No announcement yet.

Gun violence epidemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An eight year old boy just accidentally shot and killed himself with an Uzi at a gun show. He was being supervised while shooting the weapon when he lost control and shot himself in the head.
    More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
      An eight year old boy just accidentally shot and killed himself with an Uzi at a gun show. He was being supervised while shooting the weapon when he lost control and shot himself in the head.
      I had to look it up. Unless it happened again, this happened in 2008 in Massachusetts. It's still a sad and disgusting story 14 years later.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/father-chr...ry?id=12565132
      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
        I had to look it up. Unless it happened again, this happened in 2008 in Massachusetts. It's still a sad and disgusting story 14 years later.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/father-chr...ry?id=12565132
        Sorry, you're right. There was also another incident in 2014 where a 9 year old girl killed an instructor on the range with an Uzi.
        More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Tiny, personalized caskets to bury the little children who were cut to pieces by assault weapons

Comment

• Shooting on hospital campus leaves four dead. We need to arm our doctors and nurses, clearly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
              Shooting on hospital campus leaves four dead. We need to arm our doctors and nurses, clearly.
              In this one, a man was displeased with the results of his back surgery and had ongoing complaints of pain. So he popped on over to the gun shop and legally purchased an AR-15 (what else?), came back to the hospital that same day and killed his surgeon and three others.

Republicans will surely now call for "hardening" hospitals. Seems like they'll need to add supermarkets, movie theaters, music festivals, and churches to the list of places that need metal detectors, armed guards, and armed employees. The kid getting your popcorn should have a handgun just in case another Aurora massacre happens. Oh, wait. Also in the NY subway. And car shows.

There have been 118 school shootings in the US just since 2018. There have been 213 mass shootings just this year (info is about two weeks old, so I'm sure it's many more by now).

Comment

• The right wing common retort that "killers will try to accomplish their goals regardless of whether they have a gun or not" is stupid. To wit, the Las Vegas mass murderer unloaded over 1,000 rounds. He killed 60 people. He shot 411 people (!!!). Over 800 people were injured. Obviously he could not have unleashed that kind of carnage with a knife or a baseball bat or a hammer.

Comment

• It is real obvious that this country values the over 400 million fire arms in this country a lot more than the roughly 50k people a year killed by them, including the children we continue to let get gunned down. Roughly 80% of all homicides and over half of all suicides are committed with fire arms. The states with the highest fire arm death rates also have more guns and more lax gun laws--Alaska, New Mexico, Arkansas, South Carolina, Tennessee and Montana. The states with the lowest fire arm deaths rates have stricter laws on the books--like Massachusetts, New York, and New Jersey.

It isn't rocket science. Laws do work. Saying criminals don't follow laws is a straw man, as laws clearly do have an impact. Everyone against stricter gun laws is arguing for more gun deaths a year. They should just own it--admit having access to high capacity weapons of war are more important to them then human lives, including little children. I'd love to hear an honest argument for why weapons of war in the hands of citizens is a "right" that trumps the right to a child to live and grow up. Stop with the BS that people will go on mass punching sprees killing dozens of random, innocent victims with their martial arts moves. It is totally absurd that we pretend there are any valid arguments for the continued fetishizing of fire arms in this country.

Comment

• There are over eight billion rounds of ammo sold in this country each year. Enough to put a bullet in every man, woman, and child in the world. What a country. It isn't enough that our military spending and size not only tops the world, it tops the next eight countries right behind us combined, we also have about half of the world's civilian owned fire arms, despite making up only about 5% of the world population. And some see those numbers as a point of pride rather than the sickness is clearly is.

Comment

• The Tulsa shooting was less than 2 miles from my home. I have never liked guns (full disclosure) but it is WAY fucking past time to do some common sense gun control.
                      “There’s no normal life, Wyatt, it’s just life. Get on with it.” – Doc Holliday

"It doesn't matter what you think" - The Rock

"I borked the entry." - Some dude on the Internet

Have I told you about otters being the only marine animal that can lift rocks?

Comment

• Here's an excellent and informative article written by a former police officer on why the AR-15 and other assault weapons should be banned:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/05/opini...one/index.html

The bullet that comes out of the barrel of an AR-15 style semi-automatic rifle can easily penetrate the target – the intruder or whatever person you are using deadly force to defend yourself or others from.

But it also will go through the wall behind that person, and potentially through that room and into the next wall. That power and accuracy are useful for military purposes, which is obviously what they were designed for. But it’s far more power than should ever be in the hands of the average civilian.

The bullet fired by the AR-15 is capable of defeating the average police officer’s body armor, like a knife slicing through butter. SWAT teams and some of the more specialized units typically are equipped with level IV Kevlar or steel-plated armor, which would stop maybe two or three direct hits, but eventually body armor breaks down after being hit with multiple rounds.

A person wielding an AR-15 has a range beyond 300 yards. For an officer armed with a 9 mm pistol, hitting a target beyond 50 yards is going to be difficult, even for the most accomplished marksman. A bullet fired by an AR-15 travels at three times the velocity as one fired by a 9 mm handgun. And magazines that can feed dozens of rounds into the weapon in the space of minutes clearly were meant for use only on the battlefield.
                        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
                          Here's an excellent and informative article written by a former police officer on why the AR-15 and other assault weapons should be banned:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/05/opini...one/index.html
                          I didn't love that article. At least the way I took it, his logic for additional gun control was the police should never be outgunned by anyone. It was about the safety of police, not the safety of the general public. That was the same logic that was used for putting all sorts of surplus military gear in the hands of police and for fomenting the police-vs-civilians mindset in police training, which have had toxic consequences for policing.
                          "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Since Republicans are cool with 18-year old handling deadly weapons, why don't we lower the drinking age to 18 also?

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                              Since Republicans are cool with 18-year old handling deadly weapons, why don't we lower the drinking age to 18 also?
                              It is hard to justify restricting gun sales to 18 year olds when we ship them off to kill and die in the military. Of course, I'm fine with raising the enlistment age to 21 too. I suspect they would lose a lot of enlistees if they did that, though.

ETA: To be clear, I am for any and all gun reform at this point, but I think there are bigger fish to fry in terms of access and the type of military-grade hardware that is sold in this country. I think a strong case can be made the people that the sort of weapons used in mass shootings, like the AR-15, have no place in civilian hands, whether those hands belong to an 18 year old or an 88 year old.

Four out of five mass shootings have been committed with legally purchased fire arms. Would laws restricting types of assault weapons and ammo stop them all? Of course not. Would it make it harder for at least some of these POS to get their hands on military grade weapons to inflict maximum damage on as many innocents as possible--without a doubt.
                              Last edited by Sour Masher; 06-06-2022, 06:54 PM.

Comment

• I have heard of "pray the gay away" but this is the first I've heard of "pray the mass shootings away: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...mage=AAYeTe1|2

Republican Rep. Louie Gohmert, of Texas, suggested Wednesday that if government officials prayed more, mass shootings across the country could cease to exist.

"Look, maybe if we heard more prayers from leaders of this country instead of taking God's name in vain, we wouldn't have the mass killings like we didn't have before prayer was eliminated from schools," he told the House.

Comment

Working...
                                X