*** VD 13 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
    I think you're likely underselling yourself as well as the skillset you've developed over, what, 30 years in your industry? My wife thinks like you do and while it's true that opportunities are limited in her exact field, she has an insane amount of experience, training, and knowledge that will likely translate to any number of other jobs and job fields.
    thanks, I agree, I could certainly go out and sell myself. I could go get a job with another company. I don't doubt that. for better or worse I have a lot of incentive to stay with the company I am employed by for pension considerations. very fortunate to have a pension at this point

Maybe in a couple years when I am considering retirement I'll test the waters and see what kind of job I could get. Would actually be fun to interview for a job if you didn't care if you got it. I take that back, my interview today wasn't very fun
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Employers aren't doing you a favor. This is an exchange of labor for compensation. Look out for yourself, because sure as shit that's exactly what they're doing.
      Completely agree. Keep your CV/resume sharp and frequently updated, keep improving your skills, and always be flexible for new/better opportunities.

Got a little too carried away at the end there.
      I'm shocked. Shocked, I tell you.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

The next job interview I had was one I was only moderately psyched about and it was the first time I employed the "no, I'm interviewing you" strategy. It went swimmingly and I got offered the job on the spot. I've used that strategy every single time since with almost exclusively good results. I also require that I meet with several other employees, ones I pick, and interview other employees, too, to see what they think of the job. I had one potential employer turn me down on that front and I walked.
        I've had a very similar experience. The last couple times I looked for jobs (granted this was 15-20 years ago), I already had a solid job and I was just looking for something better and I treated as me interviewing them. It worked very well. I didn't try the idea of picking employees to interview. That's an interesting tactic.

This overall concept is especially true in the current market though. Employers are desperate for good employees right now and the market is pretty barren. It's an employee market and you should get everything you are looking for as a candidate. High standards.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post

This overall concept is especially true in the current market though. Employers are desperate for good employees right now and the market is pretty barren. It's an employee market and you should get everything you are looking for as a candidate. High standards.
          The best thing about those shitty places posting messages on their doors about how their workers are lazy and would rather sit at home all day is it makes it very clear what kind of establishment to avoid for the rest of all time.
          More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• I really enjoyed this article...lots of great info. I didn't realize that Leo Durocher was traded from the Dodgers to the Giants.

One of the most popular players and managers in his day, Hodges is the ultimate hard-luck Hall of Fame candidate.
                The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                  I really enjoyed this article...lots of great info. I didn't realize that Leo Durocher was traded from the Dodgers to the Giants.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2022-gol...te-gil-hodges/
                  "What’s more, biographer Danny Peary claims that in 1993, when Ted Williams led the Veterans Committee, he would not allow ailing committee member Roy Campanella to vote by phone; thus, Hodges missed by one vote. He’s never gotten any closer."

Fuck you, Ted Williams!
                  More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

"What’s more, biographer Danny Peary claims that in 1993, when Ted Williams led the Veterans Committee, he would not allow ailing committee member Roy Campanella to vote by phone; thus, Hodges missed by one vote. He’s never gotten any closer."

Fuck you, Ted Williams!
                    Yeah that was another interesting bit. Pretty crappy
                    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Happy Thanksgiving all you VDers. My two daughters are home from college, that is what I am most thankful for. Hope you all are able to spend time with friends and family.
                      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Happy Thanksgiving!
                        "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                          Happy Thanksgiving!
                          You too!

Do the Amish celebrate thanksgiving?

Comment

• Happy belated Thanksgiving, all y'alls.

Comment

• I don't even know what's going on here but I've watched this gif like 50 times. There's, um, a person that comes flying in? Wtf.

Comment

• Did you see this one?

I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Working...
                                X