Page 1556 of 1560 FirstFirst ... 556105614561506154615541555155615571558 ... LastLast
Results 15,551 to 15,560 of 15596

Thread: *** VD 13 Commentary Thread ***

Journeyman
    Yankees - Joe Torre? Casey Stengel?
    “I think the tragedy is that we have a Congress with a Senate that has a minority of misguided senators who will use the filibuster to keep the majority of people from even voting.” —Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., 1963

Down the river ..................from PNC Park
    For the Pirates, Danny Murtaugh was the most successful with WS wins in 1960 & 1971. But, i think Chuck Tanner with a WS win in 1979 would be the most iconic manager in Pirates history. I think the optimistic and easy-going Tanner was more well liked by the fans and media than the hard-nosed Murtaugh. When i was a kid i think my grandmother had a secret crush on Chuck Tanner. Every time Tanner was giving an interview on TV, she would stop in her tracks to watch the TV and say, "He is such a nice man".
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

The Pirates were down 3 games to 1 in the 1979 World Series when manager Chuck Tanner's mother passed away the morning of game 5. Tanner told his players in the locker room before the game: “She knew we were in trouble, so she went upstairs to get us some help.” Relief pitcher Kent Tekulve said the players already knew of her death, but after Tanner's brief announcement, "Everyone's jaw dropped, and we all just looked at each other." The Pirates rallied to win the next 3 games and the World Series.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Welcome to the Big Leagues, Kid hacko's Avatar
    Cleveland-
    Mike Hargrove tho Tito is right there.

Trivia of the Day
    Greg Maddox faced 20,421 batters and went to 3-0 on only 133 of them

Quote Originally Posted by hacko View Post
    Cleveland-
    Mike Hargrove tho Tito is right there.

Trivia of the Day
    Greg Maddox faced 20,421 batters and went to 3-0 on only 133 of them
    I'm thinking that a lot of those 3-0 counts were against Tony Gwynn. Maddux and Gwynn were fierce but friendly rivals who had a lot of great battles against each other.

― Albert Einstein

Well, if you asked any Phillies fan of at least somewhat of an age, Gene Mauch would be the Manager chosen to epitomize the Phillies.

In late September 1964, his Phillies had a record of 90–60, a 6+1⁄2-game lead in the National League with 12 games left to play, and were starting a 7-game home stand. Mauch decided to start his two pitching aces, Jim Bunning and Chris Short, in 7 of the last 10 games, 4 of those starts on 2 days' rest (all of which they lost). The Phillies faded, losing 10 games in a row before winning their last 2 games to finish tied for second place with the Cincinnati Reds, one game behind the Johnny Keane's St. Louis Cardinals in a collapse infamously known as the "Phold."
    I wasn't even born then, but I don't have enough fingers and toes to count how many times my grandfather bitched about Gene Mauch.

Dallas Green is much loved for winning the 1980 World Series and staying with the organization for years in the front office.

Charlie Manual has the most wins, and greatest post season success, including the 2008 WS and the greatest sustained success in the organization's history.

Manual for the Win!
    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Joe Cronin has the most wins as a Redsox Manager, but Tito won 2 World Series, including the one the broke the curse.

Bill Simmons says Alex Cora is the best manager they have ever had.

I think you still have to go Francona though.

Journeyman
    Hmm if my math is right, and it's probably not, I got the most points and highest average points in our RJ football league's history.

I finished third.
    “I think the tragedy is that we have a Congress with a Senate that has a minority of misguided senators who will use the filibuster to keep the majority of people from even voting.” —Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., 1963

Quote Originally Posted by Bene Futuis View Post
    Hmm if my math is right, and it's probably not, I got the most points and highest average points in our RJ football league's history.

I finished third.
    Head to head fantasy is terrible. It's worse than arguing with MITH

Cripes, these 2k22 threads are making me feel really old today. I was here when they started the Y2K threads. What have I done with my life?