Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Warriors sign Cousins. Best starting five ever on paper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warriors sign Cousins. Best starting five ever on paper?

Steph Curry, Klay Thompson, Kevin Durant, Draymond Green and DeMarcus Cousins, all presumably in their prime (assuming Cousins gets healthy), is a Dream Team, not an NBA starting five.

The best starting fives I remember are Magic-Cooper-Worthy-Green-Kareem or Ainge-Johnson-Bird-McHale-Parish. I guess if you count guys jumping on past their prime, you've got Gary Payton-Kobe Bryant-Rick Fox-Karl Malone-Shaq, but I don't really count that because Payton and Malone weren't remotely in their primes. Before my time you've got Bob Cousy-Sam Jones-John Havlicek-Tommy Heinsohn-Bill Russell.

But damn, if you told me I could take my starting five from any Eastern Conference team to put up against the Warriors, I'd still probably be at a disadvantage.

Wall-DeRozan-Antetokounmpo-Porzingis-Embiid (or swap one out for Irving, Oladipo, Simmons, Griffin, Horford). Wouldn't you still have to take the Warriors starting five (assuming a healthy Cousins)?

Probably. I get the move - I mean, he's yuuugely talented - but I really wonder if he'll have a corrosive effect on a team that appeared to already lose some of its unity and focus this year.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

as I've said before, the suckers will still buy tickets all over the league, so good for the NBA.

I mostly skipped the playoffs and was a better man for it. if I wanted suspense, I'd watch WWE
      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
        Probably. I get the move - I mean, he's yuuugely talented - but I really wonder if he'll have a corrosive effect on a team that appeared to already lose some of its unity and focus this year.
        They're pretty good at keeping any clubhouse distress quiet. We all wondered whether Nick Young would have a corrosive effect when they signed him last year, and then we never heard anything, but we don't know what we don't know. I think if they start all five and maybe finish with all five but otherwise just have three of them on the court at a time from the 5 minute mark until the 43 minute mark, while still using quite a bit of Livingston, Iguodala, Bell and Cook to keep the starters fresh, it could work beautifully. Presumably there's little chance Cousins stays beyond this year, though. If he's even close to 100%, he'll be looking for a bigger payday - perhaps on the Lakers.

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
          as I've said before, the suckers will still buy tickets all over the league, so good for the NBA.

I mostly skipped the playoffs and was a better man for it. if I wanted suspense, I'd watch WWE
          It's worth noting that the Warriors were actually down 3-2 to the Rockets before the Paul injury, and of course the Cavs were extended to 7 games by both the Pacers and Celtics, and the Celitcs-76ers series was pretty great, also.

Comment

Seems like a lot of mouths to feed on that team. One thing about Cousins which I have noticed since he was a rookie: Dude pretty much never hustles. Walks from foul line to foul line. Not sure how that flies in GS.

But I wholeheartedly agree that you may as well fast forward to the Western Conf finals because the rest of the NBA season will have next to no meaning.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
              It's worth noting that the Warriors were actually down 3-2 to the Rockets before the Paul injury, and of course the Cavs were extended to 7 games by both the Pacers and Celtics, and the Celitcs-76ers series was pretty great, also.
              that's not pushing back too well on the WWE comparison
              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Working...
              X