Excellent Podcasts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excellent Podcasts?

I only started getting into audio podcasts a couple of months ago, but I've been loving it. Looking for some recommendations. Here's what I've been into:

The Jonah Keri Podcast - fangraphs writer and knowledgable baseball geek. Often insightful, but sometimes spotty guests drag it down. Still worth a listen.

Up And In: The Baseball Prospectus Podcast - I found this one through Jonah Keri's show, and it's turned into my absolute favourite. Hosted by Kevin Goldstein and Jason Parks, content is divided pretty evenly between talk about prospects, major league happenings, music, and various personal musings. Around episode 14, parks' marriage falls apart and hilarity ensues. Are there any other baseball podcasts that come close to this?

This American Life - brilliant, highly engaging storytelling.

DNTO (Definitely Not The Opera) - if you're a fan of This American Life and can't get enough good storytelling, this is pretty much the Canadian counterpart.

Downtown Soulville - one hour show from WFMU that plays obscure soul with minimal banter. Great as a soundtrack to doing the dishes or hanging out with a couple of friends.

The Dusty Show with Clay Pigeon - an older guy that mixes street interviews with soundbites and obscurities. His taste in music can be a bit grating, often leaning towards 70's and 80's hair bands, but the topical shows with street interviews are awesome.

CITR (Parts Unknown and Pop Drones) - both campus radio shows hosted by friends of mine

WTF with Marc Maron - very hit or miss, but a good guest makes for a hilarious episode. All interviews with comedians, from bigger names like Patton Oswalt, Adam Carolla, Conan O'Brien, and Rob Corddry to some very funny virtual unknowns.

So, what are you digging?
    Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Tony Kornheiser Show
    Sheehan and Renny Podcast
    Fantasy 411
    Baseball America Podcast (I usually skip the College stuff)
    60 Minutes (just replays Sunday's show)
    Bill Simmons Podcast usually skip NBA stuff (which is what he mostly discusses)
    Baseball HQ
    Wall Street Journal (Daily and usually available by 7 AM for that day)
    Footballguys Audible (during football season)
    PTI (the show from the previous night)
    Bloomberg/Business Week (usually background on top story for the magazine)

Comment

I was going to recommend Kevin Goldstein and Jason Parks. I'm not much of a podcast guy, but I often time to listen to part of that one. But I see it is already your favorite.
      "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
        I only started getting into audio podcasts a couple of months ago, but I've been loving it. Looking for some recommendations. Here's what I've been into:

The Jonah Keri Podcast - fangraphs writer and knowledgable baseball geek. Often insightful, but sometimes spotty guests drag it down. Still worth a listen.

Up And In: The Baseball Prospectus Podcast - I found this one through Jonah Keri's show, and it's turned into my absolute favourite. Hosted by Kevin Goldstein and Jason Parks, content is divided pretty evenly between talk about prospects, major league happenings, music, and various personal musings. Around episode 14, parks' marriage falls apart and hilarity ensues. Are there any other baseball podcasts that come close to this?

This American Life - brilliant, highly engaging storytelling.

DNTO (Definitely Not The Opera) - if you're a fan of This American Life and can't get enough good storytelling, this is pretty much the Canadian counterpart.

Downtown Soulville - one hour show from WFMU that plays obscure soul with minimal banter. Great as a soundtrack to doing the dishes or hanging out with a couple of friends.

The Dusty Show with Clay Pigeon - an older guy that mixes street interviews with soundbites and obscurities. His taste in music can be a bit grating, often leaning towards 70's and 80's hair bands, but the topical shows with street interviews are awesome.

CITR (Parts Unknown and Pop Drones) - both campus radio shows hosted by friends of mine

WTF with Marc Maron - very hit or miss, but a good guest makes for a hilarious episode. All interviews with comedians, from bigger names like Patton Oswalt, Adam Carolla, Conan O'Brien, and Rob Corddry to some very funny virtual unknowns.

So, what are you digging?
        This American Life is my favorite podcast, WNYC's RadioLab is a close second. same idea, theme orientated shows, sometimes with a bit of science anchoring

Freakonomics Radio is another podcast in the same vein

The History Network offers 10-20 podcasts on individual subjects, I subscribe to the military stream which has fed me "Audie Murphy", "Midget Submarines" and "Napolean's Marshalls" as the last three

Dan Carlin's Hardcore History is an interesting series as well, I've enjoyed his stuff on the Roman Empire and the Punic Wars

I listen to a bunch of gaming podcasts, "Three Moves Ahead" focused on computer strategy and wargames, "The Dice Tower" focused on board games, "Slide to Play" and "Touch of Gaming" for iPad/iPhone games

Daily Grape is a new wine podcast from the guy that used to do Wine Library TV "The Internet's most passionate wine show" that I've started to check out...
        "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

If you're into Rays..we're doing PTBNL - podcast to be named later, at DRaysBay

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
            I was going to recommend Kevin Goldstein and Jason Parks. I'm not much of a podcast guy, but I often time to listen to part of that one. But I see it is already your favorite.
            This is probably my fave as well. I also listen to most of the BS Report stuff, I skip the Reality TV but it's a good way to follow the NBA casually. Jonah Keri is solid as well, if not on the same level as the first 2.

Betting Dork with Gil Alexander can be good too. Just read the synopsis and see if it's interesting, and skip the ones that sound dull. The guests can be a little too self-promoting at times but you can learn a lot.

Paul posted a list of podcasts a while ago. That's where I heard about the BP one. Here you go: http://paulsporer.com/2011/03/08/bas...endation-list/

I also listen to some of the daily ESPN podcasts - Baseball today, Fantasy Focus baseball (with Berry and Ravitz) and FF Football (ditto)

Comment

Am I the only one who hates, and I mean REALLY hates, the theme music for Keri's podcast?

Comment

Originally posted by amcg View Post
                Am I the only one who hates, and I mean REALLY hates, the theme music for Keri's podcast?
                I really like it!

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                  I really like it!
                  *RemovesKeriMusicFromSportsBarJukebox*

Comment

Originally posted by amcg View Post
                    Yes, you are

We were lucky enough to have Jonah in town this weekend and brought him on our show and did a ballpark event with him as well

Comment

Like the podcast, hate the music. Better than the other way around.

The theme tune will, however, remain removed from the jukebox.

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                        Dan Carlin's Hardcore History is an interesting series as well, I've enjoyed his stuff on the Roman Empire and the Punic Wars
                        My brother turned me onto this. I've been listening to Supernova in the East a 5 part series on Japan's rise to superpower at the turn of the 20th century and the War in the Pacific from the Japanese viewpoint. Each episode is around 4 hours long! Really good stuff. I think Revo would enjoy especially.

I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Working...
                        X