Gun violence epidemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
    I assume you are astounded by how many Constitutional law scholars across the political spectrum over the years have found the "well-regulated militia" phrase to be an extraordinarily complex issue. you must be insulted by how stupid they are, not understanding how obvious the answer is, as you do.
    Not really because I recognize my personal views are well to the left of my fellow citizens. But I appreciate the snark from such an extreme moderate as yourself.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Bit of a ground hog day, as we did have a monster of a gun rights thread. Whats new, more guns than ever, the cost to having easy widespread low cost access to guns at a rate of more than 1 gun per person, is a rate of shootings at a higher clip than, for instance, any of our ally nation friends who have enacted sensible gun control measures. I strongly dispute "Armed law abiding citizens pose no threat to law abiding citizens. "

As has been said, everyone is a perfectly pacifist angel, until a few ounces of force are applied to the trigger and then they arent. The ease of access, the ease to end someone, its not like talking about a knife. A 5 year old child can end a 20 year vet marine with a little squeeze. Florida has a stand your ground law, where in practice is basically a you get to kill a black person freebie card, the instances where someone who claimed to feel in danger and got away with a murder where they could have walked away is sickening. Or liberating, if you are sick, but again, until you squeeze the trigger, you are presumed to be a law abiding citizen.

My neighbor has on his door, "This is a castle doctrine house". He has confided in me that he is waiting to get to exercise his rights. Again, in practice this works as you get to kill the minority checking your meter and will get away with it. Literal reading of 2nd amendment is now considered complicated but at same time defenders claim this is a right that is inherently american and we are just different. Our history as frontier gun owning people means we cant compare to other nations that evolved and made common sense adjustments to how gun ownership exists in their country. We need a lot more blood before we get the needle to move as too many people are still hard headed that as all other rights, over time we evolve to more common sense and moral positions.

The Fresno solution of treating guns like cars and "requiring license, registration, liability insurance, regular safety checks" and if I may add, regular maintain/training testing, say check in once every 3 years, or you get points on your license is the common sense move I would like. I think we are about a million gun deaths away from making it happen. Or roughly 2.5 times how many americans died in ww2, so it will happen sometime in our lifetime.

Comment

I assume you are astounded by how many Constitutional law scholars across the political spectrum over the years have found the "well-regulated militia" phrase to be an extraordinarily complex issue. you must be insulted by how stupid they are, not understanding how obvious the answer is, as you do.
        As a follow-up, do you think you'd be an extreme moderate if you lived in a different country? That is, do you actually just have views that are perfectly "moderate" in the US or do you just like to see yourself as above the partisan fray?
        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
        - Terence McKenna

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
          As a follow-up, do you think you'd be an extreme moderate if you lived in a different country? That is, do you actually just have views that are perfectly "moderate" in the US or do you just like to see yourself as above the partisan fray?
          I have no idea what an "extreme moderate" is.

I am a political independent. I don't consider that being "above the partisan fray."

I just know that the cold, hard, established fact is that many issues are extremely complicated - and interpretation of many of the country's amendments are among them. having someone light a Molotov cocktail of a thread with what I suspected was a deliberately ignorant analysis of such a situation seemed worthy of being called out.

if you can't even acknowledge the fact that there is legitimate debate about the Second Amendment, then I suppose any engagement by any of us is useless. but it's 2018: the percentage of adults across the political spectrum who are unhinged is more and more north of 50 percent.
          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

I am a political independent. I don't consider that being "above the partisan fray."

I just know that the cold, hard, established fact is that many issues are extremely complicated - and interpretation of many of the country's amendments are among them. having someone light a Molotov cocktail of a thread with what I suspected was a deliberately ignorant analysis of such a situation seemed worthy of being called out.

if you can't even acknowledge the fact that there is legitimate debate about the Second Amendment, then I suppose any engagement by any of us is useless. but it's 2018: the percentage of adults across the political spectrum who are unhinged is more and more north of 50 percent.
            I've engaged in plenty of debate about the 2nd Amendment on this board so no idea how you came up with that. And I used the seemingly oxymoronic "extreme moderate" because it seems most of your comments in these threads tout your political independence. But at the same time I've rarely seen you make an argument for or against any issue. So are you actually moderate on all these issues or just unwilling to take a stand on any of them? You're a journalist by trade so I understand the hesitancy to appear partisan. Feel free to correct me if you have ever taken a strong position on an issue.
            - Terence McKenna

Comment

It’s the Skip Bayless-ing of political discourse. Hot takes for the sake of hot takes.

Comment

Originally posted by nots View Post
                It’s the Skip Bayless-ing of political discourse. Hot takes for the sake of hot takes.
                Calling our mass shooting epidemic a disease is far from a hot take.
                - Terence McKenna

Comment

Good post JJ.
                  I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

Calling our mass shooting epidemic a disease is far from a hot take.
                    Can you show me where I said that?

Comment

Can you show me where I said that?
                      You replied to his reply describing my initial post. Were you not directing the Bayless comment at me?
                      - Terence McKenna

Comment

You replied to his reply describing my initial post. Were you not directing the Bayless comment at me?
                        No, I wasn’t. I was agreeing with his post that north of 50% of adults across the political spectrum are unhinged. If you see yourself in that stat, that’s on you.

Comment

No, I wasn’t. I was agreeing with his post that north of 50% of adults across the political spectrum are unhinged. If you see yourself in that stat, that’s on you.
                          Gotcha.
                          - Terence McKenna

Comment

Originally posted by gcstomp View Post
                            Bit of a ground hog day, as we did have a monster of a gun rights thread. Whats new, more guns than ever, the cost to having easy widespread low cost access to guns at a rate of more than 1 gun per person, is a rate of shootings at a higher clip than, for instance, any of our ally nation friends who have enacted sensible gun control measures. I strongly dispute "Armed law abiding citizens pose no threat to law abiding citizens. "

As has been said, everyone is a perfectly pacifist angel, until a few ounces of force are applied to the trigger and then they arent. The ease of access, the ease to end someone, its not like talking about a knife. A 5 year old child can end a 20 year vet marine with a little squeeze. Florida has a stand your ground law, where in practice is basically a you get to kill a black person freebie card, the instances where someone who claimed to feel in danger and got away with a murder where they could have walked away is sickening. Or liberating, if you are sick, but again, until you squeeze the trigger, you are presumed to be a law abiding citizen.

My neighbor has on his door, "This is a castle doctrine house". He has confided in me that he is waiting to get to exercise his rights. Again, in practice this works as you get to kill the minority checking your meter and will get away with it. Literal reading of 2nd amendment is now considered complicated but at same time defenders claim this is a right that is inherently american and we are just different. Our history as frontier gun owning people means we cant compare to other nations that evolved and made common sense adjustments to how gun ownership exists in their country. We need a lot more blood before we get the needle to move as too many people are still hard headed that as all other rights, over time we evolve to more common sense and moral positions.

The Fresno solution of treating guns like cars and "requiring license, registration, liability insurance, regular safety checks" and if I may add, regular maintain/training testing, say check in once every 3 years, or you get points on your license is the common sense move I would like. I think we are about a million gun deaths away from making it happen. Or roughly 2.5 times how many americans died in ww2, so it will happen sometime in our lifetime.

I didn't want this to get lost in the "extreme moderate" "north of 50% unhinged" "Skip Bayless" hot takes, lol.

Comment

Can we put this thread to bed? We've done this and said just about everything that there is to say. Nobody is going to change their mind on gun ownership, the 2nd amendment, or the intelligence level of either side.
                              "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                              - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                              -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post

Can we put this thread to bed? We've done this and said just about everything that there is to say. Nobody is going to change their mind on gun ownership, the 2nd amendment, or the intelligence level of either side.
                                Sorry, but the next outbreak is imminent. I specifically said in my OP that I didn't want to rehash the 2nd Amendment argument but I mistakenly pulled the trigger by even mentioning it.
                                - Terence McKenna

Comment

Working...
                                X