek restaurant outside of Cincinnati which i found a recipe for. It is easy, healthy, cheap, and tasty. Also vegetarian and climate friendly. Why would you not try this ? It's kinda like taboulleh, but beans instead of bulger wheat or whatever.

Piyaz is a flavorful Turkish navy bean salad full of fresh veggies and protein. Make it in 15 minutes for a full meal or healthy mezze dish!

I used Paprika instead of Sumac.
          ---------------------------------------------
          Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
            Made Slasher Chili for the first time in a year....good as ever.

I also had a nice appetizer at a greek restaurant outside of Cincinnati which i found a recipe for. It is easy, healthy, cheap, and tasty. Also vegetarian and climate friendly. Why would you not try this ? It's kinda like taboulleh, but beans instead of bulger wheat or whatever.

Piyaz is a flavorful Turkish navy bean salad full of fresh veggies and protein. Make it in 15 minutes for a full meal or healthy mezze dish!

I mean besides the fact that some guy named the Feral Slasher posted it on the internet
            The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Made Slasher Chili for the first time in a year....good as ever.

Slasher chili on tonight....been a long time. With the new sight upgrade I had a little trouble finding this....but it's easy to post.
              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Slasher chili on tonight....been a long time. With the new sight upgrade I had a little trouble finding this....but it's easy to post.
                I remember trying this, it was pretty tasty if I recall. As usual made WAY too much so burnt out a bit after eating a few days in a row :P

Looking back at this thread--I can say the baking has turned out well. Pam makes 2 loaves of Sourdough each week and it's excellent--it did take a while to get there, but now it's pretty routine for her.

Made some of that RJ pineapple/siracha coleslaw yesterday to go with some pork ribs and home fries, great way to spend a lazy Sunday.

Hope you're having a good one as well!

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Made this last night and it was f'n delicious (my wife's words, not mine)
                  dbce19f0643e0a5f.png

Comment

• Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                    Made this last night and it was f'n delicious (my wife's words, not mine)
                    dbce19f0643e0a5f.png
                    Something new to try!!

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

dbce19f0643e0a5f.png
                      So did you like it?

Comment

• Oh, I did too but I'm biased after putting in the time to make it as well as some homemade artisan bread on Sunday

Comment

• Just made some calzones using the dough from Trader Joe's. It's kind of a hassle, but damn tasty.

I think I made my best spaghetti sauce this time. Olive oil to cover the pan on low heat, add as much garlic as you can handle and some fresh basel (red pepper flakes if you like the heat). Simmer for 15 to 30 minutes on very low heat, don't burn the garlic. Add a few table spoons of butter and half an onion finely chopped, turn up the heat slightly. When the onions are translucent add two cans of tomato sauce. Add whatever italian seasoning/spices you want to, salt and pepper, and let it cook for a bit.. I probably should write down a more specific recipe for next time.
                          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

dbce19f0643e0a5f.png
                            that sounds great.
                            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Made some chicken thighs on the Traeger tonight...tried a new recipe and it was so-so. Lots of paprika and I finally found Sumac to add, but it was too pungent and not enough salt. My dog liked it a lot though. Anyone else got some new recipes to share ?
                              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Made some chicken thighs on the Traeger tonight...tried a new recipe and it was so-so. Lots of paprika and I finally found Sumac to add, but it was too pungent and not enough salt. My dog liked it a lot though. Anyone else got some new recipes to share ?
                                I've been experimenting/perfecting salsas lately. I've got my Grilled Salsa Verde to the point I really, really like it. I tried a new one with Citrus and Habanero, it was actually very good.
                                Ingredients
                                • 2 oranges peeled and cut into supreme style segments
                                • 1 grapefruit peeled and cut into supreme style segments
                                • 2 blood oranges peeled and cut into supreme style segments
                                • 2-3 mandarins or tangerines peeled and sliced or cut smaller
                                • 8-10 kumquats sliced
                                • 2-3 habanero peppers* seeds and veins removed, finely diced
                                • ½ red onion finely diced – about 1 cup diced
                                • Juice from 1 lime
                                • 2 tablespoons of finely chopped cilantro
                                • 1 teaspoon ground cumin or 1 tablespoon of toasted cumin seeds
                                • Salt to taste
                                Instructions
                                • Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Taste and adjust cumin/salt to taste.
                                • For best results, let it marinate for at least 30 minutes before serving.
                                Notes

*Use gloves when handling the habanero peppers

I had a hard time learning/executing the supreme cut for the citrus, so my wife bailed me out on that. All in all it's a really nice salsa, the heat comes in at the end, very tasty.​

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Working...
                                X