network cables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• network cables

Both rjel girl and I are working from home. We want separate offices (I like to listen to music and am a slob, she likes to yell and curse out inanimate objects). We have wired network coming into one room. For speed and gaming i would Like a wired connection in the other room too. I was thinking I could run network cable up one wall, through the attic and down the wall of the other room. I would put a network Jack plate on each wall, then plug one of the lines from my router into one and my computer into the other in the other room. Aside from it being 6 bazillion degrees in my attic when I fish the wire is there anything wrong with this plan? Seems like basic electricity but maybe I don't understand something.
    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Can't you just use the house / apartment's internal power outlets to rout the connection other rooms? The equipment is pretty cheap these days .... I had one of these set ups about 5 years back.

Found this:

From Amazon:

Comment

nothing wrong with the plan ... it's pretty straightforward. This is how my tv signal travels too ... no coax cables anymore. while there are other options I find direct rj45 to still be the most reliable. Never tried the powerline stuff though.

edit: after reading through the reviews maybe you should try the powerline product ... here's my favourite quote from them ... "Digital unicorns flew out of my daughter's Tumblr feed at the speed of 30mbps, and she no longer things I'm a moron."
      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

thanks. I'll give it a shot and see. some people seem to have trouble with it and others it seems to work wonderfully for.

At worst it delays my needing to get into the attic while it's 100+ (outside) here.

Comment

no reason to go up the wall, through the attic, etc. just run cat 6 straight through the wall, with an fixture/outlet for the wiring on either side of the wall. i'm assuming it's just drywall, so it should be almost trivial to cut the holes you need and put in the fixtures.

i've never liked running internet over power - really depends strongly on the quality of the wiring in your house, and can be susceptible to all sorts of interference, which depends on what devices you have plugged in elsewhere.
          "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Originally posted by bryanbutler View Post
            no reason to go up the wall, through the attic, etc. just run cat 6 straight through the wall, with an fixture/outlet for the wiring on either side of the wall. i'm assuming it's just drywall, so it should be almost trivial to cut the holes you need and put in the fixtures.

i've never liked running internet over power - really depends strongly on the quality of the wiring in your house, and can be susceptible to all sorts of interference, which depends on what devices you have plugged in elsewhere.
            There's a room in between the two offices so I can't just punch straight through the wall

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
              There's a room in between the two offices so I can't just punch straight through the wall
              oh, heh, i misinterpreted. still, you could run the cable along the floor-wall joint of the intervening room, right?
              "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

So I went with the through the outlets stuff and it works well enough to the point that I'm thinking of getting another. Right now my TV is on my wireless but watching stuff on Netflix is sketchy. I'd like the additional speed of being hard wired but the tv doesn't have a network port. Is there some kind of adaptor that would go from a network Jack to anything in my tv? The tv is new so it has pretty much everything that is standard these days

Comment

if it's a smart tv it should have a network jack. Otherwise you'd need an appliance/settop device (e.g. appletv, roku, etc) to provide an interface on your tv.
                  It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

You're so right. Never mind

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                      You're so right. Never mind
                      He's Canadian :shrug:

Comment

Working...
                      X