Page 1547 of 1548 FirstFirst ... 54710471447149715371545154615471548 LastLast
Results 15,461 to 15,470 of 15480

Thread: *** VD 13 Commentary Thread ***

Journeyman
    The next job interview I had was one I was only moderately psyched about and it was the first time I employed the "no, I'm interviewing you" strategy. It went swimmingly and I got offered the job on the spot. I've used that strategy every single time since with almost exclusively good results. I also require that I meet with several other employees, ones I pick, and interview other employees, too, to see what they think of the job. I had one potential employer turn me down on that front and I walked.
    One day, just like a miracle, windmill cancer will disappear.

Quote Originally Posted by Bene Futuis View Post
    Honestly there was a breaking point for me. I was finishing up my MBA and looking for jobs. I had been the TA for the Business Ethics professor and got a line for an ethics officer job in Houston (red flag #1 - sorry to Texas bros here) working for a company that, in part, built bombs or some such horrible thing (red flag #2). They flew me out to Houston where I met with some fancy lady who spent the whole time bragging about herself and trying to casually drop trick ethics questions on me as we toured the place. There was a ton of international travel, which was cool, and the pay was waaaaaaay more than I'd ever made, which was much cooler.

I started off with the typical ass kissing "I would make a great addition to your team, you really are super neato, thankful for the opportunity, blah blah" bullshit. About halfway through the interminable interview process I realized that I hated the fucking business, couldn't stand this fucking lady, and would be betraying myself and my values by taking the job. A light went off in my head and I think I literally said "NEVER AGAIN" out loud, lol.

I told the lady that I thought she would be a nightmare to work for, that the company seemed to have no moral compass, and that while it was moderately ironic that I was applying for an ethics job in such a place, I had no intention of selling my soul like that. She looked shocked and made some snarky remark to me about some stupid fucking thing or other and I told her thanks for confirming my suspicions. I told her to call me a cab back to the airport (and make sure they paid for it, too). I even followed up with an email to her supervisor.

Employers aren't doing you a favor. This is an exchange of labor for compensation. Look out for yourself, because sure as shit that's exactly what they're doing. No one needs to feel like a little bitch in their job. No one should act like a bitch in order to enter into an employment transaction.
    good stuff. In my industry there just aren't many employers so I just have to suck it up, not really alternatives for employment if don't want to move my family to another state. Fortunately I am represented by a union which I have come to appreciate more as time goes on. My complaints about stupid PR stuff are more an annoyance than a big issue, thankfully. Would really be interesting to actually have possibilities to move to another company.
    ---------------------------------------------------------

-put it in the pantry with your cupcakes

The next job interview I had was one I was only moderately psyched about and it was the first time I employed the "no, I'm interviewing you" strategy. It went swimmingly and I got offered the job on the spot. I've used that strategy every single time since with almost exclusively good results. I also require that I meet with several other employees, ones I pick, and interview other employees, too, to see what they think of the job. I had one potential employer turn me down on that front and I walked.
    that would be great to have that option, my job and experience are so unique/limited that there is only one company in my state, and only a few in the world that would actually want to hire me. Maybe I am overestimating the number that would want to hire me, lol

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
    that would be great to have that option, my job and experience are so unique/limited that there is only one company in my state, and only a few in the world that would actually want to hire me. Maybe I am overestimating the number that would want to hire me, lol
    I think you're likely underselling yourself as well as the skillset you've developed over, what, 30 years in your industry? My wife thinks like you do and while it's true that opportunities are limited in her exact field, she has an insane amount of experience, training, and knowledge that will likely translate to any number of other jobs and job fields.

I'm subscribed here...
    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

I think you're likely underselling yourself as well as the skillset you've developed over, what, 30 years in your industry? My wife thinks like you do and while it's true that opportunities are limited in her exact field, she has an insane amount of experience, training, and knowledge that will likely translate to any number of other jobs and job fields.
    thanks, I agree, I could certainly go out and sell myself. I could go get a job with another company. I don't doubt that. for better or worse I have a lot of incentive to stay with the company I am employed by for pension considerations. very fortunate to have a pension at this point

Maybe in a couple years when I am considering retirement I'll test the waters and see what kind of job I could get. Would actually be fun to interview for a job if you didn't care if you got it. I take that back, my interview today wasn't very fun

Employers aren't doing you a favor. This is an exchange of labor for compensation. Look out for yourself, because sure as shit that's exactly what they're doing.
    Completely agree. Keep your CV/resume sharp and frequently updated, keep improving your skills, and always be flexible for new/better opportunities.

Got a little too carried away at the end there.
    I'm shocked. Shocked, I tell you.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

I've had a very similar experience. The last couple times I looked for jobs (granted this was 15-20 years ago), I already had a solid job and I was just looking for something better and I treated as me interviewing them. It worked very well. I didn't try the idea of picking employees to interview. That's an interesting tactic.

This overall concept is especially true in the current market though. Employers are desperate for good employees right now and the market is pretty barren. It's an employee market and you should get everything you are looking for as a candidate. High standards.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post

This overall concept is especially true in the current market though. Employers are desperate for good employees right now and the market is pretty barren. It's an employee market and you should get everything you are looking for as a candidate. High standards.
    The best thing about those shitty places posting messages on their doors about how their workers are lazy and would rather sit at home all day is it makes it very clear what kind of establishment to avoid for the rest of all time.

Journeyman