Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So what kind of dog (pets) ya got. Include names.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We had a pure bred yorkie named Murphy for 17 years until he had to be put down. We were both crushed and my wife wanted another dog immediately but I was just too broken up to get one right away. She eventually came to me crying and saying she was lonely during the day. I cannot stand to see my wife hurt so I relented. I knew I would want another dog I just needed more time than she did.

So within two weeks of losing Murphy we got Dexter another pure bred yorkie. He turned out to be a god send because our grandson committed suicide just after we got Dexter and he was able to help my wife work through the loss of Shane. My wife was a wreck for quite awhile and she still has her days but but Dexter gives her a purpose and he always makes her laugh and keeps her spirits up.

Animals have a great healing effect on humans!
    Last edited by Vecmizer; 07-14-2017, 02:21 PM.
    Its not what you've got. Its what you give.
    Its not the life you choose. Its the life you live--TESLA

Princess Kate-Kate Marie Hrischuk 9/12/00-1/27/07

Comment

We have three cats. The first, Ash, was a gift for Mother's Day for my wife 5 years ago. When she's laying down Ash is always right there beside her.

Our second, which we got a little over 2 years ago, is Sylvester. Bought for my son and is no doubt his cat. My son was gone for 3 weeks visiting family and Sylvester spent every day by the window looking for him. When Caleb came home last night, Sylvester didn't leave his side all night.

The third is my cat, just acquired in May. His name is Shadow. He's supposed to be mine, but you know how cats are. He's a traitor, at times. He came from a house where 42 (yes 42) cats were taken out of the home. Unbelievably every single one was healthy. We knew he couldn't be in a house by himself after being in a house with over 50 cats. Since my wife and I have been married we've had 10 different cats. They were all awesome in their own way.
      Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
        I have a 12 year old daughter and a few years ago I started doing voices for all of our pets to amuse her.

Fonzee (Collie) has a big dumb goofy kind of voice
        Molle (Daschund) - is a smart ass who is very sarcastic
        Buffy (older cat) - has a very cultured and spoiled cat voice
        Munchkin (younger cat) - very high pitched and fast talking voice.

Yeah I'm nuts!!
        So, you use your own voice for Molle?
        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Pogues View Post
          He's supposed to be mine, but you know how cats are.
          Heh. My daughter's cat Charlie decided that he was mine. He's the runty little Siamese shit-stirrer in the back:

I had never cared for cats before Charlie. He was such a little asshole to everyone else, but had a mad man crush on me, for whatever reason. Such was our bromance, he was actually going to stay with me when my daughter moved out. Unfortunately, he could not coexist with the previously-mentioned Sonny the bad-ass cop, so he had to go. I miss that little guy...
          "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
          "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
          "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

I'm back up to 3 cats now... the ex and I had up to 5 of our own at one point plus we were fostering mother cats and kittens for the my local vet who did spay/neuter/release in the city of camden. One year between my cats, a feral cat colony in my backyard, 2 litters of foster kittens, and a stray dog my ex stole from some guys yard, we had 21 pets.

One kitty died right before I moved out (the only one of all of these that was ever "my" pet) and the rest stayed in the house with my ex, so for about 2 years I was pet free (and never breathed so well in my life). 3 of the 4 died off, and then my ex married her highschool boy friend who she had reconnected with on FB. He was allergic so she returned our diabetic cat to me.

So I've had L (his mom was a feral that lived in the Temple Beth-El parking lot behind my house, so we had a Beth and an Elle kitten that both turned out to be boys) again for about 5 years now. He's 14 and has been diabetic for 8 years. He's slowing down and a bit overweight and just likes to snuggle up to RJEL girl.

When we moved in together, RJEL girl had Brody, one of the foster kittens that was born in my garage. He's food driven and constantly plotting how the world would be better if he ran it. He's also somewhat skeptical of me, but loves his big brother and will sleep all day with him in their cat bed.

Osie (OC - Outdoor Cat) showed up in our backyard about 6 months ago. We was so small and underweight that I thought he was a kitten. I thought it would be nice to have a little feral cat that would come around for food on occasion. So I went out once, fed him and sat down to see what he would do. He ate the food and then walked over and jumped up on my lap and laid down. He obviously was someone's cat at some point, but he had been out long enough to have gotten scooped up my a spay/neuter/release group and had his ear tipped. I stuck with the illusion that he would be an outdoor cat as long as I could.. even made him a little home out of a storage bin when it started to get colder, but the first time RJEL girl saw him shivering, he was scooped up and now lives inside.
            I'm pretty sure his old family turned him out because he will not shut the hell up. He talks constantly! Follows us around all the time, chirping or screaming his head off. He loves to be held or sit on our laps. The vet estimates him at 3.

4 cats is too many! 3 cats is probably too many... but what can you do?
            I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by Vecmizer View Post
              We had a pure bred yorkie named Murphy for 17 years until he had to be put down. We were both crushed and my wife wanted another dog immediately but I was just too broken up to get one right away. She eventually came to me crying and saying she was lonely during the day. I cannot stand to see my wife hurt so I relented. I knew I would want another dog I just needed more time than she did.

So within two weeks of losing Murphy we got Dexter another pure bred yorkie. He turned out to be a god send because our grandson committed suicide just after we got Dexter and he was able to help my wife work through the loss of Shane. My wife was a wreck for quite awhile and she still has her days but but Dexter gives her a purpose and he always makes her laugh and keeps her spirits up.

I'm so sorry to read this story. Heartbreaking to be sure. Pets truly can be a blessing in difficult times. There is an old story about why dogs die of heart issues. A father was reluctant to tell his young daughter about their family pet that died the night before. He searched for the right words until the daughter said. Daddy don't be sad, Tricia died because her heart gave out after loving us so hard for so long. The wisdom of children and the healing power of pets.
              I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

Originally posted by Pogues View Post
                We have three cats. The first, Ash, was a gift for Mother's Day for my wife 5 years ago. When she's laying down Ash is always right there beside her.

Our second, which we got a little over 2 years ago, is Sylvester. Bought for my son and is no doubt his cat. My son was gone for 3 weeks visiting family and Sylvester spent every day by the window looking for him. When Caleb came home last night, Sylvester didn't leave his side all night.

The third is my cat, just acquired in May. His name is Shadow. He's supposed to be mine, but you know how cats are. He's a traitor, at times. He came from a house where 42 (yes 42) cats were taken out of the home. Unbelievably every single one was healthy. We knew he couldn't be in a house by himself after being in a house with over 50 cats. Since my wife and I have been married we've had 10 different cats. They were all awesome in their own way.
                Good story.
                I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post

Ronald Reagan

Comment

20170302_100615.jpg

Brody is Black, Osie is in the sun, L is... licking himself?
                    Attached Files

Comment

I was telling someone once about feral cats and she said they had never heard of such a thing... she were shocked that cats without homes existed, and figured it must be a rural thing. I told her if she put food out behind her house for a week straight she would have cats living in her yard.

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                        That is exactly what my family says.
                        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

We have a jack russell named Jack Russell and five cats. I never saw the point in naming cats. They don't even look up when you call them. In any event, they are Callie, Muffin, Betty, Mustard and Wally. There is a grey kitten hanging around. I think it will become part of the zoo.

J
                          Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                            We have a jack russell named Jack Russell and five cats. I never saw the point in naming cats. They don't even look up when you call them. In any event, they are Callie, Muffin, Betty, Mustard and Wally. There is a grey kitten hanging around. I think it will become part of the zoo.

J
                            My cat Buffy comes to me when i call her.
                            "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                              I was telling someone once about feral cats and she said they had never heard of such a thing... she were shocked that cats without homes existed, and figured it must be a rural thing. I told her if she put food out behind her house for a week straight she would have cats living in her yard.
                              Yes she would. A couple up the street from us has been feeding feral cats for years. They don't cause any issues other than they slowly stroll through our yard in front of our porch to torment my Pom. Even though we live along a woods line, we don't have a problem with mice because of these cats.

Comment

Originally posted by Vecmizer View Post

So sorry for the loss of your grandson. That has to be a terrible pain to deal with; so glad that you have Dexter. No matter how bad a day I may be having, when I get home and my Mia is waiting to play (even before I change), it can't help but lift my spirits. BTW, the Poms have this breed trait where they do pirouettes when excited or happy - and that twirl of hers will make anyone smile.

Comment

Working...
                                X