2K24: San Diego Padres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by revo View Post
    Fernando Tatis will not undergo shoulder surgery this offseason.
    Will be very interesting to see where he gets picked in 2022. I'm not sure I have the stomach to take him #1 or #2.

Comment

So does this mean he will play OF instead of SS?

Comment

So, should we take the over or under on Tatis playing 120 games next year?
        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

I'm assuming this is a good sign, since this would be the time for surgery if they felt it was the best option.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
          Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
          Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

• Originally posted by virgonomic View Post
            I'm assuming this is a good sign, since this would be the time for surgery if they felt it was the best option.
            IMO it's a risk reward decision.

Surgery would be the more permanent solution but also the riskier one. There's a potential for limited mobility and/or strength.

Physical therapy is the less invasive path but it's more likely that the injury re-occurs.

Ultimately once a shoulder subluxates it's more prone to happen again, and his multiple injuries cannot be good.

I don't know that this is a "good sign" as much as an indication that they'd rather have 120 games of 90% Tatis than 150 of 70% Tatis (or 0 of Tatis).

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
              IMO it's a risk reward decision.

Surgery would be the more permanent solution but also the riskier one. There's a potential for limited mobility and/or strength.
              Good point - there is no guarantee that he would be 100% after surgery. I own him and Wander in a keep forever league (round 21/22) so I guess I need to enjoy him while he's healthy and already have his backup on the roster for when he isn't.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
              Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
              Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

• According to Dennis Lin and Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic, the Padres have interviewed Ozzie Guillén for their managerial vacancy. Guillen hasn't been an MLB manager since 2012.
                “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
                  According to Dennis Lin and Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic, the Padres have interviewed Ozzie Guillén for their managerial vacancy. Guillen hasn't been an MLB manager since 2012.
                  Is more drama the answer?

Comment

• Bob Melvin to leave the A’s and manage the Padres

Comment

Bob Melvin to leave the A’s and manage the Padres
                      With no compensation? Interesting.
                      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                        With no compensation? Interesting.
                        The Pirates had to give up catcher Manny Sanguillen and $100,000 to acquire manager Chuck Tanner from the A's way back in 1976.

It was only the second time in MLB history that a manager was part of a trade. In 1960, Indians manager Joe Gordon and Tigers manager Jimmie Dykes were traded for each other.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• I forgot about the money part, but boy, was I ticked when they sent Sanguillen. He was my favorite Pirate player.

But, yeah, I guess the A's gave permission for the Pads to interview Melvin and then to hire him with no compensation. Unless I'm having a senior moment and the A's didn't have another year on Melvin's contract.

Comment

• Long time no Post....

So back at it.

#1 The collapse of the Padres from contenders to embarrassment.

It all starts at the trading deadline, the Padre rumored to be getting Gallo and moving Hosmer and Hassell to the Rangers was the key in all the deadline drama. Preller brought in Fraizer to play 2nd thinking Hosmer would be gone and Cronenworth would move to 1st. Any seasoned fantasy manager will tell you--never make a conditional move if you don't have the first one DONE. But he did and when the NYY swept in and grabbed joey, the Padres were left with too many middle infielders and a sulking Hosmer. The fact they also lost out on Scherzer, Berrios, Bryant, Etc just added salt to the wound. Then Tatis goes down and upon return is consigned to the OF, he wasn't happy. Toss in a Manager who never stood up for his players, a coaching staff not all on the same page and injuries and losses mounting and it was a perfect storm that sunk the team--that 17 game winning streak by the Cards just served as a daily reminder of No Chance buys, see you next year. It was sad, it was embarrassing, it was humbling. It won't ever happen again.

#2 Padres Hot stove to date.

Complete overhaul of the coaching staff. Melvin was a brilliant get, complete surprise and if he can do half of what he did in Oakland, the Padres should be very good next season and beyond. Niebla was another great get, developing stud after stud in Cleveland even turning around a couple ex Padres. His hire gives me hope that Gore can regain form. Brdar comes with some buzz, but I've no idea if he'll be a positive with the team. He can't do any worse than the past few hitting coaches the Padres have had so...we'll see. Cervelli replace Barajas and I'm sure there will be other hires before ST. (The just added Ryan Christenson to be Melvins bench coach)

To date, they haven't done anything splashy. Fraizer traded, lots of RPs let go, Pham, Melancon and others to FA. Nothing big. Frazer's trade clears up the IF issue they had after he came over at the deadline plus adds some money to play with. the BP should be just as strong if not stronger than last season, with depth. That's a good thing because last season the padres led MLB in 2 things, BP innings and games lost to injury--not the categories you want to be #1 in come years end. Yes, I know TB led the league, but they don't count as they only allow their starters to go twice through the lineup. Adding Garcia and Suarez is a good start. Look for Kopp (last year's draft) and Kerr (Fraizer trade) to get a long look in ST. I'm pretty sure they're not done adding potential arms to the roster and which one might be their closer is far from decided. Alfaro was a speculative add in case they deal one of their catchers, and they will. Martinez (not official) adds depth to the rotation which saw guys like Vince Velasquez and Jake Arrietta getting starts (sadly) I'm sure there will be more arms added prior to ST, but I don't see a big splashy name heading to SD before ST.

What I see potentially happening--One of or both, Hosmer/Myers will be dealt. Padres WILL add a splashy bat or two through FA/ Trades. If the DH comes to the NL, even better. They absolutely have to add an OF and I'm hearing they are in on Castellanos and Bryant. Nelson Cruz is always Preller's fallback. An interesting trade has been rumored--Myers and one of the catchers to Boston for JBJ. JBJ would be a bench guy and the deal would clear more money for FA. Hosmer still has to go, not sure how they'll do it--but I really don't see him a Padre in 2021 no matter what the team says publicly.

Well, that's all I got right now--hope you have something to do during the downtime from baseball (damn you Manfred!!)

Have a great holiday, more news as I get it.
                            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                              Well, that's all I got right now--hope you have something to do during the downtime from baseball (damn you Manfred!!)
                              Manfred screws up life for everyone.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                                Long time no Post....

So back at it.
                                Welcome back. Love your insight and passion with your team.

Comment

Working...
                                X