2K24: San Francisco Giants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
    Some say Flores is still standing at the plate waiting for the next Scherzer pitch to this day….
    Maybe someone will write a poem about him
    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Buster Posey calling it a career

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
        Buster Posey calling it a career
        Nice career... still, he was no Jamie Quirk.
        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
          Buster Posey calling it a career
          Seeing many stories about his next stop is the HOF. Whaaaa? Posey had a nice career, but he is not even close to getting into there. Only way for him is to buy a ticket like the rest of us.

Comment

• Originally posted by cleo View Post
            Seeing many stories about his next stop is the HOF. Whaaaa? Posey had a nice career, but he is not even close to getting into there. Only way for him is to buy a ticket like the rest of us.
            There are worse catchers in the HOF, like the infamously slow Ernie Lombardi, but that doesn't mean a past wrong should make Posey a HOFer. I think he is just outside, but I think he gets some votes. I don't think he had a better career than Joe Mauer, and I wouldn't put Mauer in the HOF either. But both were top catchers in the league for a good stretch. Both are worthy of close scrutiny and consideration. A lot of small hall folks (I'm smaller hall myself) seem to think standards have gone down, but there have always been head scratcher cases throughout the history of inductions. Posey is not a HOFer to me, but he would not be the most egregious entry by a long shot.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
              There are worse catchers in the HOF, like the infamously slow Ernie Lombardi, but that doesn't mean a past wrong should make Posey a HOFer. I think he is just outside, but I think he gets some votes. I don't think he had a better career than Joe Mauer, and I wouldn't put Mauer in the HOF either. But both were top catchers in the league for a good stretch. Both are worthy of close scrutiny and consideration. A lot of small hall folks (I'm smaller hall myself) seem to think standards have gone down, but there have always been head scratcher cases throughout the history of inductions. Posey is not a HOFer to me, but he would not be the most egregious entry by a long shot.
              The HOF is known for overvaluing 2 things that Posey has on his resume. First, multiple WS rings. Second, they love players who play for 1 team their entire career. It makes sense, as the HOF wants players recognizable to fans of any market. Fans love lifers because they feel like they grew up together. Just my take.
              Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
                The HOF is known for overvaluing 2 things that Posey has on his resume. First, multiple WS rings. Second, they love players who play for 1 team their entire career. It makes sense, as the HOF wants players recognizable to fans of any market. Fans love lifers because they feel like they grew up together. Just my take.
                If that is the case, then how did Bernie Williams only get 3% of the vote in his second year of HOF eligibility and was dropped off the ballot?

Comment

• Originally posted by cleo View Post
                  If that is the case, then how did Bernie Williams only get 3% of the vote in his second year of HOF eligibility and was dropped off the ballot?
                  Because the HOF wasn't exactly lacking in Yankees, and Bernie was never close to the most feared bat in his own lineup. HOF wants guys who represent entire teams for a generation. They've already got Jeter, and Mo Rivera inducted. Including Bernie Williams or Posada aren't necessary because that team is already represented twice.
                  Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
                    Because the HOF wasn't exactly lacking in Yankees, and Bernie was never close to the most feared bat in his own lineup. HOF wants guys who represent entire teams for a generation. They've already got Jeter, and Mo Rivera inducted. Including Bernie Williams or Posada aren't necessary because that team is already represented twice.
                    I agree

In his best season, 1998, Bernie was 4th on the Yankees in WAR with 5.3 bWAR (not in the top 10 in the AL). In 2012, Posey's peak, he was 3rd in baseball, obviously the top player on the Giants and the top catcher in baseball.

This is an apples and oranges comparison

Comment

• I'd say he's a borderline HOFer that probably will get in. His career was not as long (12 yrs) as most other HOFers and he had a career bWAR of 44.9 (but 57.6 fWAR). Here is the career bWAR and years played for some notable HOF catchers:

Roy Campanella - 35.8 (10 yrs) (MLB stats only)
                      Gary Carter - 70.1 (19 yrs)
                      Bill Dickey - 56.5 (17 yrs)
                      Ivan Rodriguez - 71.7 (21 yrs)
                      Mike Piazza - 59.5 (16 yrs)
                      Yogi Berra - 59.6 (19 yrs)
                      Carlton Fisk - 68.4 (24 yrs)
                      Ted Simmons - 50.3 (21 yrs)
                      Gabby Hartnett - 55.9 (20 yrs)
                      Mickey Cochrane - 49.9 (13 yrs)

So what mitigates the most against Posey's qualifications for the HOF seems to be the fact that he didnt play that long. In fact, if you count Campanella's Negro Leagues tenure, he played less than anyone above. His WAR and tenure seem comparable to Cochrane's, especially if you use fWAR instead of bWAR (Cochrane's fWAR is 50.6). So, Posey is kind of borderline but arguably legitimate and I think they'll vote him in, especially since he has the MVP season, the WS rings and also a gold glove that many voters will pay attention to.

Comment

• Im not saying this necessarily makes him a HoF, but Posey was a great receiver and helped make the careers of guys like Bumgarner, Lincecum, Cain, Sanchez, Hudson, Peavy, Cueto, Samardzjia, Gausman, Webb...the list probably goes on. Dont overlook stuff like that

Comment

• He will become one of few players in MLB's divisional era to hit .300 or better in their final season. The only other players to do so are Lou Brock, Will Clark, Roberto Clemente, David Ortiz and Kirby Puckett. Not bad company to be in.

Here is a snapshot of his career achievements:
                          • NL Rookie of the Year
                          • Seven-time All-Star
                          • Three-time World Series champion
                          • Gold Glove Award winner
                          • Four-time Silver Slugger Award winner
                          • Two-time NL Comeback Player of the Year

Not saying he belongs in the Hall. But I did find the above interesting.

Comment

• There seems to be a lot more support for his HoF induction than against, which kind of surprises me.
                            More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                              There seems to be a lot more support for his HoF induction than against, which kind of surprises me.
                              After Harold Baines got in, is anyone with even a remotely good resume getting a lot of support all that surprising? There is likely to be a lot of overlap in the voting pool between Baines and when Posey goes in. Posey clearly had the better career, so I assume most or all of those voters that voted for Baines will vote for Posey, unless the negative feedback they got for voting Baines in converted them to being more small hall.

Comment

• Jay Jaffe of FG thinks Posey is a sure-fire HOFer:

Despite a strong comeback and another lucrative payday ahead, the 34-year-old superstar is retiring.

Comment

Working...
                                X