Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Best (current) Comedians

Quote Originally Posted by Teenwolf View Post
    Pretty good new special out, free on YouTube from Stavros Halkias. He's new to me. It's getting a lot of traction, with 1.5 million views in 9 days.

He's really quick, and good with crowd work. Nothing earth-shattering, but a fun watch.
    Good, solid, lean set. He has clearly honed his craft. I am surprised I did not know of him, as he clearly has a huge following to amass those numbers so quickly.

ETA: I really liked his material, his comfort with crowd work, and his delivery overall, but by the end, I did find his laugh after every punchline began to annoy my a bit. But still well worth the watch, overall.
    Last edited by Sour Masher; 06-18-2022 at 04:56 PM.

I finally got around to watching this and absolutely loved it. Very dark and nihilistic at times, but I found his deconstruction elements took the edge off, so you know it's not exactly him talking, but an exaggerated character he's playing. I wonder if he's got other specials worth digging for.
    He has one on Amazon from 2014. It isn't quite as good imo, but still very funny and thought-provoking. It is in the same style, and it also gets very dark and nihilistic--more so, in fact. It is very similar in terms of structure and content and even set ups, though obviously the specifics of the bits are different. I think you would like it.
    Last edited by Sour Masher; 06-17-2022 at 01:56 PM.

I've gotta share my current #1 favorite comic, Andy Kindler.

He's 65, and his style is endlessly amusing to me. It's deconstruction, where he tells a joke and then comments on the joke itself, the response, etc. I've listened to about 500 hours of his podcast now (Thought Spiral), and his shtick never gets old to me.

His background, he was on Everybody Loves Raymond for 30 episodes, which I never watched. His biggest highlights are the annual "State of the Industry" speech at the Just For Laughs festival, where he attacks various comics and celebs (traditional targets: Jay Leno, Ricky Gervais, Jeff Dunham, Adam Sandler, Larry the Cable Guy, etc) and making 50 appearances on Letterman, mostly as a replacement for Dave when he was no longer able to do man-on-the-street segments without being mobbed.

Here's a good quick set.

Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

I watched Sheng Wang's new Netflix special, Sweet and Juicy, last night. Really top notch stuff. He voice and delivery sound like a cross between Mitch Hedberg and Anthony Jeselnick, but his material is totally unique. Just great stuff from start to finish. I highly recommend it.

Hall of Famer
    I've gotta share my current #1 favorite comic, Andy Kindler.

He's 65, and his style is endlessly amusing to me. It's deconstruction, where he tells a joke and then comments on the joke itself, the response, etc. I've listened to about 500 hours of his podcast now (Thought Spiral), and his shtick never gets old to me.

His background, he was on Everybody Loves Raymond for 30 episodes, which I never watched. His biggest highlights are the annual "State of the Industry" speech at the Just For Laughs festival, where he attacks various comics and celebs (traditional targets: Jay Leno, Ricky Gervais, Jeff Dunham, Adam Sandler, Larry the Cable Guy, etc) and making 50 appearances on Letterman, mostly as a replacement for Dave when he was no longer able to do man-on-the-street segments without being mobbed.

Here's a good quick set.

I am glad you found humor in this.

I liked him on Raymond. I was hoping to like his standup. I did not.

I appreciate that he works clean, but I did not crack a smile.