No announcement yet.

*** 1970's Album Draft - Draft Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You guys can skip me for now. I'll make my next pick about 7:30 (pacific) tomorrow morning

Comment

• Not my live pick. This was an improvised classical/jazz piece that was recorded live.

Also, apparently, became the best selling solo jazz record in history, and best selling piano record of all time. I'd never even heard of it or Keith Jarrett before 1999. Another record my ex introduced me to ...

More classical improvisation than jazz if you ask me, but still amazing.

13.09 The Köln Concert - Keith Jarrett

Comment

• Am I mistaken that this is still available? With all of the KISS love that is in here, I thought this was sure to go. I know that Alive II is widely considered as the better album, but this was the one that brought KISS to the masses. Their first three albums did not hit big and, while they weren't really floundering in obscurity or anything, it wasn't until Alive came out that they became the huge machine they are.

I'm not traditionally a "classic" hard rock fan, so while I respect the Zeps and the Floyds and the Whos of the world it really wasn't what I gravitated towards - except for a short time in my early 20's when I went through my hard rock phase. A good friend/roommate of mine from that time period was a HUUUUUGE KISS fan and I was inundated with KISS for about 2 years when we lived together.

With that said...

13.07 Alive! - KISS (1975)

Comment

• 13.10 - Dire Straits - Dire Straits (1978)

No need to post Sultans Of Swing, which classic rock radio has indelibly burned into all our brains. Too bad they didn't have enough imagination to play other cuts, like...

Down To The Waterline:

Water Of Love:

Last edited by senorsheep; 01-14-2014, 11:38 AM.
          "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
          "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
          "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• 13.07......Soundtrack from "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" (1975)

Either you're a fan or you ain't. The girls in my dorm were big into this album my freshman year. Overall it's a very fun album. Time Warp, Dammit Janet and Hot Patootie are the bigger songs.

Comment

• No waiting if you are up ... just press on.

Stephen UP until 2pm EST

Swampdragon On Deck Until 2pm EST

Comment

• 13.11 Free To Be You and Me - Margo Thomas and Friends (1972)

This is one that we've been introducing to my son lately and it's a staple for young kids. It's a great message that still rings true and has some cute songs for kids that get stuck in your head.

Comment

• 13.12 - Labour of Lust - Nick Lowe (1979)

more new wave pop

S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y nignt!

Comment

• Foot up
                    Erik on deck
                    Eldiablo in the hole
                    Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• 13.13 Seventh Sojourn - The Moody Blues (1972)

My favorite of their 'classic seven', the Moodies seem to get a bum rap nowadays, even from prog fans. They were just too damn nice, too earnest, too spiritual for such a cynical age as ours. I still a have soft spot for their hopeless romanticism, especially when it's as beautiful as this one:

But even they admitted they didn't have the answer; at the close of this LP -- marking the end of their era -- they admit they were just singers in a rock 'n' roll band, what the hell did they know?
                      Last edited by ManCalledFoot; 01-14-2014, 02:26 PM.
                      One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

• I have no punk or proto-punk on my roster, so here's something sort of related to that.

13.14 High Time - MC5 (1971)

This is the MC5s most representative and best album. Not as wild as their first record nor as restrained as their second, High Time is a highly satisfying middle ground. Full of great fury and great ambition, the record starts pedal-to-the-metal and never lets up.

Comment

• Grinch up
                          Pogues on deck
                          DMT in the hole

Comment

• 13.16 Chicago - Chicago (1970)
                            (aka Chicago II, as the first was Chicago Transit Authority and the next was Chicago III)
                            A little Jazz, a little soul, a little funk. Reminds me of my youth, the first 'big venue' concert I ever went to.

Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

• 13.17 The Scream - Siouxsie and the Banshees (1978)

I'm getting my Siouxsie album this draft, damnit. Hard to find their stuff from the album on YouTube...here's a couple songs.

Last edited by Pogues; 01-14-2014, 08:50 PM.
                              Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• I took the song very late in the song draft, so I'm not too surprised this fell far.

13.18 Imagine - John Lennon (1971)

If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Working...
                                X