Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auction software - the non-baseball nerd thread

Originally posted by Ken View Post
    Couldn’t you make an Ajax request to the page that lists their teams, pull it back and load the urls into an overlay. Then parse out the league url from those objects and make a request directly to the league info page and parse the returned html based on the league they select?

CBS leagues have the league specific information in the root domain, I.e. fantasyleaguexyz.cbssports.com. If the user is logged in you may be able to make the request for them simply replacing the league name
    You can, that's what v1.0 of my RosterChecker software does to see what players are in minor league slots but have lost rookie status. You can definitely do this whole thing by just running a headless browser in code and pretending to be the user, which entails the user entering their credentials into the tool. On the upside this probably never breaks because they remove the API code, and you have full access to do anything the player can so you can definitely manipulate the auction tools etc., but it also involves parsing pretty big HTML pages (there's a lot of advertising and stuff) and if they change the HTML the software breaks.

I also actually don't know how to do the headless browser code for push sites, which the auction tool is, but that's a solvable problem.
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

It's also going to be really annoying to develop this without an explicit API if I have to spawn a new draft room every time I want to test something.
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
      You can, that's what v1.0 of my RosterChecker software does to see what players are in minor league slots but have lost rookie status. You can definitely do this whole thing by just running a headless browser in code and pretending to be the user, which entails the user entering their credentials into the tool. On the upside this probably never breaks because they remove the API code, and you have full access to do anything the player can so you can definitely manipulate the auction tools etc., but it also involves parsing pretty big HTML pages (there's a lot of advertising and stuff) and if they change the HTML the software breaks.
      True, but I was thinking of just using the html parsing for getting the one piece of data (the league ID or token), and then use the api after that.

I also actually don't know how to do the headless browser code for push sites, which the auction tool is, but that's a solvable problem.
      The basic concept is you setup your pointer to the handler and it turns into a listener. That said, I haven't looked at that type code for a while so might be a couple road blocks I'm not thinking of.

Then again, a "push" site can be simulated with lots of pulls as well (although we might hit some limits and throw some red flags up if we pull too often)

Comment

It's also going to be really annoying to develop this without an explicit API if I have to spawn a new draft room every time I want to test something.
        Would be nice if they had a slow draft such that we could put days long limits on it and just let it go off on it's on for weeks at a time without worry about it ending.

Comment

I should have looked first. CBS does have a slow draft. Max time is 3 days per pick. That should be fine for draft.

Auction side is 60 seconds though

Comment

True, but I was thinking of just using the html parsing for getting the one piece of data (the league ID or token), and then use the api after that.
            oh that makes sense. Sure. I don't see explicit documentation on the developer site for interacting with the draft, but I got that working URL by parsing the main page so (a) they still use their own API which makes it less likely it'll go away and (b) if there is an API for the draft I might be able to extract it from a sample draft room.

Comment

I'm running a mock draft now - it'll still fire it off even if you're the only person in the room, but as soon as you time out on one pick it autodrafts everyone - and it's very odd. Using the Chrome developer tools, I can see that there's network traffic when you open a player card but AFAICT there's no traffic when you actually press the "draft" button. I wonder how that works.

Comment

fwiw ... I also used to play around with Kimono Labs (before they got bought out) - they had a product that turned a web scraping tool into a structured api. I always thought it would be perfect for something like this. I just googled it & while it got shut down there are some alternatives listed here.
                It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

I don't see explicit documentation on the developer site for interacting with the draft,
                  Isn't that here: http://developer.cbssports.com/docum.../draft-results

Comment

I'm running a mock draft now - it'll still fire it off even if you're the only person in the room, but as soon as you time out on one pick it autodrafts everyone - and it's very odd. Using the Chrome developer tools, I can see that there's network traffic when you open a player card but AFAICT there's no traffic when you actually press the "draft" button. I wonder how that works.
                    I'm seeing the same thing in a mock - no network traffic when I draft. I wonder if the draft is self contained and for a mock there's no need to send back to the server but in a real draft it stores off the results in a call as well?
                    Seems like that can't be the case for a multi-user mock, somehow you have to be notified who I picked? Weird.

Comment

That gets you the draft results but there's no endpoint to draft a player or see the current bid in an auction.

Comment

Working...
                      X