Anyone Golf?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Golf league started two weeks ago!!!

This past Wednesday we had to cancel as we had snow flurries all day!!

It is so fantastic to be golfing again!!
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
      Golf league started two weeks ago!!!

This past Wednesday we had to cancel as we had snow flurries all day!!

It is so fantastic to be golfing again!!
      Good for you sir!

I played yesterday for my first round of the year (no practice balls or driving range either). I shot a respectable 46 on the front and was on my way to the same going into the 18th... where I took a 9 to finish 50.

Not to happy with a 96, but hit some really good shots in there to along with the bad ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
        Good for you sir!

I played yesterday for my first round of the year (no practice balls or driving range either). I shot a respectable 46 on the front and was on my way to the same going into the 18th... where I took a 9 to finish 50.

Not to happy with a 96, but hit some really good shots in there to along with the bad ones.
        Always have the bad with the good!!

Hot and humid today, but might get rained out. Hopefully we get the round in.
        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

My league does match play. I gave my opponent a stroke on 4 holes.

I shot a 40 and won 5.5 of 9 points (win a hole get a point, tie a hole get .5 points.)

Highlight was making a 50 foot putt to save par!

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
            My league does match play. I gave my opponent a stroke on 4 holes.

I shot a 40 and won 5.5 of 9 points (win a hole get a point, tie a hole get .5 points.)

Highlight was making a 50 foot putt to save par!
            Nice highlight! I love the feeling of tracking long putts into the hole.

I just found out my co-worker's step son qualified this week for the US Open. He shot nine under for the 36 hole event. Tied for first!

The US Open is one of the majors that puts a big emphasis on amateur golfers…over 9000 entries all competing for 156 spots(75 of these spots occupied by tour pros).

Comment

there are 109 local qualifier events, and then 11 sectionals.

here is the breakdown:

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/us-...ults-schedules

is he Matthew Sharpstene?

in 2019, there were 17 spots taken by qualifiers.

a pal of mine got to play in a couple of local qualifiers BITD, which in itself is amazing (you need about a 1 handicap or lower to gain entry).
              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Going golfing this afternoon with my business partner, who is pretty much a scratch golfer. We are playing at a very difficult course. I'll be lucky to break 100. He'll probably beat me by 30 shots.
                More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                  there are 109 local qualifier events, and then 11 sectionals.

here is the breakdown:

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/us-...ults-schedules

is he Matthew Sharpstene?

in 2019, there were 17 spots taken by qualifiers.

a pal of mine got to play in a couple of local qualifiers BITD, which in itself is amazing (you need about a 1 handicap or lower to gain entry).
                  Nicely played Mr. Holmes. It is Matt.

Comment

Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                    Going golfing this afternoon with my business partner, who is pretty much a scratch golfer. We are playing at a very difficult course. I'll be lucky to break 100. He'll probably beat me by 30 shots.
                    Enjoy the course and the afternoon.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                      Enjoy the course and the afternoon.
                      Thanks, man! It's making me a little nervous to go out and get my ass kicked, particularly in a foursome of experienced guys, but weather is absolutely perfect and glad to get out from behind the desk, for sure.
                      More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                        Thanks, man! It's making me a little nervous to go out and get my ass kicked, particularly in a foursome of experienced guys, but weather is absolutely perfect and glad to get out from behind the desk, for sure.
                        They care more about their own score than what you shoot.

I used to play with a better than scratch golfer and a 6 handicap. I made sure I knew all the course etiquette and did not slow them down. I was a good sport. They asked me to play all the time. I was a mid to high 90's golfer.

Comment

• yep, it's all about pacing and good camaraderie for almost all stellar golfers - not what you shoot.

if they're all in the fairway awaiting second-shot pitching wedges and you're in the woods - well, USGA changed the rule last year from 5 minutes of search to 3 minutes. maybe you don't even bother with the full 3 if it's "needle in the haystack" time.

I'm sure you did fine. anybody who cares enough to have that concern probably will be fine. it's the oblivious ones.....
                          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                            You should negotiate being able to use a Frisbee around the green instead of chipping and putting.

Hope you had a great time!
                            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Thanks, gents. Shot a 101 and honestly was pretty okay with it. Those greens were insane! Two guys in my group shot around low-mid 80s and one guy shot a 73! I did drain a putt that was probably 45-50 ft which was cool. I really need to play more than once every two years or whatever lol. One of the guys I played with is an elite water polo player and I swear he hit one drive with the wind that went 370 yards - drove the green from the blues on one of the more difficult par 4s.

Comment

• That’s a good score on a tough course when you don’t play much!
                                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Working...
                                X