Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
    Aww, you guys are the best!
    All but that Eldiablo guy- he was a dick!

Comment

• Originally posted by hacko View Post
      All but that Eldiablo guy- he was a dick!
      some might say a bag of them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
        some might say a bag of them.
        You are what you eat ?
        ---------------------------------------------
        Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• so kev... reading the jokes about the Met's GM job... what are your career aspirations... where do you see yourself 5 years from now? Is your gig something that grows into GM or something someday?
          I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
            so kev... reading the jokes about the Met's GM job... what are your career aspirations... where do you see yourself 5 years from now? Is your gig something that grows into GM or something someday?
            In terms of strategy and vision of how to build a successful organization, player evaluation and development, and assembling a roster, those are things I enjoy and am good at. But there are some parts of the GM job that I don't think I would enjoy or be good at-- dealing with the media/PR, handling the business/financial side of it (not so much the payroll/contracts part, but the budgeting and accounting side), spending time with donors and rich supporters as a face of the franchise, and basically being on call and responsive and available 24/7. Also, I have seen that successful GMs have a deep network of connections around the game that they can draw on for advice, for references, and for hiring. While I have a deeper network now in the industry than I did a few years ago, I don't have anything approaching the network that my boss does.GM is really tough job, you have to be surrounded by really good people to be successful.
            "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

In terms of strategy and vision of how to build a successful organization, player evaluation and development, and assembling a roster, those are things I enjoy and am good at. But there are some parts of the GM job that I don't think I would enjoy or be good at-- dealing with the media/PR, handling the business/financial side of it (not so much the payroll/contracts part, but the budgeting and accounting side), spending time with donors and rich supporters as a face of the franchise, and basically being on call and responsive and available 24/7. Also, I have seen that successful GMs have a deep network of connections around the game that they can draw on for advice, for references, and for hiring. While I have a deeper network now in the industry than I did a few years ago, I don't have anything approaching the network that my boss does.GM is really tough job, you have to be surrounded by really good people to be successful.
              No doubt... but those things come with experience I'm sure. What would be the next logical step for a peer of yours with another team?

Comment

• I'm not sure I _want_ to be a GM. In fact, I'm pretty sure I don't. The demands on your time and your life are too great. There is a reason that job gets paid what it does, because they're basically asking for all of you. I want to enjoy my children growing up and actually see my wife and sit down to dinner with all of them. And I don't do well when I have to run at 100% all of the time. I need periods where I can pull back and reflect and not need to be accomplishing anything. I also see that the fame is tempting in a way that isn't healthy for me.
                "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Overheard from my daughter who was playing some kind of video game: "Dude, if the real Titanic was this irresponsible, half of the people would have died before it even hit the iceberg!"

Comment

• I just got my kid started up on Dungeons and Dragons. Man, I haven't played this in like 30 years - it's so fun. We spent most of the day creating characters. I also just learned that one of my buddies runs some sort of campaign for his kids and a couple other kids, lol. I'm so in!
                    More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                      I just got my kid started up on Dungeons and Dragons. Man, I haven't played this in like 30 years - it's so fun. We spent most of the day creating characters. I also just learned that one of my buddies runs some sort of campaign for his kids and a couple other kids, lol. I'm so in!
                      Fun!

I haven't played it in probably 40 years? I just remember having to stop because it was the devil's game.

My brother and I played it with the grandson of our neighbor when he came to visit for the summer.

Comment

I just got my kid started up on Dungeons and Dragons. Man, I haven't played this in like 30 years - it's so fun. We spent most of the day creating characters. I also just learned that one of my buddies runs some sort of campaign for his kids and a couple other kids, lol. I'm so in!
                        my brother and I played our own D and D game based on our limited experience from lord of the rings and rumors of Dungeons and Dragons. . We only had six sided dice and just made stuff up until we got what is probably an early version of the game. Just a gray booklet with some rudimentary rules. Then I think "advanced " D and D came out with fancy hard back books and we spent many late weekend nights playing. Later on we played another version and he ended up actually creating a book.
                        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                          my brother and I played our own D and D game based on our limited experience from lord of the rings and rumors of Dungeons and Dragons. . We only had six sided dice and just made stuff up until we got what is probably an early version of the game. Just a gray booklet with some rudimentary rules. Then I think "advanced " D and D came out with fancy hard back books and we spent many late weekend nights playing. Later on we played another version and he ended up actually creating a book.
                          it was something like this which is now worth hundreds of dollars

George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• and here is the book my brother wrote...kinda cool that I can find it on the interwebs.

George Orwell, 1984

Comment

That's great! You guys will have so much fun!
                              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

I'm not sure I _want_ to be a GM. In fact, I'm pretty sure I don't. The demands on your time and your life are too great. There is a reason that job gets paid what it does, because they're basically asking for all of you. I want to enjoy my children growing up and actually see my wife and sit down to dinner with all of them. And I don't do well when I have to run at 100% all of the time. I need periods where I can pull back and reflect and not need to be accomplishing anything. I also see that the fame is tempting in a way that isn't healthy for me.
                                Oh, sure, sure. Not pressuring you. Just curious what the possibilities are. I can completely understand (and agree with) your life priorities.

Comment

Working...
                                X