Stratergizing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stratergizing

16 team, H2H with 480 players rostered, OBA, Holds.

I am in rebuild mode. Here is the starting point.

C
    1B Paul Goldschmidt
    2B Paul DeJong
    3B Matt Chapman
    SS JP Crawford
    CI Matt Olson
    MI Aledmys Diaz
    OF Christian Yelich
    OF Willie Calhoun
    OF Michael Taylor
    OF Teoscar Hernandez
    Ut

SP Michael Fulmer
    SP Jon Gray
    SP Shohei Ohtani
    SP Robby Ray
    RP
    RP
    RP
    P Chase Anderson
    P Kevin Gausman
    P

BN Ronald Acuna
    BN Victor Robles
    BN Brendan Rodgers
    BN Scott Kingery
    BN
    BN
    BN
    BN

The draft has two phases. I will get five players/pitchers one year only. Available players will be thinly scattered through the top 250. The second phase has multi year players, but the floor will be about #300.

We are now well into the second phase, around pick #350.

J
    Last edited by onejayhawk; 03-03-2018, 08:57 PM.
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

You have needs in OBA, speed and SP. With Acuna on your bench, I'd sure be inclined to take Braun if he's available. Yeah, he's probably good for only about 125 games. But he'll help in OBA and chip in 15ish SBs. Otherwise, I'd scour for very serious, high-end speed and see if any's available. What are some examples of "solid SPs" that could be around?
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

When you reach a point where relief pitchers are good options I'd look for quality starting pitching prospects that are starting in the bullpen. It seems like the Alex Reyes types would already be gone but the Stephen Gonsalves, Bryan Mitchell, Taylor Guerrieri, Jose De Leon and so forth would probably be around.

Comment

Solid means still tier 2. I look for at least one of Lester, Stroman, S Gray, McCullers to make it to me. I might get the likes of Manaea with the fifth pick. You are suggesting I position myself for lightning to strike. For example, Acuna puts in 3/4 of an MVP season and Fulmer attracts Cy Young attention. It has happened before--Jean Segura and Jose Fernandez in 2013.

For comparison, Diaz, Giles, Iglesias, W Davis. Drafting SP for trade value is an option. RP, not so much.

By the time I get to the Gonsalves, Mitchell, DeLeon we will be out of the redraft rounds.

J
        Last edited by onejayhawk; 02-10-2018, 12:33 AM.
        Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Phew, with that list of SPs, I take Braun for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
            Phew, with that list of SPs, I take Braun for sure.
            If he's there, though Didi is more likely. If you think that list is bad, the next pick will be grim. Unless lightning strikes, this team ill not contend.

What to do with the other four picks? Draft bandaids and slot fillers? Try to trade them?

J
            Last edited by onejayhawk; 02-10-2018, 08:04 PM.
            Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Traded two of the redraft picks for Robbie Ray, who will at least have an expensive option next season. I now have two picks, one in the #150-200 range and one #220-250 range. I might be able to get a decent 2B or MI with the first. What about using the second for the C slot?

My rotation will be

Robbie Ray
              Shohei Ohtani
              Michael Fulmer
              Jon Gray

In minors Brent Honeywell

In 16 team is that A,B,C,D or F?

I can get the first three and Honeywell next year. I am open to suggestions on mid to late round guys who will improve significantly in 2019.

J
              Last edited by onejayhawk; 02-17-2018, 12:57 PM.
              Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                Traded two of the redraft picks for Robbie Ray, who will at least have an expensive option next season. I now have two picks, one in the #150-200 range and one #220-250 range. I might be able to get a decent 2B or MI with the first. What about using the second for the C slot?

My rotation will be

Robbie Ray
                Shohei Ohtani
                Michael Fulmer
                Jon Gray

In minors Brent Honeywell

In 16 team is that A,B,C,D or F?

I can get the first three and Honeywell next year. I am open to suggestions on mid to late round guys who will improve significantly in 2019.

J
                I like your plan, and love the redraft deal for Ray. In 16-team, that start for a pitching staff is at least a C+, and I'd not argue a B.

Comment

You'll love this one. I traded another redraft pick and Kelvin Herrera for Chase Anderson. Considering the upgrade of the Brewer's OF defense, this looked like a no-brainer. CA comes with a cheap option in 2019 and an expensive option in 2020.

I was right about how the draft fell out. Ryan Braun was available at my pick.

J
                  Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

We are through the six rounds of single year (redraft) players. I had five picks. I traded

Four redraft picks, Robinson Cano (one year) and Kelvin Herrera (2019 option) for
                    Eric Thames (one year), Matt Olson, Robby Ray, Kevin Gausman and Chase Anderson with options for 2019.

Now a long wait til my next pick.

J
                    Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

I hope Gausman doesn't conflagurate your pitching staff in the first six weeks, as he's done the past two years.

Comment

You mean Kevin Gascan?

It's a H2H league. The first month will be ugly regardless.

J
                        Last edited by onejayhawk; 02-26-2018, 10:34 AM.
                        Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                          I hope Gausman doesn't conflagurate your pitching staff in the first six weeks, as he's done the past two years.
                          He decided not to wait. While backing up home plate today (he was pitching, after all, so a play at the plate was likely) he collided with Jeimar Candelario (who was going to signal to the runner to slide) and both players left the game. They were examining his head.

Comment

Are you saying Gausman is hard headed or that he has a soft spot?

J
                            Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

We are now well into the final third, circa #350. I have a cluster of picks coming up, literally three picks out of ten.

I have added a couple of high upside MI, Aledmys Diaz and JP Crawford. Crawford's defense will play. I have already fielded (insulting) trade offers for him. Diaz is pure dice roll, but I think he will play regularly (since he backs up Tulo and Devon Travis).

Should I load up on pitchers, to fill my slots? About ten of Paul Sporer's top 100 SP are left, led by German Marquez. Several (eg Musgrove) can but used in a RP role.

Some available players I have an eye on are Teoscar Hernandez, Yasmani Grandal, and Johan Camargo. The question is when to pull the trigger. Later on I'll take some multi-position players like Jose Reyes, Wilmer Flores and Derek Dietrich. All spent time on WW last season.

J
                              Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Working...
                              X