2K24: San Francisco Giants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crazier story:

The Giants have the best record in baseball and Gabe Kapler is looking like a competent manager!
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
      Crazier story:

The Giants have the best record in baseball and Gabe Kapler is looking like a competent manager!
      Meh check back with us end of May--they've been extremely lucky with their hitting/run scoring.

They also have only played 2 teams with records over .500 and are 6-6 in those games. They've made hay vs the dregs of the league.

So I wouldn't enshrine Kapler just yet.
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
        Crazy story:

In April of 2020, Drew Robinson attempted to take his own life.

The 27-year-old placed a pistol to his temple and pulled the trigger while sitting in the living room of his Las Vegas home.

On Wednesday, he made the 25-man roster of the Sacramento River Cats, the San Francisco Giants Triple-A affiliate. The accomplishment marked a remarkable milestone in Robinson's return from the depths of depression that he spoke candidly about last November with ESPN's Jeff Passan.

That Robinson survived that day at the outset of the COVID-19 pandemic is a miracle. He told Passan that he woke up 20 hours after the self-inflicted gun shot wound with a hole in his head and fear that he had lost an eyeball. He was right. The gunshot wound had ruptured his right eye.

But when he woke up, he realized that he wanted to live. He called 911.

"I need an ambulance," he said on the call, per Passan. "I tried to commit suicide last night, and I made it through. I think I detached my eye maybe. I can't open my right eye and I have a huge hole in my head and I'm in a lot of pain."

The bullet caused significant damage, but missed Robinson's brain and major arteries. Since surviving the initial trauma and medical recovery from the gunshot, Robinson has split his energy between telling his story in an effort to inspire others dealing with mental health struggles and trying to make a baseball comeback.

https://sports.yahoo.com/drew-robins...025949236.html
        WOW! Surviving a point-blank gunshot to his temple? Robinson is blessed to be alive, whether or not he ever achieves baseball success.
        2021 Auction Anatomy
        2021 Keeper Decisions
        2020 Auction Anatomy
        2020 Pre-Auction
        2015 Auction Anatomy
        2014 Auction Anatomy
        2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
        RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
          Meh check back with us end of May--they've been extremely lucky with their hitting/run scoring.

They also have only played 2 teams with records over .500 and are 6-6 in those games. They've made hay vs the dregs of the league.

So I wouldn't enshrine Kapler just yet.
          Their run differential is top five in the majors. I'm no Giants fan, but beating up on the dregs while holding your own against the good teams is the recipe for success.
          2021 Auction Anatomy
          2021 Keeper Decisions
          2020 Auction Anatomy
          2020 Pre-Auction
          2015 Auction Anatomy
          2014 Auction Anatomy
          2011 Auction Anatomy

Comment

• The Dodgers struggling early (won't say scuffling in case Lord Zola checks in) and the Padres having COVID might just open the window. Wondering what the Giants betting line is right now for the division.

Comment

• Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
              The Dodgers struggling early (won't say scuffling in case Lord Zola checks in) and the Padres having COVID might just open the window. Wondering what the Giants betting line is right now for the division.
              I hope you saved your money.
              If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
              Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by ThatRogue View Post
                Their run differential is top five in the majors. I'm no Giants fan, but beating up on the dregs while holding your own against the good teams is the recipe for success.
                If RD is the bar, the Giants are 3rd in their own division.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by ThatRogue View Post
                  GITH and I were talking this over beer. Like you, I have no skin in the game, but I just don't see the Giants starting pitching holding up over a full season. OTOH, to Kapler's credit, I think he's done more than a credible job mixing and matching a pretty uninspiring group of hitters into a decent offense.
                  I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                    GITH and I were talking this over beer. Like you, I have no skin in the game, but I just don't see the Giants starting pitching holding up over a full season. OTOH, to Kapler's credit, I think he's done more than a credible job mixing and matching a pretty uninspiring group of hitters into a decent offense.
                    The crazy thing is that Gausman, Wood and Desclafani have all shown flashes at various points in their careers. While health is a HUGE factor, no one can deny that their talent combined with their home ballpark could keep their success going well into the summer (especially if injuries keep impacting LA and SD).

I wouldn't put money on it...but I also wouldn't be surprised to see it.
                    2021 Auction Anatomy
                    2021 Keeper Decisions
                    2020 Auction Anatomy
                    2020 Pre-Auction
                    2015 Auction Anatomy
                    2014 Auction Anatomy
                    2011 Auction Anatomy

Comment

• Giants call up 37-year-old LHP Scott Kazmir from Triple-A to make the start tonight against the Dodgers.

Kazmir hasn't pitched in the majors since 2016 because of hip and arm injuries. Buckle up.
                      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• DeSco Demolition Night -- DeSclafani battered for 10 ER in 1 2/3 innings, bringing a great season back to earth in a few scant minutes.

Comment

• How real is Gausman? His owner is shopping him, and he is on a desirable contract. Because of that, his ask is as high as the ask will be for Gerrit Cole when his owner eventually sells. Is it worth it to pay up now for a bird in the hand that is also a cheap keeper, or should I save my prospects for Cole, who will probably be shopped in a month or so, but is not a keeper?

Comment

• I'm a believer in Gausman (bought by a rival for $18 in my NL-only league), so it depends on the price and league.

nobody except deGrom might finish with a 1.53 ERA, but he can give you a 3.20 - which is between that and a later Cole.
                            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Gambled the injury is not serious. Just dealt Erod, Fulmer and rising star prospect Noelvi Marte for a cheap Gausman. Really like Marte and have 5 SPs in IL, so hope Gausman is okay.

Comment

• Two thirds in and the Giants have the best record in the National League. Their recycle bin rotation has to be one of the biggest surprises in all of baseball.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                                X