College Admissions Cheating Scandal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College Admissions Cheating Scandal

Whoa, this is crazy. Wealthy parents, including actresses Lori Loughlin and Felicty Huffman, are accused of paying a fixer to either bribe college admission officials or proctors to help students cheat on the SATs, in order to have their kids get admitted to prestigious schools across the country.

Allegedly Huffman was well-aware of the exact nature of the scheme she paid for, and Loughlin's kids were admitted to USC because a crew coach was bribed to vouch for her kids as being great at the sport -- one they didn't even play.

Both face felonies and jail time.

The ringleader just pleaded guilty and faces 65 years in federal prison.

so there are people that thought rich people don't bribe schools to get their kids preferential treatment???
    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
      so there are people that thought rich people don't bribe schools to get their kids preferential treatment???
      Well, they always did, but kind of out in the open through large "donations" to the school (i.e. Fred Trump making a large donation to Wharton so lil' Plumpy Dumpy could get in). Paying someone off to look the other way while a 40-year old academic with a heavy beard takes the SAT as 16-year old Muffy Jones is another story.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
        Whoa, this is crazy. Wealthy parents, including actresses Lori Loughlin and Felicty Huffman, are accused of paying a fixer to either bribe college admission officials or proctors to help students cheat on the SATs, in order to have their kids get admitted to prestigious schools across the country.

Allegedly Huffman was well-aware of the exact nature of the scheme she paid for, and Loughlin's kids were admitted to USC because a crew coach was bribed to vouch for her kids as being great at the sport -- one they didn't even play.

Both face felonies and jail time.

The ringleader just pleaded guilty and faces 65 years in federal prison.
        Hahahahahahaha...sure they will go go jail!!
        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
          Hahahahahahaha...sure they will go go jail!!
          Do you think they should?

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
            Do you think they should?
            If they are guilty of fraud or whatever they are charged with it seems like jail time would be appropriate.
            ---------------------------------------------
            Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
            The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                If they are guilty of fraud or whatever they are charged with it seems like jail time would be appropriate.
                Agree.
                "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

LMAO!

Last edited by madducks; 03-13-2019, 01:56 PM.
                  “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

After thoughtful consideration and much soul searching I have decided that I can no longer in good conscience watch Desperate Housewives re-runs or the anything on the Hallmark Channel.
                    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

These defendants appear drawn from the demographic who maybe isn't quite rich enough to buy the college a new library but who are rich enough to pay for college application and college essay consultants and private tutors and application-burnishing trips to build huts in Guatemala or private athletic coaches and expensive club sports, etc. The demographic who often complains about race-based affirmative action programs, too. Obviously this is blatant fraud and bribery, but it's part of a broader issue of unearned privilege. And while it doesn't appear the colleges and universities at the admissions or leadership level (beyond athletic coaches) are directly implicated, why the heck should there be side-door admissions processes for kids who play expensive non-revenue generating sports like crew and water polo and fencing in the first place? At least with revenue generating sports like football and basketball (only at the Division I level there, even), there's a dollars and cents justification for sliding standards, rather than just amplifying pre-existing privilege.

Comment

Originally posted by b-fly View Post
                        these defendants appear drawn from the demographic who maybe isn't quite rich enough to buy the college a new library but who are rich enough to pay for college application and college essay consultants and private tutors and application-burnishing trips to build huts in guatemala or private athletic coaches and expensive club sports, etc. The demographic who often complains about race-based affirmative action programs, too. Obviously this is blatant fraud and bribery, but it's part of a broader issue of unearned privilege. And while it doesn't appear the colleges and universities at the admissions or leadership level (beyond athletic coaches) are directly implicated, why the heck should there be side-door admissions processes for kids who play expensive non-revenue generating sports like crew and water polo and fencing in the first place? At least with revenue generating sports like football and basketball (only at the division i level there, even), there's a dollars and cents justification for sliding standards, rather than just amplifying pre-existing privilege.
                        "because we're rich dammit!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                          why the heck should there be side-door admissions processes for kids who play expensive non-revenue generating sports like crew and water polo and fencing in the first place? At least with revenue generating sports like football and basketball (only at the Division I level there, even), there's a dollars and cents justification for sliding standards, rather than just amplifying pre-existing privilege.
                          I think the question of why should there be side-door admissions processes for kids who play any sports is the easiest to tackle. There shouldn't. It makes sense for sports to provide a scholarship, it doesn't make sense for sports to change entrance requirements.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                            I think the question of why should there be side-door admissions processes for kids who play any sports is the easiest to tackle. There shouldn't. It makes sense for sports to provide a scholarship, it doesn't make sense for sports to change entrance requirements.
                            so - everybody needs to meet the same academic standards then money can be alloted for scholarships based on what?

that doesnt really work either - it is too complicated for that

Comment

Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
                              so - everybody needs to meet the same academic standards then money can be alloted for scholarships based on what?

that doesnt really work either - it is too complicated for that
                              Huh? All I'm saying is eliminate the loophole of "if you are a star athlete you don't have to pass our academic requirements to come to our college"

Entrance and funding are separate topics.

How is that "too complicated"?

Comment

Working...
                              X