2K24: San Diego Padres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pitbull View Post
    I gambling that Ruiz is up to stay. I really needed another bat in the OF as I been rotating De La Cruz, Robles and Castillo. I'm in third place and 7 points out of 1st. Losing Harper was (understatement) huge.
    So--what I'm hearing right now is this--They're going to give Ruiz a chance to stick with the club but it may not be a Full Time role PLUS he might be traded in a package as the Padres look to upgrade at least 1-3 spots on their offense.

The Padres are absolutely buyers as the luxury of a deep starting rotation vanishes as Musgrove, Manaea and Sunshine are gone next season. The narrative that the Padres won't go over the Luxury tax are, IMO, bunk. They did last season, their window is this year and next so it's now or it gets more difficult as their pitching in the minors isn't very good (maybe why they've gone all in on arms this draft). They WILL extend Musgrove this season and that alone will put them over the cap. So any idea that the Padres won't add salary are again, IMO, off the mark.

Back to Ruiz, at best I see him as a platoon partner with Mazara. Tatis looks to again, be in the OF upon return, Profar, if healthy, will be tough to supplant in LF and then there's Grisham, Myers and Mazara. That's if they don't deal for another OF or 2 and I believe they will.

So unless Ruiz just explodes, he should be a spot start/pinch runner guy ROS. Sorry to be such a downer, but with his job on the line, I don't see Preller coming out of the trading deadline as a bridesmaid like he did last yearand that doesn't extrapolate to a lot of playing time for Ruiz--at least not with the Padres.
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
      So--what I'm hearing right now is this--They're going to give Ruiz a chance to stick with the club but it may not be a Full Time role PLUS he might be traded in a package as the Padres look to upgrade at least 1-3 spots on their offense.

The Padres are absolutely buyers as the luxury of a deep starting rotation vanishes as Musgrove, Manaea and Sunshine are gone next season. The narrative that the Padres won't go over the Luxury tax are, IMO, bunk. They did last season, their window is this year and next so it's now or it gets more difficult as their pitching in the minors isn't very good (maybe why they've gone all in on arms this draft). They WILL extend Musgrove this season and that alone will put them over the cap. So any idea that the Padres won't add salary are again, IMO, off the mark.

Back to Ruiz, at best I see him as a platoon partner with Mazara. Tatis looks to again, be in the OF upon return, Profar, if healthy, will be tough to supplant in LF and then there's Grisham, Myers and Mazara. That's if they don't deal for another OF or 2 and I believe they will.

So unless Ruiz just explodes, he should be a spot start/pinch runner guy ROS. Sorry to be such a downer, but with his job on the line, I don't see Preller coming out of the trading deadline as a bridesmaid like he did last yearand that doesn't extrapolate to a lot of playing time for Ruiz--at least not with the Padres.
      You are not a downer. I knew Ruiz might not stick just wish I had bid $9 which would have won and save $8. If he traded then it might be a good thing. Thanks for input it is always appreciated.

Comment

• From a roto standpoint Ruiz going to a national league team in a trade would be a good thing for me and might justify his $15 salary. From a Padre fan perspective it would be fun seeing some speed on the base paths, something that has been sorely missing this year. Boy, would he look good in a Nats uniform :-)

Comment

• Originally posted by FBP View Post
          From a roto standpoint Ruiz going to a national league team in a trade would be a good thing for me and might justify his $15 salary. From a Padre fan perspective it would be fun seeing some speed on the base paths, something that has been sorely missing this year. Boy, would he look good in a Nats uniform :-)
          I hope you get to see that soon
          If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I hope you get to see that soon
            I have a feeling he will.

Comment

• Drury's first swing in San Diego? Grand slam of course.

Comment

• SD has their 2nd highest attendance/game in their history, averaging 36,500/gm

Comment

• Tatis has started his rehab assignment. His return is being left up to Tatis himself.

Odds are, he'll be back next week sometime.

Suarez has returned and Pomeranz should be back soon as well.

Adams is out for the season though Pierce Johnson is on track to return this month. Stammen is out until Sept.

Batten will be sent down when Fernando returns. Wilson was already optioned.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Padres take a flyer on either Jackie Bradley or Franmil if either one dropped to them. They need another true CF on the roster (Bradley) and I know management still has a fondness for Reyes. If either happens, Mazara would be sent down.

Now all they have to do is avoid the 2nd half collapse of a year ago and the playoffs seem like a real possibility.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Now all they have to do is avoid the 2nd half collapse of a year ago and the playoffs seem like a real possibility.
                    I would hope so. After completely selling off the farm, missing the playoffs this year would be an epic catastrophe. (which admittedly I'm rooting for)

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                      I would hope so. After completely selling off the farm, missing the playoffs this year would be an epic catastrophe. (which admittedly I'm rooting for)
                      I'm sure you're not alone, lol.

I'm much more optimistic than I'm letting on--don't want to jinx it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• I hear all the time how some teams (and their fans) feel cursed. The Padres make you feel the same way at times. They add Hader, Soto, Bell and Drury. Soto has continued his elite OBP, but has 1 HR and 3 RBI. Drury, though he has hit 3 HR is batting .204 with a .267 OBP, Bell .125/.258 No HRs and Hader---Well he's blown 2 saves and looked horrible. Now I get it, some guys need time to acclimate and I believe they will. But then add the fact Tatis screwed things up depriving the team of an elite bat for the stretch run and then Last night almost catastrophic event---Blake Snell was almost hit and killed by a drunk driver while being pulled over for speeding after the game--The drunk plowed into the cop car and Snell's car smashing them both up. the fact they were both out of the car and away from the traffic side prevented things from being a tragedy.

Snell starts tonight, has been on that roll he got on last summer--It will be interesting to see how he pitches as he's one of those 'I need my Chi to be just right' kind of guys and last night's close call is just the kind of thing that could thrown h9im all out of whack.

Curse or no curse, this team needs to play better ball, make better on field decisions and play to the level of their talent if they want to make the playoffs, let alone go deep into Oct.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• I hear you, GITH, though it doesn’t seem like a curse. Soto is incredible but the rest are very mortal. Hader was dominant but showed cracks before the trade. Hell stinks and has since his one fluky year. Snell is crazy erratic; I’m more surprised he was good this year. Drury however was a great acquisition and has real upside.

Comment

• Hader.....WTF?

Don't count on him being run out there in high leverage situations for a while.
                            L Garcia or R Suarez look to take that role for the next few games. Maybe drew when he returns, but Hader is reminding me of Steve Sax right now.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Hader.....WTF?

Don't count on him being run out there in high leverage situations for a while.
                              L Garcia or R Suarez look to take that role for the next few games. Maybe drew when he returns, but Hader is reminding me of Steve Sax right now.
                              Hader looks like he is still trying to secure that final wild card spot for the Brewers. I think i may have to bench him. At this point, if he goes to the IL or takes a leave of absence to get his head straight, i may have to cut him since i have him on an expiring contract.
                              “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
                                Hader looks like he is still trying to secure that final wild card spot for the Brewers. I think i may have to bench him. At this point, if he goes to the IL or takes a leave of absence to get his head straight, i may have to cut him since i have him on an expiring contract.
                                I should have sold high like the Brewers.
                                “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                                X