2K24: San Diego Padres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
    Antonio Alfonseca might be able to give you a hand with that.
    Or perhaps 1.2 hands
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    ---------------------------------------------
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
      Dude, you just posted a video from some nutbag (apologies, Mr. Haniger) talking about how the vaccines are governmental genocide and......I'm the one with dangerous thinking? Lol, no. And suffice to say that private enterprise most certainly can mandate vaccinations of its employees, thank god. These things don't occur in a vacuum - we live in a society among other people and the foolish "concerns" of those railing on about genocide and refusing to vaccinate have real world consequences for those who never subscribed to their conspiratorial nonsense in the first place. It's like people that are "concerned" about wearing seatbelts and refuse to do so --- which is stupid, but generally fine --- except their refusal to wear seatbelts causes other, normal people to have their own seatbelts fly off. And actually poses a risk to the most vulnerable, sick, elderly, very young, and others that they might also get injured because of the initial seatbelt denier. There are consequences for conspiratorial "concerns" when public health is at issue.
      I posted the video as an illustration of the thinking that’s going around. But ostracizing a segment of the population that’s concerned about taking the vaccine is definitely dangerous. Now I agree that if you don’t take it, you should use other mitigation measures (masking, social distancing, etc.). But this is a lot different from refusing to wear a seat belt. How many drugs are found to have harmful side effects years later? How many drugs come with a long list of disclaimers regarding side effects they may cause? The vaccines are issued under EUA…which means the full testing procedure has not been completed. As a society, we don’t fully understand why COVID-19 causes death in certain people with underlying health conditions, and in some people without underlying conditions. There is a lot the medical community is still learning about the nature of this coronavirus. So I can respect that not everyone who has concerns about the vaccine is an irrational, politically motivated nutjob.
      2021 Auction Anatomy
      2021 Keeper Decisions
      2020 Auction Anatomy
      2020 Pre-Auction
      2015 Auction Anatomy
      2014 Auction Anatomy
      2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
      RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

Comment

• Originally posted by ThatRogue View Post
        I posted the video as an illustration of the thinking that’s going around. But ostracizing a segment of the population that’s concerned about taking the vaccine is definitely dangerous. Now I agree that if you don’t take it, you should use other mitigation measures (masking, social distancing, etc.). But this is a lot different from refusing to wear a seat belt. How many drugs are found to have harmful side effects years later? How many drugs come with a long list of disclaimers regarding side effects they may cause? The vaccines are issued under EUA…which means the full testing procedure has not been completed. As a society, we don’t fully understand why COVID-19 causes death in certain people with underlying health conditions, and in some people without underlying conditions. There is a lot the medical community is still learning about the nature of this coronavirus. So I can respect that not everyone who has concerns about the vaccine is an irrational, politically motivated nutjob.
        I agree, but I also think, ultimately, it comes down to very simple math--way, way, way more people are dying and getting sick of covid than of vaccines. If everyone gets vaccinated asap, it will end up saving millions of lives long term. Part of the social contract is taking the plunge on something that was tested as well as could be expected in the circumstances (part of the contract is also learning about developments in MRNA vaccinations that led to the fast development of these vaccines as well, which would go a long way in assuaging some fears). The numbers are not disputable here in the short term, and whatever, unknown, long term side effects of the vaccines, if there are any, are almost certainly orders of magnitude less severe than the overall impact of covid continuing to run rampant. And hoping everyone else gets vaccinated to get to herd immunity so you don't have to is unbelievably selfish, and an attitude that if shared by enough people ensures we never get there.

But I began with the I agree, because I do think some folks are quick to label anyone with any level of vaccine hesitancy as a conspiracy theorist, and that is not the right way to engage in dialogue on this. I talked to my mother-in-law about this for a long time, as she was hesitant, for many reasons, and she ultimately got the J and J shot, but not because I dismissed every concern she had as false or silly. Ultimately, doing it for the greater good and her grandchildren was the compelling argument. It is why I am getting my 2nd shot this weekend as well. I have always had concerns about anything I take...I don't even take aspirin. But vaccines are not just for me, they are for society, and they don't just protect me, they protect my family and those more vulnerable than me.

All that said, while I had zero hesitancy with getting my kids every vaccine they were due when they were do, I must admit, I am a little nervous about getting them the shots if/when it is their time, because you are right--sometimes something this new can have long term complications that are unanticipated. My kids are 3 and 6 years old, and when it comes to decisions I make for them, I want more information than is practical in this case, so I guess I feel a tiny bit of the hesitancy some feel for themselves for them. Especially since the personal risk/reward for kids that age is skewed--they are the least likely to get severely sick, so even small risks associated with vaccines are weighted differently for them, although the impact of them passing on the disease to the more vulnerable remains.

I will still get them vaccinated, once full FDA approval is there for their age group, but if all the adults got vaccinated and we had this thing totally beat down before full approval, I wouldn't be in any hurry to. Sadly, we won't get there with just adults though, so those of us with kids who believe in the obvious and overwhelming overall good of covid vaccination have to look at the data we have, and put the fears of the unknown aside for that greater good. Given the data we have so far, and it is a lot of data, getting vaccinated is really a no brainer. And before I had kids, I'd probably be less tolerant of the vaccine hesitant, but I can empathize to a degree with them, because of my kids. Maybe some folks love themselves as much as I love my kids, and that level of love can make you selfish and irrational.
        Last edited by Sour Masher; 05-13-2021, 11:04 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
          I agree, but I also think, ultimately, it comes down to very simple math--way, way, way more people are dying and getting sick of covid than of vaccines. If everyone gets vaccinated asap, it will end up saving millions of lives long term. Part of the social contract is taking the plunge on something that was tested as well as could be expected in the circumstances (part of the contract is also learning about developments in MRNA vaccinations that led to the fast development of these vaccines as well, which would go a long way in assuaging some fears). The numbers are not disputable here in the short term, and whatever, unknown, long term side effects of the vaccines, if there are any, are almost certainly orders of magnitude less severe than the overall impact of covid continuing to run rampant. And hoping everyone else gets vaccinated to get to herd immunity so you don't have to is unbelievably selfish, and an attitude that if shared by enough people ensures we never get there.

But I began with the I agree, because I do think some folks are quick to label anyone with any level of vaccine hesitancy as a conspiracy theorist, and that is not the right way to engage in dialogue on this. I talked to my mother-in-law about this for a long time, as she was hesitant, for many reasons, and she ultimately got the J and J shot, but not because I dismissed every concern she had as false or silly. Ultimately, doing it for the greater good and her grandchildren was the compelling argument. It is why I am getting my 2nd shot this weekend as well. I have always had concerns about anything I take...I don't even take aspirin. But vaccines are not just for me, they are for society, and they don't just protect me, they protect my family and those more vulnerable than me.

All that said, while I had zero hesitancy with getting my kids every vaccine they were due when they were do, I must admit, I am a little nervous about getting them the shots if/when it is their time, because you are right--sometimes something this new can have long term complications that are unanticipated. My kids are 3 and 6 years old, and when it comes to decisions I make for them, I want more information than is practical in this case, so I guess I feel a tiny bit of the hesitancy some feel for themselves for them. Especially since the personal risk/reward for kids that age is skewed--they are the least likely to get severely sick, so even small risks associated with vaccines are weighted differently for them, although the impact of them passing on the disease to the more vulnerable remains.

I will still get them vaccinated, once full FDA approval is there for their age group, but if all the adults got vaccinated and we had this thing totally beat down before full approval, I wouldn't be in any hurry to. Sadly, we won't get there with just adults though, so those of us with kids who believe in the obvious and overwhelming overall good of covid vaccination have to look at the data we have, and put the fears of the unknown aside for that greater good. Given the data we have so far, and it is a lot of data, getting vaccinated is really a no brainer. And before I had kids, I'd probably be less tolerant of the vaccine hesitant, but I can empathize to a degree with them, because of my kids. Maybe some folks love themselves as much as I love my kids, and that level of love can make you selfish and irrational.
          I agree with this point of view, almost wholeheartedly. I raise my eyebrow at the last statement though, because you may have parents in a similar circumstance as you, who are concerned about taking the vaccine and putting themselves at risk while their children are so young. I’m not sure I’d label them as selfish and irrational.
          2021 Auction Anatomy
          2021 Keeper Decisions
          2020 Auction Anatomy
          2020 Pre-Auction
          2015 Auction Anatomy
          2014 Auction Anatomy
          2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
          RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

Comment

I agree with this point of view, almost wholeheartedly. I raise my eyebrow at the last statement though, because you may have parents in a similar circumstance as you, who are concerned about taking the vaccine and putting themselves at risk while their children are so young. I’m not sure I’d label them as selfish and irrational.
            I get parents not wanting to put their kids at risk, but the rationale of a parent not wanting to vaccinate themselves, because they fear not being there for their kids is completely undercut by the numbers--it is much riskier for a parent to not get vaccinated. Of course, there may be another issue at play here besides selfishness--arrogance. I admit to feeling that too. Part of me feels I have dodged COVID this long, I can continue to do so if I am careful. If you think your chances of getting COVID are smaller than your chances of developing complications from a vaccine, than that can give you pause, but in most cases, it is based on flawed math, at least for now. And it also ignores the risks of getting covid, bringing it into the house, and the compounded risk factors of the rest of the family getting it. So, overall, I can't really appreciate anyone making the case they do not want to get vaccinated because they are a parent. If they feel there is any short term risk with J and J, they can take one of the other ones. No matter which they choose, the math is overwhelmingly in favor of them getting vaccinated if they want to be there for their kids/family, in just about every case (I'm allowing for shut ins that work from home and rarely or ever leave the house having next to no risk of bringing covid into the house).
            Last edited by Sour Masher; 05-13-2021, 11:57 PM.

Comment

you may have parents in a similar circumstance as you, who are concerned about taking the vaccine and putting themselves at risk while their children are so young. I’m not sure I’d label them as selfish and irrational.
              I might understand this early on, but we have enough data now to show that the risk of dying due to covid, as a result of *not* being vaccinated, is much higher than any vaccine related risks. So at that point it becomes irrational to take that stance.

It's also an extremely selfish stance. For those who don't want to take the vaccine what is their proposal for the rest of the world? Just let people continue dying? If you have different ideas I'm all ears, but I've yet to hear a "plan" from the anti-vax people other than "I'll let everyone else take the risk so that my risk of covid goes down", which is about the most selfish thing I've ever heard of.

Comment

• Guys...hey I get - it there was a covid outbreak on the Padres, but there is a thread for this stuff in another place. I come to this thread to read and chat about baseball players not read manifestos about vaccination.

All "Hot Button" Topics -- politics, race relations, Donald Trump, Hillary Clinton, etc. in here!
                Last edited by Pauly; 05-14-2021, 12:23 PM.

Comment

• Padres lose 4 starters to CV19 and have so far held their own. 2 of 3 in Colorado and took first game of a set from the Cardinals. Resilience.

Comment

Yeah Robot Umps can't get here soon enough.
                    ^this.
                    "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

• Originally posted by FBP View Post
                      Padres lose 4 starters to CV19 and have so far held their own. 2 of 3 in Colorado and took first game of a set from the Cardinals. Resilience.
                      Sweep, .5 out of first with the Rockies coming in.......
                      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Profar and Mateo back tonight, Hosmer Wednesday.
                        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Hosmer and Tatis set to return Wednesday.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Hosmer and Tatis set to return Wednesday.
                              When is the real Pham gonna appear?

Do you know if Tatis will be baseball ready to go? has he been working out/scrimmaging somewhere? start him right away or give him some time to readjust?
                              Last edited by southcoast; 05-19-2021, 02:47 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by southcoast View Post
                                Do you know if Tatis will be baseball ready to go? has he been working out/scrimmaging somewhere? start him right away or give him some time to readjust?
                                I'd start Tatis if his arm fell off, and he had to swing one-handed using the arm that just fell off as a bat.
                                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Working...
                                X