RIP Prince

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Controller Jacobs View Post
    But that's the thing - Robert Johnson or Muddy Waters or Howlin' Wolf are all really easy to find on youtube - either entire albums or individual songs in an ordered list. Outside of Prince, the missing songs/albums are usually smaller acts from pre-1990.
    I'm not judging his decision, just noting how remarkable it is that one act seemed to be the one that so thoroughly accomplished it, and the resulting vacuum.
    But you won't find many Robert Johnson concert videos.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
      It certainly was never public knowledge if he was...the narrative now is that he was in chronic pain from all the abuse that his body took from performing. At least one replacement hip, if not two...painkiller addiction is my bet since the autopsy will most likely show that he dies from an opiate overdose.
      Just what I thought once it was announced.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

I know this is almost 20 minutes long, but what the hell. It's probably not going to be up for long and it's pretty damn good! After listening to this extended live version you won't want to listen to the other versions of this song. Another great Prince guitar solo here as well.

Last edited by madducks; 03-12-2017, 03:16 PM. Reason: video #4
        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Gotta love the celebrity worship in our society. Niagra Falls purple? Bridges turned purple? Because a musician died. wow.
          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

other than Prince and Bowie, name another peer as a solo act. For those that didn't like mainstream music in the 80s and 90s, these guys were gods
            "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
              Gotta love the celebrity worship in our society. Niagra Falls purple? Bridges turned purple? Because a musician died. wow.
              Seriously, why not? The lights are already set up at these places, all it took was for someone to click on purple on the console ... Probably didn't cost a cent.
              It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Why didn't Chris Squire get this type of love from the world when he died. He was arguably as influential as Prince was.

I guess it's because a Squire isn't as important as a Prince!!
                "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Why didn't Chris Squire get this type of love from the world when he died. He was arguably as influential as Prince was.

I'm pretty sure that Chris Squire was nowhere as influential as Prince was, I can't see any argument where that's going to fly. Like him or not price was a once in a generation type of talent, who managed to not only stay popular for decades, but actually increase his mystique over the years to the point where he became legendary. Both with the fans and with his peers...

So yeah, as an artist, Chris Squire isn't as important as Prince.
                  "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                  - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                  -Warren Ellis

Comment

there was one?
                    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Thankfully, he was in death as he was in life...extremely private.

Prince was cremated and his final resting place will remain private, a spokesperson said Saturday.

A private funeral service was held Saturday afternoon at Paisley Park, attended by, among others, Sheila E; model Damaris Lewis; Prince siblings Tyka Nelson and Omar Baker, and Prince’s close musical and spiritual mentor Larry Graham, decked out in a purple suit and hat. Afterward, Paisley Park staff handed out about 300 purple boxes filled with Prince souvenirs to fans congregated outside Paisley.

A musical celebration will be held at a future date to be determined, according to the statement.

In retrospect, those who saw Prince regularly say there were indications that he might have been concealing health problems. He abandoned his trademark high-heeled boots for custom platform sneakers, for one thing, and began carrying a cane.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Springsteen opened his "The River" album show at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn tonight with "Purple Rain," fyi
                        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

And that's why he's "The Boss"...[video]

-Warren Ellis

Comment

In all seriousness, who? There isn't a person on this board who doesn't know who Prince is. But I haven't got a clue who Chris Squire is. I'll go look him up to learn.
                            Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                              And that's why he's "The Boss"...[video]

hey, Jersey's got Minnesota's back.....
                              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                                While I do agree with the points that johnny made, I will say the entire generation you refer to could have at least gone out and bought a damn record.
                                “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                                X