No announcement yet.

*** 1970's Album Draft - Draft Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 24th round Coal Minor's Daughter - Loretta Lynn (1971)

Loretta Lynn is a country music legend and this was her masterpiece.

I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• All this talk of Jamaican Ska/Reggae yesterday got me going back to listen to this great group (Featuring the legendary Lee "Scratch" Perry)

23.08 Clint Eastwood - The Upsetters (1970)

Comment

• What can I say, I'm a sucker for 70's girl punk...

24.08 The Slits - Cut (1979)

Comment

• 1 Overkill <--- On deck for 3 picks
          2 Chancellor <--- Up for 2 picks
          3 Buckybuckner picked
          4 Lucky <--- skipped
          5 Revo picked
          6 Friarfan picked
          7 Johnny picked
          8 Stephen picked
          9 Mancalledfoot picked
          10 Erik picked
          11 Eldiablo <--- skipped twice
          12 Grinch picked
          13 DMT picked
          Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
          We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Sorry for being late...as with Lucky, I got a surprise promotion today that required a marathon session with my new boss.

I promised Christian rock...but even elD might like these guys a little. Wikipedia says "A groundbreaking release by Christian music standards at the time, the album caused considerable controversy among Christian music critics, many of whom found fault with everything from its album cover art to its heavy rock sounds,[citation needed] which are clearly influenced by Led Zeppelin. No Christian record label in the United States or Great Britain would agree to distribute the album." I lived it, so I really know what "considerable controversy" means. My predecessor at the AOR station I worked at during my late college days thought this was a great LP, and featured it on his show, and ended up taking so much heat he quit. I inherited some of his work (primarily since I was one of the few willing to get up and take 6 AM shifts), and created a contemporary Christian music show on Sunday mornings. My response to negative feedback was to create a specific hour using this band's motto "Music to raise the dead".

21st round, I think, pick 1: Awaiting Your Reply - Resurrection Band (1978)

I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• I'll go for my second rock opera for my second pick, despite Andrew Lloyd Webber's theological failings.

The album is far, far superior to any of the show stuff.

21st round, I think, pick 2: Jesus Christ Superstar Album (1970)

My favorite cut:

I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Time to squeeze in some Stones:

23rd round Goats Head Soup - The Rolling Stones (1973)

I think this one's unfairly compared to its predecessor (Exile) because it's got a great set of songs including some of their best use of keyboards ("Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)" and "100 Years Ago"), a couple underrated rockers ("Star Star" and "Silver Train"), and the immortal "Angie".

Comment

• 24th round Surf's Up - The Beach Boys (1971)

Can't let this whole thing scroll by without at least one Beach Boys album! Admittedly, I didn't even realize they made music in the 70's until "Feel Flows" played during the end credits of Almost Famous and I wasn't all that impressed with this album as a whole, but there's still some quality material here.

Comment

• My well's pretty much run dry, might as well get another hard rock giant on my roster:

25th round Deep Purple in Rock - Deep Purple (1970)

Just a bruising set of songs here, none of the radio hits you'll find on Machine Head. Doesn't mean the songwriting is weak though, as the 10-minute epic "Child in Time" will attest (not sure you'll find better falsetto screams this early in metal's history).

Comment

• This was a tough choice. I already had 2 songs from Burnin' on my live pick, so it was a flip between the other 2 Wailers releases: Catch a Fire and The Best of the Wailers. I really like the later because of the early Wailers DIY sound. This is not a compilation as the title suggests. Recorded between 69 & 70, and released in 1971, it contains the original Wailers line-up of Marley, Peter Tosh and Bunny Wailer. Wailer left in 73 and Tosh in 74. None of the official Bob Marley and the Wailers albums feature the 3 original Wailers, only Tosh appears on Catch A Fire. With Wailer and Tosh departing, Marley couldn't keep "The Wailers" name, so he became known as "Bob Marley and the Wailers".

But Catch A Fire is amazing ... and contains my favourite Wailers song, "Stir It Up".

EDIT: Friarfan already picked Catch A Fire, so I'll go with:

25.07 The Best of the Wailers - The Wailers (1971)

Last edited by johnnya24; 01-25-2014, 08:01 PM.

Comment

• 25th round Can't Stand the Rezillos - The Rezillos (1978)

I can't believe I forgot about this album but for some reason I thought someone drafted it but I couldn't find it on the first page. Pretty classic punk rock album.

I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• 25.08 Chicago - Original Broadway Cast Album (1975)

Chita Rivera, Gwen Verdon and Jerry Orbach? Broadway royalty!

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                            This was a tough choice. I already had 2 songs from Burnin' on my live pick, so it was a flip between the other 2 Wailers releases: Catch a Fire and The Best of the Wailers. I really like the later because of the early Wailers DIY sound. This is not a compilation as the title suggests. Recorded between 69 & 70, and released in 1971, it contains the original Wailers line-up of Marley, Peter Tosh and Bunny Wailer. Wailer left in 73 and Tosh in 74. None of the official Bob Marley and the Wailers albums feature the 3 original Wailers, only Tosh appears on Catch A Fire. With Wailer and Tosh departing, Marley couldn't keep "The Wailers" name, so he became known as "Bob Marley and the Wailers".

But Catch A Fire is amazing ... and contains my favourite Wailers song, "Stir It Up".

[B]25.07 Catch A Fire - The Wailers (1971)[/e>
                            It is a great album....that's why I took it several rounds ago

Comment

• 26th Round: "Hair of the Dog," Nazareth (1976)

Comment

• 25th round - Mandrill Is - Mandrill (1972)

You've heard me tout Mandrill before; I took them in the Festival draft and their signature song, "Fencewalk," in the soul/funk/R&B draft. Like Santana and War, they were a large, multi-racial band that would try anything and everything and usually pulled it off. Their amazing live performances were always a bigger draw than their records, which were often so diverse as to be schizophrenic. (In the early years, all seven members split songwriting and vocals; by the mid-70s, the Wilson brothers, Carlos, Lou and Ric, had taken over creative direction of the band.) Their most coherent, consistent and high-quality album was their second, Mandrill Is. The first five songs are killer: The exuberant, hard-driving funk singles "Ape Is High" and "Get It All," the breezy Latin instrumental "Coehlo," the darkly churning "Children of the Sun" and the should-have-been-a-hit soul ballad "I Refuse to Smile." (Not surprisingly, all five appear on their greatest hits album.) For the most part it's not too much of a step down from there: Guitarist Omar Mesa's contributions, "Central Park" and "The Sun Must Go Down," evoke a freakier, more swinging Chicago; the Wilsons' "Here Today Gone Tomorrow" was the heaviest track they ever did, and keyboardist Claude Cave's funk instrumental "Kofijahm" was another winner.

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                                We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Working...
                                X