Anyone Golf?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
    Thanks, gents. Shot a 101 and honestly was pretty okay with it. Those greens were insane! Two guys in my group shot around low-mid 80s and one guy shot a 73! I did drain a putt that was probably 45-50 ft which was cool. I really need to play more than once every two years or whatever lol. One of the guys I played with is an elite water polo player and I swear he hit one drive with the wind that went 370 yards - drove the green from the blues on one of the more difficult par 4s.
    Awesome! Glad you had a good time.

Did you play from the blues as well? If yes, playing as few times as you do a 101 is really a great score.

Comment

• No, I played from whites. The course is relatively straight, pretty narrow though, but it’s the greens that are tough. Every green is very sloped and I found myself putting downhill all day long.
      More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Met up with my golfing buddy this morning for a quick 18. I was hitting them long and straight (for me). Ended up the front nine 1 over par for a 37. Finished the back at 43 for an 80. Had three 6's on the back.

I think the 37 is my best score for 9 holes I have ever had.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
          Met up with my golfing buddy this morning for a quick 18. I was hitting them long and straight (for me). Ended up the front nine 1 over par for a 37. Finished the back at 43 for an 80. Had three 6's on the back.

I think the 37 is my best score for 9 holes I have ever had.
          Wow, awesome job!

(I was gently reminded by my buddy today that my 101 was "not legit" since I pulled a few mulligans and gentle kicks out of the shrubbery onto playable lies and such. So I guess I retract my prior statements!)
          More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• ah, it's apples and oranges.

I have mentioned that I broke 80 when I was 16 years old (78, and never did so again but close), and from playing in events and high school golf and such, no mulligans or improving lies or anything.

but for recreational golfers, there's no problem with any of that - especially if it improves pace of play for everyone.

the game is supposed to be fun, and having to risk sprained ligaments in your wrist because your ball is up against a tree root makes no sense compared to just moving it a couple of feet to safer ground.

and if someone only plays occasionally, there is no harm in mulligans, either - forget that tee shot ever happened, and right away you just hit one in play and you're off.

just enjoy getting out there - this "severe osteoarthritis" diagnosis doesn't keep me from getting around just fine, but I may be permanently retired from the links, alas...
            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Nice round Gregg!

When I am golfing outside of my league play, i don't keep score. Like Judge said, it's about having fun and enjoying the day. Especially if you're over 50 years old!
              "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Looks like I'm headed out Friday to play an even tougher course with the same group. I really should be back on the bunny slope, golf-wise, but here we go! Over/under on lost balls - 8

Comment

Looks like I'm headed out Friday to play an even tougher course with the same group. I really should be back on the bunny slope, golf-wise, but here we go! Over/under on lost balls - 8
                  Remind them that you're playing under "an aggressive interpretation of winter rules".

Good luck and have a great time!
                  I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                    Remind them that you're playing under "an aggressive interpretation of winter rules".

Good luck and have a great time!
                    Ha, thanks! I'm gonna see if I can get a video of my buddy launching his 350+ yard tee shot to show you guys.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                      Nice round Gregg!

When I am golfing outside of my league play, i don't keep score. Like Judge said, it's about having fun and enjoying the day. Especially if you're over 50 years old!
                      I would not be able to NOT keep score. It would be like an itch that I cannot scratch.

A bad score no longer prevents me from enjoying the day.

Comment

Ha, thanks! I'm gonna see if I can get a video of my buddy launching his 350+ yard tee shot to show you guys.
                        I would like to see that.

Good luck and have fun. I will take the under on lost balls -8.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                          I would like to see that.

Good luck and have fun. I will take the under on lost balls -8.
                          Just talked with the dude and he swears he's never hit one longer than 330. So might be the case that I'm talking out of my ass. Wouldn't be the first time!

I was at the range with my brother in law a few years back and he hit one over the net beyond the 275 sign, though. That thing had to have been a 350+ yard drive. He is a former professional baseball player, though, so the guy has some serious skills.

Comment

• Shot a 108 - so double bogey golf. I got par on the first two holes and then proceeded to gradually get worse as the day went on. I did put for birdie on the final hole, though! 'Course the three putt didn't really seal the deal, lol. It was fun but I'm not good enough to play courses like that.

I forgot to count how many lost balls! I'm guessing it was around 8 so I guess it was a push.

Comment

• holding a slim lead in my season-long golf pool with 19 weeks down, 11 weeks to go.

the other 4 main contenders in my 13-person pool (one female!) all passed on making their second Rahm pick two weeks ago, while I stepped on the gas and picked him.

he had a 7-shot lead on the final hole in Round 3 on Saturday and just had hit his drive into the fairway on 18.
                              was visiting my brother - way down the standings - and he came back with our takeout and asked if I wanted to watch the end of the last hole first.

"why would I bother?" I said, "this thing is over."

well, the other 2 in the final group made birdie to cut the lead to 6 - still an insurmountable lead with one round left.
                              after about 90 minutes at the backyard patio, my twin's eyes light up; neither one of us had looked at social media the entire time.
                              he says he'll show his wife a headline on his phone but can't show me.
                              "What, was Rahm disqualified or something?" I said sarcastically.
                              "wait, how did you know?" he said, before I think I threw up in my mouth.

so not only do I not get the $1.7 million Rahm prize money for my tally, I also have burned a precious Rahm pick for literally nothing.
                              it's like a poker player who boxes a rival (in this case, 4 main rivals) into a desperate spot - and out comes the King of Freaking Hearts on the river.
                              #doh #badbeat

meanwhile, my tradition is I send my Las Vegas golf buddy my picks each week, and he talks 'em all up. then I send 'em to the Commish.
                              well, my original quartet had 1st, 2nd, 3rd place - by 3 shots - on the 18th green on Saturday. nobody in this pool has ever hit that trifecta. I'd practically coast home for my half-a-grand check in late August.
                              BUT for once I read one too many previews, and decided I had to add Tony Finau (who finished T-30th). so I bounced ..... Cantlay, who wound up beating my Morikawa in a playoff on Sunday. win, place, show? nope, just "place."
                              #killmenow

I am positive all key rivals will use their 2nd Rahms this week - as well as their second Schauffeles.
                              I cut them off at the knees by using my 3rds to knock each player to the sidelines, basically. shortening the playing field, as they say.

now they'll know it's likely that I won't use my final play on either in the British Open in a few weeks - but that's a crapshoot over there, and I can only pick 4 players a week anyway.

my 3rd pick is - well, another 3rd of picks. I like Morikawa a lot here, and hope a few don't play him this week.

but my 4th and favorite choice is Patrick Reed - only my 2nd Reed play. he won on this same course in January, but the much more rugged rough here is nothing he can't handle, as my my bigger factor. he has gone top 20 in the last 6 majors, and only top 60 and ties make this cut out of 156 golfers. it's also "double money" for us, so even a 20th-place finish is sweet while a missed cut = $0.

I've limited the worst-case scenario - but I could fall out of the 3 money slots and as low as 5th or 6th in what's left of a perfect storm.
                              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Had a very solid round yesterday. My league had an outing at a course most of us never played. Very nice course.

Shot 43-37. The 37 was probably the best ball stroking round I have ever had. I had 5 birdie putts from 5-15 feet but only made 1. Won the doubles low net prize too.
                                "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Working...
                                X