Extreme climate events

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extreme climate events

Worst fire in California's history happening right now. Three of the worst have happened in the last six years.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Originally posted by DMT View Post
    Worst fire in California's history happening right now. Three of the worst have happened in the last six years.
    I was going to start a thread about climate change devastation, but my take is a bit more apocalyptic in tone.

I believe humanity is fucked. If you look at carbon in the atmosphere, and our desperate attempts to curb warming below 2.0 degrees, we are well on our way to exploding past that level, which has been deemed catastrophic for the future of mankind... BUT, even if we manage to convert all of our human activities to non-polluting and renewable sources... we're going to immediately feel the effects of the dissipation of fractal radiation(?) (I cant remember the proper scientific terms, but basically all the crap in our current environment suppresses 1.0 degree of heat as it is, and we're currently at 1.1 degree warming, so technically we are already over the 2.0 disaster threshold even if we stopped all emissions tomorrow, with no scientific solutions in sight)...

Anyway, a large degree of my hostility to right wingers is their intention to ignore scientific warnings about climate change. The ignorance and idiocy of this, in an era that I personally feel is humanity's dying days, is something I find particularly repugnant. Hence my sometimes over the top tone. I feel humans are incapable of envisioning the full effects of climate change, so we just keep going on about our business. Humans are lemmings, walking in a line off a cliff.

But I'm just a loony lefty stoner ripping bongs in my housecoat and eating cookies. What do I know?
    Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Oh I'm also of the opinion that humanity is fucked.
      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
      - Terence McKenna

Comment

Chomsky refers to the Republican party as the most dangerous organization in the history of the world solely for their climate change denialism.
        - Terence McKenna

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
          Chomsky refers to the Republican party as the most dangerous organization in the history of the world solely for their climate change denialism.
          Given how much power the US has, and how much we pollute, I don't think that statement is as hyperbolic as I'm sure many would argue it is.

The long term impact on billions of lives of our decisions now are incalculable. If we are still around in 1000 years, I'm sure our descendants will judge us most harshly for our short-sightedness and selfishness on this issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
            Given how much power the US has, and how much we pollute, I don't think that statement is as hyperbolic as I'm sure many would argue it is.

The long term impact on billions of lives of our decisions now are incalculable. If we are still around in 1000 years, I'm sure our descendants will judge us most harshly for our short-sightedness and selfishness on this issue.
            Fixed.
            - Terence McKenna

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
              I was going to start a thread about climate change devastation, but my take is a bit more apocalyptic in tone.

I believe humanity is fucked.
              I think that goes too far, given how successful people have proven at being at surviving. We can adapt to the new world we are creating. I can't say the same for many of the other animals and plants. We are already in the middle of a great extinction event, and we are making it far, far worse. Shit will get bad over the next few hundred years. Lots of people will be displaced. Millions will die. Famines, floods, vast deserts where there were once lush forests. It will get bad, but I don't think it will kill us off. Life will continue. Not just us. Life is resilient. But it won't be like it is now.

Comment

a technological civilization has to eventually learn how to better control or manage it's own planet's weather. and in order to do that, you have to fuck up first.

like what Nietzsche said. you only learn how to build a house right after your already finished.
                Last edited by ; 11-10-2018, 03:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nullnor View Post
                  a technological civilization has to eventually learn how to better control or manage it's own planet's weather. and in order to do that, you have to fuck up first.

like what Nietzsche said. you only learn how to build a house right after your already finished.
                  Good quote, Nullnor. I do hope we don't fuck up the house we got so bad we aren't given a shot to rebuild.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                    Good quote, Nullnor. I do hope we don't fuck up the house we got so bad we aren't given a shot to rebuild.
                    This is the problem with humans. We aren't a proactive, forward-thinking species. We're reactionary. We will only react when it's too late, and as I say, I believe it's already too late. So apparently, we will react much too late. There's no silver bullet. Pretty sure we are fucked, and due to our collective human response to climate change, we probably deserve the annihilation we've set in place.

I'm glad this board is optimistic though. Captain Beefheart summed it up well in his song "Smithsonian Institute Blues". He always was forward thinking.

"Come on down t' the big dig
                    Come on down t' the big dig
                    Come on t' the big dig
                    Singin' the Smithsonian Institute blues
                    The way it's goin' La Brea tar pits
                    I know you just can't lose
                    The new dinosaur is walkin' in the old one's shoes
                    Come on down t' the big dig
                    Can't get around the big dig
                    This may be premature but if I'm wrong
                    You can just say it's the first time I was happy t' be confused
                    Alll you new dinosaurs
                    Now it's up t' you t' choose
                    It sure looks funny for a new dinosaur
                    T' be in an old dinosaur's shoes
                    Dina Shore's shoes
                    Dinosaur shoes
                    C'mon down to the big dig
                    You can't get around the big dig
                    C'mon to the big dig
                    Ya can't get around the big dig
                    "
                    Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Even the Union of Concerned Scientists recognizes the risk of carbon emissions plateuing if nuclear power is shuttered and not replaced:

Activist group finally recognizes that it can't achieve its energy and climate goals without nuclear power.

About 15 years after I was advocating for a nuclear power Marshall plan on RJ, but better late than never.
                      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

I cant remember it ever being this cold in mid November. We are having mid January weather right now.
                        "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
                          I cant remember it ever being this cold in mid November. We are having mid January weather right now.
                          Is this an extreme event or are you claiming this is evidence against global warming?
                          - Terence McKenna

Comment

up here it's cold but not unseasonably so for mid-Nov.
                            It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
                              Here too.

Comment

Working...
                              X