Scientists Claim to Have Found Evidence of ETs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
    We are wired to see the world as it is evolutionarily beneficial, not as it actually is.
    Can you expand on this statement?

Comment

Sour Masher you have a courtesy call on line #1.

I will be sitting in on this debate. and the first hint of my contention is referring to perception as optical illusions and 'wired to SEE the world'.

take as much time as you want to think about your statement. it's all good.

Comment

what we are really asking is if something exists besides us. I told Gregg once information can't be destroyed, but that also meant if someone is protecting all information than it's being recorded. you can travel back in time, but you can't change the past.

your perception can change, but it won't alter events. and the reason the sky is blue is because we live inside a giant named Macumber.

reality is on trial here. and like any good witness, you can't voir dire any truths without making assumptions.

Comment

when you overthink things it makes you an asset to cats. eventually you forget what you were talking about and shrug and declare, I don't know, what do you think?

which is better than seeing faces in cinnamon rolls. yeah.. don't ruin eating cinnamon rolls, heh.

sounds like the RV guy when we had a roaring fire, my neighbor Ed would say things like, that'll curl the hairs on your legs. but the RV guy would try to take pictures of the flames making faces. ironically he had a fire science degree.

Comment

Originally posted by nullnor View Post
            Sour Masher you have a courtesy call on line #1.

I will be sitting in on this debate. and the first hint of my contention is referring to perception as optical illusions and 'wired to SEE the world'.

take as much time as you want to think about your statement. it's all good.
            Thanks for tagging in nullnor. Optical illusions fascinate me and they are a good illustration of how we have evolved to see in a way that is beneficial rather than "accurate." Anil Seth's angle to this is to claim that your brain hallucinates our reality. We evolve based on what works for us to survive and thrive, not based on what is really objective reality, if such a thing can even be said to exist for a subjective being (video linked below). As an example, we now know that reality is not governed by Newtonian physics, but it sure worked really well for us, and continues to do so. Likewise, our perceptions evolved to suit our survival needs, within particular environments, and under specific conditions. What we experience through out senses is not about perceiving reality as it really is; it is about fitness. We perceive reality as we do, because it has worked to do so to get us here. We would perceive differently if we lived differently. Your dog experiences reality differently than you do. He smells things you cannot. He hears things you cannot. You see colors he does not. We only perceive a tiny band of the electromagnetic spectrum, and even that only through the filter of our consciousness, as another example of how we do not see reality, but merely the shadows on the cave walls, as Plato put it.

Last edited by Sour Masher; 12-24-2020, 12:26 AM.

Comment

While on the subject of the limitations of our perceptions, I figure this is a good time to share a version of "The Egg," a story by Andy Weir (the guy who wrote The Martian, which was made into the Matt Damon movie). I think it is a beautiful story of who we are, and a great way to perceive ourselves.

Comment

Another fun fact: Logic's 2017 album Everybody was based on "The Egg." He even has a track with Neil DeGrasse Tyson retelling it. Here is the title song, which on its own doesn't make the connection clear, but some of the connections are here, and it is clear why someone who looks white, but is biracial (his father is black) would find a connection to the story.

Comment

I am still thinking about it.

birds seeing in ultraviolet is a great example. humans that have had certain eye surgery can see some ultraviolet.

tonite, now 2 cats sleeping. earlier my cat lying on my chest, I put birds on computer. I know how cats can see. I know what colors and how much they can see in the dark.

it's an awesome ability to be able to see in the dark.

and they on the bed, mother and daughter, my cat's the matriarch. normal. daughter is calico. an awesome fur. having an extra X chromosome allowed her to had extra colors and extra fur. she's difficult. she's lived in 2 winters every night. no problem. her mom is a ginger. gingers are more physically sensitive. it's true. when going to a dentist under Novocain they will feel more pain. I watch how they cuddle together. the calico pisses off her mom sometimes, but when they sleep together she positions herself to protect her from the cold wind.

perhaps later, we'll get into how Einstein interprets perspective.

Comment

I watched the movie Cosmos (2019) the other day. it's the blacksmith dude from GoT in it. it's basically 90 minutes of what Jodi Foster was thinking when she first picked up a wow signal in Contact. it was actually a good movie. I also thought it was ironic that Arecibo Observatory, that's what just collapsed, is there really a binary Arecibo Observatory message floating in space? if that's true I wasn't knowledgeable of it.

cheers friend

Comment

when I first met these cats their nutrition was so bad I took one to the vet afraid of hyperthyroidism or breathing too fast or internal parasites. I even waited a year. everything came up negative. and it took that long to get after getting some normal food in her to make a difference. that's all it was. I was convince this 3-4 year old cat had a medical condition based on her breathing rate.

so if I ever met aliens, I would have a few cans of fancy feast in my pocket, just in case. good food is a good welcoming message.

Comment

Comment

the guy in the Ted talk is wrong. imo he's doing a bunch of cheap perception tricks to make his point. and trying to be some popscientist for attention.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...nd-everything/
                          In 2015, doctors in Germany reported the extraordinary case of a woman who suffered from what has traditionally been called “multiple personality disorder” and today is known as “dissociative identity disorder” (DID). The woman exhibited a variety of dissociated personalities (“alters”), some of which claimed to be blind. Using EEGs, the doctors were able to ascertain that the brain activity normally associated with sight wasn’t present while a blind alter was in control of the woman’s body, even though her eyes were open. Remarkably, when a sighted alter assumed control, the usual brain activity returned.

Comment

I don't really know what I am saying. is it perception rules consciousness or consciousness rules perception. the guy in the Ted video said all the right things. he is in the Lady Lovelace camp. AI can never be self-aware because it's biological and part of an underlying rule not yet discovered. my guess is consciousness is quantum biological. Roger Penrose was one of the first ones to propose it.

the brain needs a lot of energy. 3 pound mass of jelly. if you look at plants, not self-aware, they do a lot of quantum biological tricks for energy.

the guy's heart is in the right place. but it's like the movie Armageddon. stole my idea and built it backwards and can't figure out why it keeps breaking drill heads. heh

Comment

Anyone have thoughts on the Pentagon released videos of UFOs (they call the UAPs--unidentified aerial phenomenon) from last week? Today did a piece on it, interviews ex military officials that are convinced they are extraterrestrial. One high ranking officials says there are way more videos are are much more compelling that have not yet been released. I'm still like 90% certain there has to be another explanation. I just can't fathom that alien being would go through all the trouble of coming to are teeny tiny back water to do random flybys. I am also supremely confident that if Trump was briefed on aliens we would 100% have heard about it by now. But some of the folks making these claims seem credible, and an official report is being prepared for Congress. The evidence is pretty overwhelming that there are things being seen that we do not understand and seem impossible with current technology. It seems much more likely that someone somewhere developed some crazy tech that we have not figured out yet. That is pretty crazy on its own.

Comment

Amazing. So glad they’re releasing these videos now.

Comment

Working...
                                X