Abortion Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DMT View Post
    Agreed, and the most obvious first step would be to eliminate funding for abstinence-only sex education, which has shown repeatedly to be totally ineffective.
    I would include abstinence in the education as it is a 100% way to avoid pregnancy. That said - I agree - strictly abstinence based is short sighted and is based on some idea that pre-marital sex just doesnt occur. This is a topic where young adults need to be provided with as much information as possible in order to make decisions keeping them from getting into the position of have to make a decision about abortion.
    It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
    Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

I do understand. The problem is that most anti-abortion folks don't.
      Both sides are equally obtuse as the other on this one....... Its frustrating to watch the discourse about this topic sometimes, because both sides are still trying to win something that has already been determined.

It has been decided - move on!
      It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
        Both sides are equally obtuse as the other on this one....... Its frustrating to watch the discourse about this topic sometimes, because both sides are still trying to win something that has already been determined.

Until it isn't, and the GOP is actively trying to "undecide it". 5 people on the Supreme Court can do a lot to remove this right
        "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Once again, you blame both sides when one side has been actively eroding abortion rights since 1973.

I mean, honestly, how you can state "it's been decided move on", yet pin this on both sides is beyond me.
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

While I agree that there are many on the Right that want to see it overturned - Both sides dont listen to each other when the conversation happens.

Its a baby........
            Its a fetus......
            Its alive......
            Its not self sufficient..........

How about we stop trying to "make points" realize that we have decided this at the highest court in our land - and figure out how we can best work together to keep people from being in the quandry of making a decision about abortion.

Comment

Once again, you blame both sides when one side has been actively eroding abortion rights since 1973.

I mean, honestly, how you can state "it's been decided move on", yet pin this on both sides is beyond me.
              Wait... are you expecting that if one political party loses they move on? That is not how it works. Both parties will continue to whine, debate, and push towards their agenda no matter the outcome. That is how it works.

Comment

While I agree that there are many on the Right that want to see it overturned - Both sides dont listen to each other when the conversation happens.

Its a baby........
                Its a fetus......
                Its alive......
                Its not self sufficient..........

How about we stop trying to "make points" realize that we have decided this at the highest court in our land - and figure out how we can best work together to keep people from being in the quandry of making a decision about abortion.
                The fight to erode or overturn abortion rights is being brought from one side. Your wish will never happen until that side accepts it. But keep on blaming both sides.
                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                - Terence McKenna

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                  Wait... are you expecting that if one political party loses they move on? That is not how it works. Both parties will continue to whine, debate, and push towards their agenda no matter the outcome. That is how it works.
                  Of course, but BG is acknowledging the fight should be over while blaming both sides that it's not. It would be over if the anti-abortion folks could accept they lost, but they never will, because they will never concede that not everyone believes abortion equals murder.
                  - Terence McKenna

Comment

The fight to erode or overturn abortion rights is being brought from one side. Your wish will never happen until that side accepts it. But keep on blaming both sides.
                    I agree that one side is still challenging the legitimacy of the decision.

I think that the discussion from the other side should be - "hey, I get where you are coming from" - I dont agree - lets see if we can figure out how to make sure our kids dont have to worry about deciding about abortions.

Unfortunately - that is not the way the conversation goes. One side says its murder - the other says its not murder......

My point is that the pro-abortion side should just be stating that the conversation has been legally decided - lets move on and work together so our kids dont have to worry about this. Instead, they are still stuck in the point of justifying the decision.

We have to move past the decision and work together.......

Comment

Of course, but BG is acknowledging the fight should be over while blaming both sides that it's not. It would be over if the anti-abortion folks could accept they lost, but they never will, because they will never concede that not everyone believes abortion equals murder.
                      Seems like you aren't listening, Gregg's point was valid.

If RvW was overturned would Dems just give up?

No, neither side is going to give up, and it is naive and illogical to suggest that they will.

Comment

I do understand. The problem is that most anti-abortion folks don't.
                        From this statement, it is clear you do not understand. If you did, you would to them rather than treat them as a problem.

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                        Until it isn't, and the GOP is actively trying to "undecide it". 5 people on the Supreme Court can do a lot to remove this right
                        This is fair.

There is a push to differentiate late-term abortions from the others. A significant majority of Americans believe that a viable fetus constitutes sentient life. A significan minority of pro-choice are willing to make the same distinction. Not least in the considerations is that the woman has had significant time to take action and declined to so so. Rape, incest and birth defect objections are thus satisfied.

As an aside, I always found this issue a bit bizarre. Democrats are arguing for personal freedom and restricting regulation. Republicans favor increased regulation to protect the weak. That's exactly flipped from usual.

J
                        Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                          Seems like you aren't listening, Gregg's point was valid.

If RvW was overturned would Dems just give up?

No, neither side is going to give up, and it is naive and illogical to suggest that they will.
                          I was responding directly to BG's point that it's settled. So it seems you're the one not following the discussion.
                          - Terence McKenna

Comment

I was responding directly to BG's point that it's settled. So it seems you're the one not following the discussion.
                            I couldn't care less who you are replying to, I was referencing a post that was before yours. It is literally the one you referenced in the quote. Try to keep up.

Comment

I agree that one side is still challenging the legitimacy of the decision.

I think that the discussion from the other side should be - "hey, I get where you are coming from" - I dont agree - lets see if we can figure out how to make sure our kids dont have to worry about deciding about abortions.

Unfortunately - that is not the way the conversation goes. One side says its murder - the other says its not murder......

My point is that the pro-abortion side should just be stating that the conversation has been legally decided - lets move on and work together so our kids dont have to worry about this. Instead, they are still stuck in the point of justifying the decision.

We have to move past the decision and work together.......
                              I have tried to have that discussion with anti-abortion folks and it never goes anywhere.

They can't move on when they're busy fending off legal efforts to restrict access to abortion, shut down clinics, attack doctors or revoke their licenses, etc.
                              - Terence McKenna

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                                I couldn't care less who you are replying to, I was referencing a post that was before yours. Try to keep up.
                                So you're quoting me but ignoring the context of the quote. Got it. Ken, not sure why you've got a big up your ass, but it's getting old quick.
                                - Terence McKenna

Comment

Working...
                                X