8 Johnny picked
    9 Stephen picked
    10 Mancalledfoot picked
    11 Erik <--- Up for 21.11 and 22.11
    12 Eldiablo <--- On Deck for 21.12 and 22.12
    13 Grinch <--- In the Hole for 21.13 and 22.13
    14 DMT

Comment

• 21.11 Fulfillingness' First Finale - Stevie Wonder (1974)

The last available of the Big Stevie albums of the decade (all four won the Album of the Year Grammy), FFF is more subdued than the others but has plenty of charm and memorable songs. The big hits were "You Haven't Done Nothin'," a rant against Richard Nixon that I took in the soul/funk/R&B draft, and "Boogie on Reggae Woman" (bonus points (or not) for being covered by Phish). But there are high points throughout; "Creepin'" is a perfect synthesis of message and music, and the vocal arrangements on "Smile Please" and "It Ain't No Use" are amazing.

The only Youtube file with the full album has Side 2 before Side 1 because the poster prefers it that way. This does make for an optimal opener (You Haven't Done Nothin') and closer (Creepin'), but overall I think the proper order is better (start in the middle if you want to hear it that way.)

Has there ever been a better consecutive streak for a particular placement of a song on an album by an artist than Side 2, Track 1 on Stevie Wonder albums in the '70s?

Talking Book -- Superstition
      Innervisions -- Higher Ground
      Fulfillingness' First Finale -- You Haven't Done Nothin'
      Songs in the Key of Life -- Sir Duke

Last edited by Erik; 01-23-2014, 09:49 AM.
      Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
      We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• 22.11 Live at Carnegie Hall - Bill Withers (1973)

One of the most enjoyable, uplifting live albums ever recorded. The band is tight and locked in and Withers is in amazing form both vocally and banter-wise. He comes out swinging immediately with an extended version of "Use Me" that takes the original to even greater heights, and never lets up from there. He reinterprets some of the songs from his first two albums but also throws in some stuff that never appeared on album, such as the tear-jerking "I Can't Write Left-Handed" and the anthemic non-album single "Let Us Love." But the coup de grace is the encore, "Harlem/Cold Baloney," which will have you on your feet and testifying, even if you're in your bedroom listening on headphones.

Comment

• 1 Mith <--- made 2 picks, needs 2 more: 21.01 and 22.02
          2 Overkill picked
          3 Chancellor picked
          4 Buckybuckner picked
          5 Lucky picked
          6 Revo picked
          7 Friarfan <---skipped
          8 Johnny picked
          9 Stephen picked
          10 Mancalledfoot picked
          11 Erik picked
          12 Eldiablo <--- skipped
          13 Grinch <--- Up
          14 DMT <--- On Deck

Comment

• 21st round
            Caress of Steel - Rush (1975)
            Just 'cause I know some of you want to hear more of Geddy Lee's fabulous voice!
            Bastille Day is a great song!
            Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

• 22nd round
              Marshall Tucker Band - Marshall Tucker Band (1975)
              Southern Rock hasn't gotten much love, but the opening song on this album is one of my favorites. I had a buddy who would drum along with this song all the time....he never found anyone to play guitar though....

Comment

2 Overkill
                3 Chancellor
                4 Buckybuckner
                5 Lucky
                6 Revo
                7 Friarfan <---skipped
                8 Johnny
                9 Stephen
                10 Mancalledfoot
                11 Erik
                12 Eldiablo <--- skipped
                13 Grinch <--- On Deck
                14 DMT <--- Up for 4 picks

Comment

• Don't really understand why the Dead inspire such vitriol among this crowd, but Jerry had many side projects and this bluegrass outfit, with David Grisman, Peter Rowan, John Kahn, and Vassar Clements, is one of my favorites.

21.15 Old & In the Way - Old & In the Way

If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                  - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• The bridge from punk-postpunk to new wave...

Once I hear Are 'Friends' Electric? I can't get it out of my head for days - and in a good way. Great tune.

21.07 Replicas - Tubeway Army (1979)

Comment

• More post-punk new wavey goodness. Surprised this one's still here as well. Not their best album (since more of their work was in the 80's) but still some awesome tracks - Steve West (influential DJ/programmer for the alternative radio station 91X here in SoCal) named his internet radio station "Radio Nigel" after "Making Plans for Nigel"...

22.07 Drums and Wires - XTC (1979)

Comment

• My first post-'76 pick. I've never really been into the new wave or punk scenes. I do like a few but they're long gone. This would have been much higher if we had more Marley fans in the draft.

22.01 Survival - Bob Marley (1979)

If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                        - Terence McKenna

Comment

• I'll be shocked if anyone had heard of these guys before I picked them in some draft. I met at least a dozen Irish while traveling and sadly not a single one of them had heard of these guys. I couldn't find the entire album but at least it has my two favorite songs, both of which were on my wedding playlist. The uillean pipes are one of my favorite instruments. My comment on 'Rip the Calico' is second from the top.

23.15 Out of the Wind Into the Sun - The Bothy Band (1977)

- Terence McKenna

Comment

• 2nd only to Marley. This album is very hard to find but any reggae fans will be familiar with the big hits. If you're not familiar, enjoy!

24.01 Monkey Man - Toots & the Maytalls (1970)

- Terence McKenna

Comment

2 Overkill
                              3 Chancellor
                              4 Buckybuckner
                              5 Lucky
                              6 Revo
                              7 Friarfan
                              8 Johnny
                              9 Stephen
                              10 Mancalledfoot <--- In the Hole
                              11 Erik <--- On Deck
                              12 Eldiablo <--- skipped
                              13 Grinch <--- Up
                              14 DMT

Comment

• Skip me for now, I'll catch up a bit later

Comment

Working...
                                X