Vaping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vaping

This was part of the Trump thread, but it seems to me it should have it's own thread.

Taking the politics of no action on gun control and cigarettes, thoughts about banning vaping?

Vaping is relatively new, within the last ten years has it really hit the mainstream. It's nothing that appeals to me, at all. I'm amazed at the number of people who do vape, and almost every one of them does as an alternative to cigarette smoking. Should all vaping being illegal, or just the flavored cartridges? While there is little doubt flavored tobacco and cartridges are geared towards kids, does that mean adults shouldn't have the oppotrunity to enjoy said product?

Many people believe the deaths/illness point to vaping cartridges with tainted THC. If they can pinpoint these deaths to THC, are we over-reacting?
    "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
    - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
    - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Originally posted by In the Corn View Post
    This was part of the Trump thread, but it seems to me it should have it's own thread.

Taking the politics of no action on gun control and cigarettes, thoughts about banning vaping?

Vaping is relatively new, within the last ten years has it really hit the mainstream. It's nothing that appeals to me, at all. I'm amazed at the number of people who do vape, and almost every one of them does as an alternative to cigarette smoking. Should all vaping being illegal, or just the flavored cartridges? While there is little doubt flavored tobacco and cartridges are geared towards kids, does that mean adults shouldn't have the oppotrunity to enjoy said product?

Many people believe the deaths/illness point to vaping cartridges with tainted THC. If they can pinpoint these deaths to THC, are we over-reacting?
    Let me explain how vaping marijuana works, vs vaping e-cigarette juice.

Vaping marijuana is similar to smoking marijuana which is similar to eating cannabis-infused marijuana, which is similar to smoking shatter (concentrate used with torch). They all have slightly different sensations, and each person experiences each method differently. My wife prefers smoking a joint. I prefer several one hitters or a bong.

The benefits to vape marijuana are multiple. First, unlike e-cig giant smoke plumes, vaping weed is not too smoky, and usually quite odorless. If people live in buildings with no smoking policies, this is an option to not offend neighbors. It's also great for people seeking pain relief who have a hard time with the harshness of smoking, whereas vaping is more gentle on the lungs. The product used in vaping marijuana is simply ground cannabis heated to the point of vaporization.

Now, I know far less about e-cigs, so perhaps someone else can elaborate more. But I believe e-digs are just all the toxic chemicals from cigarettes but in a hyper concentrated package.

I view e-cigs as the equivalent of smoking shatter for stoners. It's a concentrated dose of all the good stuff cigarettes are laced with, able to be ingested more easily due to a less physically taxing method of ingestion. That sounds super scary to me.

Look up "dabbing 420" and you'll see people smoking insanely high concentrates of marijuana, like the equivalent of 1000 joints all in one massive dab (heated coil via blowtorch until red hot, smoking the concentrated gooey weed extraction). Despite the extremes some internet stoners are pushing themselves to, none of these people have developed any unusual health issues.

If these deaths are due to THC devices, I need more info, cuz weed hasn't killed 1 person via consumption alone. Maybe if the weed devices are exploding in peoples faces?
    Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

There is a legitimate public health concern about the product that I believe is different in kind than traditional cigarettes, in that we have far less knowledge about the potential immediate/short-term risks of use, including risk of death. People have become ill and died much, much quicker upon initiating use of the product than anything we've seen with traditional cigarettes. The FDA has a very strong basis to pull these from the market pending more research, just as they could or should with a prescription drug that is suspected of causing a material number of patient deaths. If they can pinpoint the deaths to THC lacing then maybe they can let them back into the market, but recall/pull the stuff now and let's figure it out before more people die.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
        There is a legitimate public health concern about the product that I believe is different in kind than traditional cigarettes, in that we have far less knowledge about the potential immediate/short-term risks of use, including risk of death. People have become ill and died much, much quicker upon initiating use of the product than anything we've seen with traditional cigarettes. The FDA has a very strong basis to pull these from the market pending more research, just as they could or should with a prescription drug that is suspected of causing a material number of patient deaths. If they can pinpoint the deaths to THC lacing then maybe they can let them back into the market, but recall/pull the stuff now and let's figure it out before more people die.
        yeah I heard a doctor on the radio up here talking about this recently, and his line was something like "I don't know who thought that taking liquids, vaporizing them, and then spraying them on the inside of your lungs wouldn't come with unknown risks ... "
        It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Walmart said Friday it will stop selling e-cigarettes.
          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

i try to keep in mind how many people are doing it when calculating risks. if it is a big risk but less people doing it it's not as much of a concern to overall public health. but if it's a small risk but everyone doing it and then there turns out to be a hazard, there could be a big problem. like cell phones. whether you mean physically or psychologically or sociologically. the fact so many people use them, even small risk will have a big impact. whether or not there has been time to do long term studies.

and there's a concern that by the time a long term study is done, it's become such a staple of everyday life there will be too much resistance to remedy. kind of like global warming i guess. it'll affect everyone and it's a big risk, but the current way of doing things is such a fabric of society, it will be hard to cure.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
              yeah I heard a doctor on the radio up here talking about this recently, and his line was something like "I don't know who thought that taking liquids, vaporizing them, and then spraying them on the inside of your lungs wouldn't come with unknown risks ... "
              sounds sort of like fluid mechanics, one of the hardest if not hardest things to understand. tons of people die from air pollution every year. the saying goes if there is no air filter, your lungs are the filter.

i remember doing the math for silicosis, which is what masons would get when cutting bricks that contained 1% silicon. took over 20 years to kill you. then i looked at the content of silicon in the formula for making solar panels, boron which can make you sterile. so if you were a worker in the solar panel industry (which i did for a year, it's a nasty process), and you were breathing silicon dust, i forget the content but it amounted to 5 years. so it really depends on how small the particles are to making it to your lungs, and they have to be pretty small. and then whether or not your body or white blood cells can break them down in time.

Comment

Looks like the they found what the culprit was with the vaping illnesses. Vitamin E acetate used with vaping THC products: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/va...ays/ar-BBWtDQ0

Comment

The legal smoking/vaping age in the U.S. has been raised to 21.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/20/healt...-bn/index.html

Raising the legal age to purchase tobacco products in the United States from 18 to 21 marks a major public health achievement for the White House. There already have been several states that have individually passed legislation to raise the tobacco-buying age to 21.
                  As of December, 19 states have raised the minimum age to buy tobacco products to 21, according to the nonprofit Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids: Arkansas, California, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia and Washington.
                  Washington, DC, and more than 500 cities and towns also have raised the age.
                  “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

The FDA has banned the sale of all Juul electronic cigarettes in the U.S. The products included in the ban are the JUUL device and four types of Juul pods: Virginia tobacco-flavored pods and menthol-flavored pods both with nicotine concentrations of 5.0% and 3.0%, the FDA said.

Juul’s e-cigarettes contain nicotine in the form of a liquid vaporized by the device. The FDA has been concerned that they may contribute to the rise in youth vaping rates.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                      The FDA has banned the sale of all Juul electronic cigarettes in the U.S. The products included in the ban are the JUUL device and four types of Juul pods: Virginia tobacco-flavored pods and menthol-flavored pods both with nicotine concentrations of 5.0% and 3.0%, the FDA said.

Juul’s e-cigarettes contain nicotine in the form of a liquid vaporized by the device. The FDA has been concerned that they may contribute to the rise in youth vaping rates.
                      How does the Pen feel about this?

Good idea, bad idea, gray area?

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                        How does the Pen feel about this?

Good idea, bad idea, gray area?
                        It is incumbent upon Congress to protect the welfare of children and ban those things that cause their unnecessary deaths. So obviously that means......banning vapes?

Err, I mean, vapes don't kill people. People kill people.
                        More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                          It is incumbent upon Congress to protect the welfare of children and ban those things that cause their unnecessary deaths. So obviously that means......banning vapes?

Err, I mean, vapes don't kill people. People kill people.
                          Any chance I could get an answer to my question?

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                            Any chance I could get an answer to my question?
                            I think this stems from Juul's refusal to cooperate with federal investigators rather than an earnest effort to protect children.

I also think that if Juul pays the FDA (or maybe prevails in the inevitable upcoming lawsuit) that this may go away.
                            More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Working...
                            X