Election 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
    This is probably clear from any of my posts, but I’m not a political scientist. I haven’t studied voter migration, but isn’t it true that many younger voters start out as idealists and therefore identify as liberal, but as they age they become more prone to vote pocketbook issues and tend to become more conservative?
    Generally, yes (although I dont think the shift starts in their early 30's).

However, another strong indicator of the far left mindset of millenial voters is the fact that they are made up of far more independents than party-affiliated voters. This says to me that young voters are increasingly skeptical of the Democratic party as well, and are currently "lesser of two evils" voters. Dems need to cater to this vote bloc in a more substantial way. Like putting up a Medicare for all candidate, of which public polling now shows 70% support nationwide, including 52% of Republicans. That's how you win. Fight for issues the public supports. Period.

Thanks to revo for providing data to back up my points. 67-32 is huge.
    Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

This is probably clear from any of my posts, but I’m not a political scientist. I haven’t studied voter migration, but isn’t it true that many younger voters start out as idealists and therefore identify as liberal, but as they age they become more prone to vote pocketbook issues and tend to become more conservative?
      The saying I always heard is in your early 20 you vote what your family has been. Then when you are young with a family you vote Republican to keep taxes low then when you get in late 50 to 60 you vote Democratic to keep Social security and Medicare.

Comment

Originally posted by hacko View Post
        The saying I always heard is in your early 20 you vote what your family has been. Then when you are young with a family you vote Republican to keep taxes low then when you get in late 50 to 60 you vote Democratic to keep Social security and Medicare.
        I don’t know about the last part. Seems to me, by and large, seniors are much more likely to vote GOP and just simply more likely to vote.
        I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
          I doubt they can win the White House in 2020 unless a recession is in progress. Trump has been too good with the economy.
          After the lunacy of the last two years, I stand by my comment. If the Dems can't win in 2020...they should disband. They've been given more ammo than anybody ever.

Comment

Originally posted by fuhrdog View Post
            After the lunacy of the last two years, I stand by my comment. If the Dems can't win in 2020...they should disband. They've been given more ammo than anybody ever.
            +1.

No more losers!
            Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
              +1.

No more losers!
              That might look good on a red baseball cap! It made me laugh because it sounds so Trumpian.
              I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

I'm not sure if that's true or not (I started out Republican but grew much more socially liberal). But if it is, that's going to be a problem in the Trump era.

The "tax cut" didn't help out the typical GOPer -- in fact, GOP candidates rarely even mentioned it on the campaign trail. The deficit? What's a deficit? The party that was once the pillar of fiscal responsibility tossed that out the window like drunken sailors. Now you have many prominent Republicans mentioning cuts to Social Security & Medicare. In addition to white female voters, the GOP also hemorrhaged suburban voters, including many that leaned Trump in 2016. Dems took control of some suburban districts that no one ever thought could turn.

The reality is that many "conservative" Republicans are only fiscally conservative and are becoming more socially liberal, so the vicious attacks by our beloved president on women, minorities, LGBTQs, and immigrants makes them squirm. The "Never Trumpers" are becoming more "Never Trump" than ever before.

We know Dumb Donald is not going to change, so I'm not sure how the GOP can recover these demographics in '20. It's all up to the Dems now -- run a quality candidate and end this nightmare.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                  I'm not sure if that's true or not (I started out Republican but grew much more socially liberal). But if it is, that's going to be a problem in the Trump era.

The "tax cut" didn't help out the typical GOPer -- in fact, GOP candidates rarely even mentioned it on the campaign trail. The deficit? What's a deficit? The party that was once the pillar of fiscal responsibility tossed that out the window like drunken sailors. Now you have many prominent Republicans mentioning cuts to Social Security & Medicare. In addition to white female voters, the GOP also hemorrhaged suburban voters, including many that leaned Trump in 2016.

The reality is that many "conservative" Republicans are only fiscally conservative and are becoming more socially liberal, so the vicious attacks by our beloved president on women, minorities, LGBTQs, and immigrants makes them squirm. The "Never Trumpers" are becoming more "Never Trump" than ever before.

We know Dumb Donald is not going to change, so I'm not sure how the GOP can recover in '20.
                  That’s me that you describe in the bolder paragraph. Donald deciding, or more likely being forced, not to run somehow would be the savior of many disenfranchised never trumpers.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

That might look good on a red baseball cap! It made me laugh because it sounds so Trumpian.
                    I have no clue why you keep saying I sound like Trump. It's a pretty insulting comment.

I think I'm dishing some pretty knowledgable points here.

Comment

I have no clue why you keep saying I sound like Trump. It's a pretty insulting comment.

Lighten up, Frances. It wasn’t an attack. It was something that in my head sounded like something Trump would say. That’s all. I don’t think I have accused you of sounding like Trump. You write much better than he does.

Edited to add: but writing better than trump is a low bar. My five year old grandson probably writes better and he can’t write! But he did figure out his moms phone password so he did write jenberisj (jibberish) in a tweeter post! So many he only writes as well as trump.
                      Last edited by Bernie Brewer; 11-23-2018, 10:58 AM.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

Now that you mention it, you do express yourself like Trump. Bigly.

Of course, Patrick Mahomes II sounds like Kermit the Frog. Just sayin'.

J
                        Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

The reality is that many "conservative" Republicans are only fiscally conservative and are becoming more socially liberal, so the vicious attacks by our beloved president on women, minorities, LGBTQs, and immigrants makes them squirm.
                          It is also why the "Deplorables" quote from HRC worked against her. It is possible to be fiscally conservative and socially liberal - and try to find a balance between the two. Many of those "Depolorables" were offended by being mischaracterized in a way that cost HRC more votes than we can likely ever actually calculate.
                          It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
                          Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
                            It is also why the "Deplorables" quote from HRC worked against her. It is possible to be fiscally conservative and socially liberal - and try to find a balance between the two. Many of those "Depolorables" were offended by being mischaracterized in a way that cost HRC more votes than we can likely ever actually calculate.
                            More than anything else, that quote proved HRC was an elitist, as is the old guard of the Democratic party. Fortunately, the new blood is more tolerant.

J
                            Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                              More than anything else, that quote proved HRC was an elitist, as is the old guard of the Democratic party. Fortunately, the new blood is more tolerant.

J
                              Saying Democrats are “elitist” is just more gaslighting by the Republicans, so it goes without saying that you’ve bought into it. It’s beyond silly. The GOP has ALWAYS been the party of the wealthy and uber-wealthy; the conservative, upper crust whites; the tony private schools, country clubs and elite suburbs.

And if you haven’t realized, your president is a tony billionaire elitist.

Comment

Saying Democrats are “elitist” is just more gaslighting by the Republicans, so it goes without saying that you’ve bought into it. It’s beyond silly. The GOP has ALWAYS been the party of the wealthy and uber-wealthy; the conservative, upper crust whites; the tony private schools, country clubs and elite suburbs.

And if you haven’t realized, your president is a tony billionaire elitist.
                                Some of that is changing.......I believe 538 reported that the 20 wealthiest counties are represented by Democrats. Democrats also won the vote total among people making over $200k a year. Republicans won amongst those making between 50-100k (I believe that was the $ amount)

Comment

Working...
                                X