Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [QUOTE=The Feral Slasher;430389]
    Originally posted by Gregg View Post

there are really good videos out there, but there is a real drop off to the some of the second rate stuff online
    that's some real edgy humor there.

Comment

• got this joke off reddit.

A man wanted to get a tattoo. The only issue was the tattoo was a devilishly intricate design. He went to his local tattoo parlor but was turned away as the artist was not skilled enough. He tried again at a busy show in a nearby city, only to be told it was too difficult once again.

Dejected, the man set out on a quest to find a tattoo artist skilled enough to make his dream a reality. He searched all across the US to no avail. He moved to the UK, then Germany, then Japan, but still could not find an artist skilled enough for his design. He continued he quest around the world.

It was only near the end of his journey, in a small dingy Spanish shop that his dream finally came to fruition. When the tattoo was complete it was just as glorious as he had imagined. Every painstaking detail was perfectly replicated on his body, every vibrant color perfectly transplanted. Its execution exceeded even his wildest dreams, after all, no one expects the Spanish ink precision
      Last edited by heyelander; 11-02-2022, 05:43 PM.
      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
        got this joke off reddit.

A man wanted to get a tattoo. The only issue was the tattoo was a devilishly intricate design. He went to his local tattoo parlor but was turned away as the artist was not skilled enough. He tried again at a busy show in a nearby city, only to be told it was too difficult once again.

Dejected, the man set out on a quest to find a tattoo artist skilled enough to make his dream a reality. He searched all across the US to no avail. He moved to the UK, then Germany, then Japan, but still could not find an artist skilled enough for his design. He continued he quest around the world.

It was only near the end of his journey, in a small dingy Spanish shop that his dream finally came to fruition. When the tattoo was complete it was just as glorious as he had imagined. Every painstaking detail was perfectly replicated on his body, every vibrant color perfectly transplanted. Its execution exceeded even his wildest dreams, after all, no one expects the Spanish ink perfection.
        Ha, I like it. I didn't see the punchline coming until the words "after all." I haven't seen any MP stuff in a long time. Might be time to see how it holds up.

Comment

• i think I actually fucked up the punchline.. .should be precision, not perfection. Ironic?
          I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
            i think I actually fucked up the punchline.. .should be precision, not perfection. Ironic?
            That does work better, but perfection was close enough for me to get the reference.

Comment

• This is terrific.

Comment

• “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
                  Wow! I couldn't get my battery operated Santa Train for under the tree to work this year.

I enjoyed watching this and appreciate this type of thing, but I have no desire to do it. I think that is part of my appreciation.

Comment

• In my quest to find details of Roy Rogers visit to Milwaukee I came across this picture of the June 15th 1977 Pink Floyd Animals Tour at Milwaukee County Stadium. I should have mentioned they sent out a giant pig with red eyes over the band and crowd. Then they blew it up.

It collectively scared all 50,000 people in attendance. I was at that concert the best one I was ever to see. Until today it was only in my minds eye. Thank you RJ!

I hope you will enjoy the picture.

Last edited by Gregg; 01-06-2023, 04:39 PM. Reason: to add exploding pig

Comment

• Might have helped if I posted the exploding pig the first time.

My future wife was at the Chicago leg of the tour 4 days later.

I showed her the picture. She is now playing (Pigs Three Different Ones) loudly in the kitchen.

Comment

• I was going to ask what happened to the floating pig. When I saw them on a very hot Memorial Day 1988 at Three Rivers Stadium in Pittsburgh, the floating pig squirted on the crowd. Water... I hope.
                        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• A new national windchill record was set in Mount Washington, New Hampshire on Friday night when it felt like minus 108° F thanks to a temperature of minus 46° F and wind gusts of 127 mph. Now that's cold! Reportedly, teenagers there were still wearing shorts.
                          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• I never knew that paper would explode while under extreme pressure.

Best Hydraulic Press Moments of 2022

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• I came across this on twitter yesterday...it's from TIme.com, which I think used to be a magazine, and maybe still is. Life comes at you fast. I always assumed the threat from AI is decades out. This guy seems much more concerned. I don't have the technical knowledge to comment. Kinda sucks to think that this could happen.

The Only Way to Deal With the Threat From AI? Shut It Down | Time

Many researchers steeped in these issues, including myself, expect that the most likely result of building a superhumanly smart AI, under anything remotely like the current circumstances, is that literally everyone on Earth will die. Not as in “maybe possibly some remote chance,” but as in “that is the obvious thing that would happen.” It’s not that you can’t, in principle, survive creating something much smarter than you; it’s that it would require precision and preparation and new scientific insights, and probably not having AI systems composed of giant inscrutable arrays of fractional numbers.
                              ​​
                              EDIT: Yudkowsky is a decision theorist from the U.S. and leads research at the Machine Intelligence Research Institute. He's been working on aligning Artificial General Intelligence since 2001 and is widely regarded as a founder of the field.
                              ---------------------------------------------
                              Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                              ---------------------------------------------
                              The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                                I came across this on twitter yesterday...it's from TIme.com, which I think used to be a magazine, and maybe still is. Life comes at you fast. I always assumed the threat from AI is decades out. This guy seems much more concerned. I don't have the technical knowledge to comment. Kinda sucks to think that this could happen.

The Only Way to Deal With the Threat From AI? Shut It Down | Time

Many researchers steeped in these issues, including myself, expect that the most likely result of building a superhumanly smart AI, under anything remotely like the current circumstances, is that literally everyone on Earth will die. Not as in “maybe possibly some remote chance,” but as in “that is the obvious thing that would happen.” It’s not that you can’t, in principle, survive creating something much smarter than you; it’s that it would require precision and preparation and new scientific insights, and probably not having AI systems composed of giant inscrutable arrays of fractional numbers.
                                ​​
                                EDIT: Yudkowsky is a decision theorist from the U.S. and leads research at the Machine Intelligence Research Institute. He's been working on aligning Artificial General Intelligence since 2001 and is widely regarded as a founder of the field.
                                Let me first say that I think, and I think people in general think, that there is a significant potential risk to humans from artificially intelligent entities. But in my quick reading of this article I see nothing presented that supports its claim that AI development will inevitably lead to the quick destruction of all human life. The only reason I saw presented in this article as to why this will happen is the assertion that AI doesnt care about us and can use our atoms to make "something else". It doesnt say what this "something else" is that AI would want to create or why it would be more advantageous to use us for building this stuff as opposed to much more plentiful and convenient atoms in earth, water and air (we're made of the same atoms, you know). The statement doesnt make any sense at all. And it goes on to say that because of this imminent threat, which it cites no specific evidence in support of, nations would be justified in risking a nuclear exchange to destroy the data centers where this AI is being created!?!?!? This is one of the most outlandish and criminally irresponsible statements I've heard in a long time. Such a statement certainly calls into question the credibility of everything else in the article. Maybe I missed something, but I thought this was a very poor and very irresponsible article.

Re: the call for a 6-month moratorium on AI development, I dont have any strong opinions either way, simply because I dont know enough about it. I can say that over the last few weeks I've watched a few videos of people asking ChatGPT various questions, including scientific and technical ones, and my general impression is that I have significantly overestimated what it can do currently. ChatGPT 4 seems better than previous versions but it not only gets a lot things wrong, including seemingly relatively simple questions, it is often very authoritative in its wrong answers. If you challenge its accuracy, it will try to formulate a better answer, but often still gives incomplete and sometimes completely wrong answers.

Also, re: moratoriums or restrictions on AI development, or anything else for that matter, if there is a way to make money off of it someone someplace will do it no matter what restrictions or disincentives you use. And it will be very useful so people will make money off of it. So it's going to happen. We'll have to come up w some way to effectively manage it. Exactly how, I dont know.
                                Last edited by rhd; 06-07-2023, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X