Police Officers Are Mostly Parasites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steve 2.0 View Post
    I'm hardly a conservative, but I think that cops have a tough go. Are there some bad ones? Yes, I know there are and they should be kicked out when found out. I know that I sure has hell wouldn't want that job, but I've recently had a couple of encounters with my local police force that were most positive. One of my "pet peeves" is when people paint with broad brushes.
    Good post.

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
      I've wanted to start this thread for a while to track police abuse.

Police recently killed someone for bicycling without proper lighting. When the 3 officers realize they killed the guy, all 3 body cameras go off at once.

https://blackamericaweb.com/2019/09/...-safety-light/
      I think your message would be much more effective without the biased headline like "police recently killed someone for bicycling without proper lighting". That's massive hyperbole which takes away from the real problem. Clearly they did not kill someone FOR bicycling, that's not anywhere close to the truth. They killed someone after a police chase on foot, an armed individual who tried to escape police since he was in an electric monitoring program and had failed to check in.

It made zero difference that he was on a bike. He could have been on a car. Or in his own home. So focusing on that in order to elicit a response is a poor choice, it takes away from the real issue.

The REAL issue is the treatment once he was caught. The knee in the back cannot be something that is needed for more than a few seconds while cuffs are being applied. The lack of sympathy for a person trying to breathe is appalling. It's something out of a nightmare, can you imagine someone with their full weight on your back preventing you from breathing, while you are unable to protect yourself, who refuses to stop? Scary. The body cameras being turned off has no excuse. THESE items should be the focus. These are the points that need to be discussed. This cannot ever happen. It is completely unacceptable. Those involved need to be punished severely - they killed an innocent man, and should be punished accordingly, to the absolute fullest extent of the law.

It's not individual officers, or bad apples. They've spoiled the bunch, and the whole system is corrupt.

Hey, just my opinion. Let's put a percentage on it and say 90% of cops are more interested in protecting themselves than the community. I bet it's a lot higher when they first enter, probably 80%+ think they're doing it for the betterment of society, but they're trained as a force to intimidate and terrorize.

When the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
      Where are these numbers coming from? It seems like if we want to use percentages they should have data to back them up.

But I guess I hear you, in that you are saying the system is flawed. You may certainly be right. What do you propose be done to fix these problems? Lets get it fixed, what is your solution? How do you propose policing the police? Interested in real ideas here because as you noted, it's a serious problem that needs to be addressed. How can we realistically fix the toxic environment you describe?

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
        But I guess I hear you, in that you are saying the system is flawed. You may certainly be right. What do you propose be done to fix these problems? Lets get it fixed, what is your solution? How do you propose policing the police? Interested in real ideas here because as you noted, it's a serious problem that needs to be addressed. How can we realistically fix the toxic environment you describe?
        Here a few:

1) Lawsuits resulting in payouts due to corrupt/racist policing should be paid from their pension system, rather than the taxpayers, that would clean this shit up real quick.

2) Mandatory body cameras on every single officer and automatic unpaid suspension if any camera is turned off. And termination for multiple infractions (say, three strikes).

3) Stop training our police forces in militaristic methods and giving them millions of dollars worth of unnecessary military equipment.

4) End civil asset forfeiture.
        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
          Here a few:

1) Lawsuits resulting in payouts due to corrupt/racist policing should be paid from their pension system, rather than the taxpayers, that would clean this shit up real quick.

2) Mandatory body cameras on every single officer and automatic unpaid suspension if any camera is turned off. And termination for multiple infractions (say, three strikes).

3) Stop training our police forces in militaristic methods and giving them millions of dollars worth of unnecessary military equipment.

Love these. Every one of them should be put in place.

Comment

Here a few:

I can get behind the idea of the pension fund paying for a percentage definitely at least 50%. That would help police keep themselves in check.

Agree with the body cameras, as well.

I never understood why the Obama Adminstrtation started givng police military vehices, etc.

I would like to see the civil fofrieture laws really tightened up. They are ridiculous and keep people in poverty stuck there.

How that for conservative thinking.
            "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
            - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
            - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

Just for consideration, in the category of unintended consequences - part of the reason that body worn cameras (and dash cameras) aren't on all the time are the costs to manage the massive amounts of video that police services need to manage.
              It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

https://www.salon.com/2018/03/16/mor...rian-politics/

Instead of mocking me, try reading. There's dozens of references if you just google "conservatives support authoritarianism".
                I'm not sure that's the article you want to use against ITC and Steve. First of all, it's a left leaning source, so I doubt that's the type of article you'd want to use as a reasonable explanation of a question about the right. But regardless, I don't think it says what you think it says.

Here's the relevant quotes IMO:

"The highest levels of support for authoritarian leadership come from those who are disaffected, disengaged from politics, deeply distrustful of experts, culturally conservative, and have negative attitudes toward racial minorities"

"Support for authoritarian leadership is concentrating in the Republican Party, and its elites are doing little to push back. In our highly polarized two-party system, this poses the risk that future partisan conflict could become a battle over democracy itself."

So somehow you are taking that to mean that "Conservatives usually support authoritarianism"?

That's not what the article says at all.

And here's another one just for fun since it goes 100% against what you said:

"So when it comes to American authoritarianism, perhaps the problem isn’t so much Mr. Trump as it is hyper-partisanship"

The article is saying that the highest support for authoritarianism comes from those conservatives who are DISENGAGED from politics, and specifically racists. And it says that the party itself isn't pushing back against that group. Both of which certainly may be true. But how are you reading that to say that conservatives are USUALLY supporting authoritarianism? That's not at all what your article says. That's garbage broad brush painting that does no good, and hence the pushback from a couple others here.

Comment

Trump is undoubtedly an authoritarian and the Republican Party has become the Trump Party, so those who have embraced him are at the very least enabling authoritarianism if not outright embracing it. Sure there are still some Republicans who do not support Trump, but not many. But that doesn't mean it applies to anyone in here.
                  If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                  - Terence McKenna

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                    Just for consideration, in the category of unintended consequences - part of the reason that body worn cameras (and dash cameras) aren't on all the time are the costs to manage the massive amounts of video that police services need to manage.
                    Given where we're at technologically, there have to be ways to implement systems where they're automatically activated any time an officer responds to a call or engages with a civilian.
                    - Terence McKenna

Comment

Trump is undoubtedly an authoritarian and the Republican Party has become the Trump Party, so those who have embraced him are at the very least enabling authoritarianism if not outright embracing it.
                      I can't disagree with that - although oddly the article referenced with "Instead of mocking me, try reading" said "perhaps the problem isn’t so much Mr. Trump as it is hyper-partisanship"

Sure there are still some Republicans who do not support Trump, but not many.
                      Sad, but true. Also, of note conservative and Republican are used interchangeably at times but, while there is a massive overlap, those are not always equivalent.

But that doesn't mean it applies to anyone in here.
                      *ding ding ding* exactly - that's the trouble with the broad brush

Comment

Given where we're at technologically, there have to be ways to implement systems where they're automatically activated any time an officer responds to a call or engages with a civilian.
                        Yes, and in more detail, specifically tagging data.

The random driving down the street is recorded, but ages out quickly and gets overwritten.

The "active police work" data (lets say the vehicle is stopped at any location other than the police HQ, or the vehicle is driving over X mph) ages out much more slowly.

The "positively tagged as an ongoing case" data (i.e. there is a trial coming up, or there was a trial within x months and a person went in and tagged it) ages out even more slowly.

It's a tiering system. I use a similar system all the time (but not related to this topic obviously).

Also, the nice thing is that data gets cheaper over time. We are always finding newer/better/smaller/denser ways of storage.
                        Last edited by Ken; 09-20-2019, 11:11 AM.

Comment

This thread is hilarious to me... everybody saying that I'm morally bankrupt and then DMT makes all of the points I would have while I'm sleeping... the result, DMT is given credit for good points, while I'm still somehow a peddler of trash, and broad brush strokes.

Gregg, Ken, ITC... you guys are so biased to disagree with anything I say. The bullshit snide responses and acting like I'm morally bankrupt... it really sucks. I guess I'm done whining, but I'm just completely sick of the anti-TW shtick interfering with legitimate conversation.
                          Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

This thread is hilarious to me... everybody saying that I'm morally bankrupt and then DMT makes all of the points I would have while I'm sleeping... the result, DMT is given credit for good points, while I'm still somehow a peddler of trash, and broad brush strokes.

Gregg, Ken, ITC... you guys are so biased to disagree with anything I say. The bullshit snide responses and acting like I'm morally bankrupt... it really sucks. I guess I'm done whining, but I'm just completely sick of the anti-TW shtick interfering with legitimate conversation.
                            You get pushback because you attack people and often distort what they're saying. Several posters have acknowledged that you offer valuable contributions and insights, but unfortunately they're drowned out. And it's a continuing pattern so understandably people are defensive (and resistant). It's not helping advance your message.
                            - Terence McKenna

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                              Yes, and in more detail, specifically tagging data.

The random driving down the street is recorded, but ages out quickly and gets overwritten.

The "active police work" data (lets say the vehicle is stopped at any location other than the police HQ, or the vehicle is driving over X mph) ages out much more slowly.

The "positively tagged as an ongoing case" data (i.e. there is a trial coming up, or there was a trial within x months and a person went in and tagged it) ages out even more slowly.

It's a tiering system. I use a similar system all the time (but not related to this topic related obviously).

Also, the nice thing is that data gets cheaper over time. We are always finding newer/better/smaller/denser ways of storage.
                              My single biggest police issue is body cameras. I think they solve a lot of corruption issues if used correctly. DMT made 4 awesome points about ending corruption. I would add to the body camera requirement.

The proper way to use body cameras is to disallow officers from turning them on/off. Control should be external. If cameras are covered or obscured, it's easier to determine that it's being done purposefully, and would still record sound.
                              Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

My single biggest police issue is body cameras. I think they solve a lot of corruption issues if used correctly. DMT made 4 awesome points about ending corruption. I would add to the body camera requirement.

The proper way to use body cameras is to disallow officers from turning them on/off. Control should be external. If cameras are covered or obscured, it's easier to determine that it's being done purposefully, and would still record sound.
                                Absolutely no reason officers should be able to turn them off.

I got pulled over once and, even though I passed all the field sobriety tests, he still arrested me on a DUI charge because I refused to take the breathalyzer (on prior advice from my friends who are lawyers). Lo and behold his dash camera mysteriously was turned off, er "malfuncitioned".
                                - Terence McKenna

Comment

Working...
                                X