No announcement yet.

*** VD 12 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

saw Squid had a work anniversary on Linkedin and wrote him a "hey".

here's what squid is up to...

Wow. Blast from the past. Thanks for reaching out and saying hello. Much appreciated. Life has been good - well, other than my root teams this year - unhealthy reliance on Todd Frazier, Eric Hosmer and Kevin Gausman killing me. Otherwise, job is great. Kids are growing up - just did a college tour with my son over his spring break two weeks ago (down south - Hopkins, Duke, UNC, UVA and Naval Academy). Great trip. Have my health and am happily divorced (that happened 4 years ago).

havent been on RJ in many years but do think of it occasionally and recall all the good times on there. Loved the VDs...
    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
      Is Vintage Drafting dead and buried? Let's see if we can get it started soon, since fantasy drafting season will be over shortly.
      I hope not. I'm sure we can get the band back together soon enough.

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
        saw Squid had a work anniversary on Linkedin and wrote him a "hey".

here's what squid is up to...
        Good to hear. His departure was so sudden.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
          I hope not. I'm sure we can get the band back together soon enough.
          I had talked to scott at one point about trying to program a website that would allow us to pick teams and calc scores. would be a good learning experience for me, although my current job expects about 10 hours of work a day out of me, so I'm not sure I have the time to even think about learning.

Comment

I had talked to scott at one point about trying to program a website that would allow us to pick teams and calc scores. would be a good learning experience for me, although my current job expects about 10 hours of work a day out of me, so I'm not sure I have the time to even think about learning.
            A Vd Website would be great - could grow the Drafting Pool from non RJ members and get one of these off the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by hacko View Post
              A Vd Website would be great - could grow the Drafting Pool from non RJ members and get one of these off the ground.
              I think buildout would be slow... first just sortable lists of players... then maybe drafting, then scoring, and maybe finally rules restrictions.

Comment

I built a front end a bunch of years back to see what kind of functionality it would require to put a version of VD online (for our use). The plan was to use this to learn some PHP ... I never got around to that, but I can see if I can fish it out somewhere. It probably looks pretty lame, but I recall it would require a lot of messing around (IOW experience) ... not really a novice project.

- Multiple login access, and the associated security features
                - Providing users with the functionality to test out different players, teams, strategies, and possibly save them

... and a bunch of other stuff I cannot recall now.

Basically, the open excel sheet provides more functionality with a fraction of the hassle, especially since we are all reasonably accustomed to it.

I'll see if I can find it. If someone was handy with PHP, I could easily update this.

Comment

Hey everybody. Long time.

I honestly wish I could shove in for another vd, but life is completely in the way right now. Staring my own consulting business, getting divorced (totally my fault) and not having your own 24 hr workspace because of issue number 2 are all obvious contributing factors. But hey. At least I got to fall in love with a girl nearly half my age. Still not sure if that one is working out. My life is on a constant tbd status lately.

On a side note, I caught up with GITH IRL back in February and he appears to be healthy. He was working in Atlantic City for a few weeks. Think he said he would be back this way in September with the wife. Good times.

I'll heckle when I can't sleep. Good luck boys.
                  "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
                  "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

Originally posted by Long John View Post
                    Hey everybody. Long time.

I honestly wish I could shove in for another vd, but life is completely in the way right now. Staring my own consulting business, getting divorced (totally my fault) and not having your own 24 hr workspace because of issue number 2 are all obvious contributing factors. But hey. At least I got to fall in love with a girl nearly half my age. Still not sure if that one is working out. My life is on a constant tbd status lately.

On a side note, I caught up with GITH IRL back in February and he appears to be healthy. He was working in Atlantic City for a few weeks. Think he said he would be back this way in September with the wife. Good times.

I'll heckle when I can't sleep. Good luck boys.
                    Damn dude ... that's a lot of catching up to cram into 1 paragraph. Not sure whether to commiserate, congratulate or console. On the bright side, at least you provided us with enough reading-between-the-lines to keep us in gossip for the entirety of the next VD

Comment

Apparently another VD veteran is having a Birthday, or is lying in their profile. Happy Birthday JonCarlos !
                      ---------------------------------------------
                      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

looking at a list of manager names in a database I'm working off of, and noting how many first names begin with J. I want to quiz my coworkers here about what letter is the most prevalent for first names and then stun them with the fact that it's J... but I'm pretty sure no one would give a shit. I've tried explaining BMW-SC to people before, but surprisingly no one has ever found it as fascinating as I do.

Comment

looking at a list of manager names in a database I'm working off of, and noting how many first names begin with J. I want to quiz my coworkers here about what letter is the most prevalent for first names and then stun them with the fact that it's J... but I'm pretty sure no one would give a shit. I've tried explaining BMW-SC to people before, but surprisingly no one has ever found it as fascinating as I do.
                          Maybe you should break out the QUIZY OVEN, much more fascinating than BMW-SC
                          Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

IMG_0243.jpg
                            Jim Umbricht's baseball at Minute Maid Park
                            Last edited by Kevin Seitzer; 06-16-2017, 03:05 PM.
                            "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

for what it's worth, after parsing https://www.ssa.gov/oact/babynames/d...ames2000s.html, it's not J for combined both gender name in the 2000s:

(values are male, female, both)

A: 1477642 1734620 3212262
                              J: 2549691 645833 3195524
                              M: 870119 1099858 1969977
                              C: 1300653 446960 1747613
                              E: 695152 736878 1432030
                              S: 484310 857820 1342130
                              B: 705536 321209 1026745
                              D: 825185 201360 1026545
                              K: 290538 674320 964858
                              L: 524384 432351 956735
                              N: 574494 236626 811120
                              G: 372424 329975 702399
                              T: 481487 167959 649446
                              R: 415397 221270 636667
                              H: 208307 313266 521573
                              I: 275880 218328 494208
                              O: 144446 155970 300416
                              P: 192732 96374 289106
                              V: 75911 193461 269372
                              W: 266651 x 266651
                              Z: 134707 70109 204816
                              F: 51636 48721 100357
                              X: 52426 x 52426

But it's dominant for male names, and probably even more so for your dataset looking at older people when names like James and John were even more popular.
                              In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

19238195_10211928985515952_4936487424275550926_o.jpg

Who's the New York VDer?
                                I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
                                You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
                                "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
                                It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

Working...
                                X