No announcement yet.

*** 1970's Album Draft - Draft Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 11.16 Joe's Garage - Frank Zappa (1979)

Wide variety of opinions of his talent. Have at it!
    Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

• 11.17 Rocket to Russia - Ramones (1977)

Obviously we don't have enough punk fans in this draft...I can't believe this album is STILL around at the end of the 11th round. I feel like a turd for not taking it earlier...a big steaming rhino turd. Some classics on this album: Cretin Hop, Rockaway Beach, Sheena is a Punk Rocker, Teenage Lobotomy, We're a Happy Family and two cool covers Do You Wanna Dance? (Beach Boys) and Surfin' Bird (The Trashmen). The album is so great the entire thing was covered by The Queers 17 years later!

I can't find the album on YouTube...blasphemy! Here's a few songs:

Beach Boys hit:
      Last edited by Pogues; 01-11-2014, 10:01 PM.
      Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• I'm guessing at least three people were looking at this one, but Chance's pick was unexpected, so not going to wait any longer. This is my favorite Miles album so I'm happy to get it in round 11.

11.18 A Tribute to Jack Johnson - Miles Davis (1970)

If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• 12.01 Muswell Hillbillies - The Kinks (1971)

If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• 12.02 Prince - Prince (1979)

I figured I better grab this one before El Diablo, Bucky, or Friar Fan steal it off my list. (HA!) I picked this LP up at a yard sale many a years ago...so long ago it opened my eyes to the fact that 1999 was not Prince's first album. The cover is a little disconcerting, but I overlooked that to listen to some great early Prince.

The album was written, produced, and performed entirely by Prince. That either proves he was a tremendous talent even in his early years, or no one wanted to work with him! Some of my favorites are I Wanna Be Your Lover, Why You Wanna Treat Me So Bad? and I Feel For You.

Let's pretend that there are some videos on YouTube for you to listen...but you choose not to do so because you just don't like the little man.
            Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• 12.03 We're an American Band -Grand Funk Railroad (1973)

"Black Licorice"
              Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

• Time for some prog.

12.05 Fragile - Yes (1971 UK, 1972 US)

One of two albums by what IMO was Yes's most talented and best lineup -- Jon Anderson, Steve Howe, Chris Squire, Rick Wakeman and Bill Bruford. You probably know their hit single and signature song, "Roundabout." The other three main pieces, "Heart of the Sunrise," "Long Distance Runaround" and "South Side of the Sky", are equally as awesome. The latter gets overlooked on classic rock radio but may be my favorite Yes song; Bruford's drumming on it is amazing, as are the vocal harmonies. The rest of the album is given over to brief "solo" pieces that range from awesome (Squire's bass instrumental "The Fish," which segues out of "Long Distance Runaround" and is often played in tandem with it) to unnecessary (Wakeman's Brahms pastiche.) It also gets the nod for being the best-produced album from this era of Yes; the transition between "We Have Heaven" and "South Side of the Sky" alone earns that distinction. There are all kinds of cool sonic touches throughout.

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Foot UP
                  Swamp
                  Stephen
                  Sheep

Comment

• 12.06 Bridge Of Sighs - Robin Trower (1974)

A bread-and butter staple of every tape deck and every garage band in the mid-70s. TURN IT UP. But no mentioning Jimi.
                    One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

• 12.07 - Sail Away - Randy Newman - (1972)

Interesting singer songwriter - not just the guy that wrote Short People and I love LA

He has had incredible success later in life (like now)

and here is a link to documentary about him http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KX73Cwx61U

Comment

• It's been way more than 5 hours (nearly 9) ... Sheep could have picked already, so I'll double skip to get this moving.

Would surely be regarded a lot more if it wasn't for Innervisions and Songs in the Key of Life

12.10 Talking Book - Stevie Wonder (1972)

"Blame In On The Sun" would be the biggest hit for most artists, but it's almost a forgotten album track for Stevie during his golden period.

Full Album:

Comment

• "I was saying let me out of here before I was even born, it's such a gamble when you get a face..."

Might be the most influential artist of the CBGB scene and to the Punk movement overall - even to the point where Malcolm McLaren took the spikey haire4d/safety pins in the clothes look from him and gave it to the Sex Pistols...

12.11 Blank Generation - Richard Hell and the Voidoids (1977)

Comment

• OK, here's my Bowie album...

12.09 - The Pleasure Principle - Gary Numan (1979)

Cool style piece, if you're positively inclined towards the detached, dehumanized, futuristic alien German synth thing.

The song you know:

Some good ones you may not know, if you've only ever heard the single:

Last edited by senorsheep; 01-13-2014, 11:13 AM.
                            "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                            "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                            "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• 12.12......"Bad Company," Bad Company (1974)
                              Release Date: June 26, 1974

Comment

• FOR LUCKY

12.13 Average White Band - Average White Band (1974)

(Will update with some clips later)

Comment

Working...
                                X