Jimmy Butler likely to be moved before the start of the season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TS Garp View Post
    If that's true, the TWolves should be all over this offer. As talented as Butler is and as much as he'd help the Rockets, he's played less than 70 games in 5 of his 7 seasons (heading into this year) and will be 30 next year. Not to mention the fact that he's very likely a rental and seems to be a malcontent. 4 first-rounders is a huge amount to give up -- that trade could cripple the Rockets for years. Imagine if Butler leaves and the team declines as Paul and Harden age. A trade like that could have an impact not unlike the infamous Herschel Walker deal back in the day.
    Or the horrible mortgaging of the future trade that the Nets made with the Celtics for Pierce and Garnett.

Comment

Although from the Rockets' perspective, I get it a bit more. Paul presumably will be declining soon, to the extent he hasn't already, and Harden is at peak. Capela is presumably still rising, but the loss of Ariza and his veteran 3-and-D contributions is clearly hurting them. They're currently not as good as the team that took the Warriors to 7 games. Durant, Curry and Klay are at peak. Green may be in slight decline. But if Cousins plays, forget about the Rockets taking them out as constituted. Butler gives them a real puncher's chance. They probably can't afford to wait for a Warriors decline, because they're likely to decline as fast or faster. If they want a ring, they probably need a two-way difference maker like Butler.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
        Although from the Rockets' perspective, I get it a bit more. Paul presumably will be declining soon, to the extent he hasn't already, and Harden is at peak. Capela is presumably still rising, but the loss of Ariza and his veteran 3-and-D contributions is clearly hurting them. They're currently not as good as the team that took the Warriors to 7 games. Durant, Curry and Klay are at peak. Green may be in slight decline. But if Cousins plays, forget about the Rockets taking them out as constituted. Butler gives them a real puncher's chance. They probably can't afford to wait for a Warriors decline, because they're likely to decline as fast or faster. If they want a ring, they probably need a two-way difference maker like Butler.
        I definitely understand why they're interested. They were really unwise to get rid of both Arizona and Mbah a Moute and it's a glaring weakness that will get even more exposed in the playoffs. But 4 first rounders when the deal wouldn't even make you a favorite? Why not try to acquire a much less expensive option like Reggie Bullock? He's certainly not Butler or even a poor man's Butler, but he's a very solid 3 & D player who would definitely help.

Comment

"The Rockets are reportedly offering Chriss, Knight and four future first-round picks in a package for Jimmy Butler, but Minnesota management doesn't appear to be all that interested in such a deal. The Wolves would like to remain competitive after trading Butler, and they're also reluctant to trade him to a Westcoast rival, so it'll be tough for Houston to pull this off. Right now, Miami seems like a frontrunner, but Philadelphia could also put together an intriguing package should they jump into the race."

Find all the latest Rotoworld fantasy sports news, live coverage, videos, highlights, stats, predictions, and results right here on NBC Sports.

Still don't get why the Wolves haven't pulled the trigger.

Comment

And it looks like Butler's going to force the issue:

"Jimmy Butler is refusing to take the court for Wednesday's game against the Jazz and could be looking at an extended absence from the Timberwolves.

The Wolves have deemed Butler's absence from Wednesday's game as "general soreness," but he's reportedly actively made the decision to not play in an attempt to force his way out of Minnesota. It seems he may have already played his last game donning a Timberwolves jersey, so now it's just a matter of where he winds up. Plenty of teams have expressed interest, but Miami and Houston have had the most substantial talks thus far. Josh Okogie is worth grabbing in most leagues while this circus plays out."

Find all the latest Rotoworld fantasy sports news, live coverage, videos, highlights, stats, predictions, and results right here on NBC Sports.

This, of course, is why I was able to get him for a steep discount at my auction. I just have to hope that he gets traded quickly - ideally to Miami where his stats would likely be maximized.

Comment

This guy has turned out to be one of the worst pricks to pass through Minnesota sports, just a total embarrassment. Thibs seems to be content to allow him to pick and choose the games that he plays (he's taking care of himself so he doesn't get injured), which is on Thibs, who also needs to go.

Last night he pulled an all time asshole move, he was on the bench, waving a towel with the Warrior fans.I can't wait for this prick to leave...

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
              - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
              -Warren Ellis

Comment

Can’t blame you at all. That’s a loser move.
                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Working...
                X