Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sheep's 30 minutes are up.

FOR JOHNNY

Continuing my protopunk purge - Television, Patti Smith, The Modern Lovers ... wouldn't be complete without:

10.10 Fun House - The Stooges (1970)

I expected Fun House to go pretty quickly after Raw Power ... not complaining.

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• The album where they went from a Jamaican dancehall ska band to a full-blown reggae act...

10.11 Bob Marley and the Wailers - Catch a Fire (1973)

Here's what they were like before...

Comment

• 10.12....."52nd Street," Billy Joel (1978)
        Release Date: October 13, 1978

My favorite Billy Joel album, this one usually falls behind Glass Houses and The Stranger in the public's eye. Besides the big hits ("Honesty", "Big Shot", "My Life"), this one had two songs that should've joined the rest of his big classic rock staples but haven't -- "Zanzibar" and "Stiletto." "Half a Mile Away" and "Rosalinda's Eyes" are also classics.

Comment

• FOR LUCKY

10.13 Closer To Home - Grand Funk Railroad (1970)

Last edited by johnnya24; 01-10-2014, 08:37 AM.

Comment

• 10.14 - There Goes Rhymin' Simon - Paul Simon (1973)

Kodachrome, American Tune, St. Judy's Comet, and of course Loves Me Like a Rock. What more can you ask for?

Comment

• 10.09 - Every Picture Tells A Story - Rod Stewart (1971)

Given the steaming pile of dung his career became from the late 70's onward, it's easy to forget this guy once made not only credible albums, but some very good ones. This is his great one. It sucks that he gave up making music like this to become a prancing disco fool.

The title track:

This is my second favorite Dylan cover ever, after All Along The Watchtower - a gorgeous version of Tomorrow Is A Long Time:

No need to post Maggie May, we've all heard it enough. This album is loaded - there isn't a weak track on it.

Seems Like A Long Time:

Reason To Believe:

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
              "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
              "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Chancellor UP
                Overkill
                Mith

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                  Chancellor UP
                  Overkill
                  Mith
                  I'm up, right?
                  I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                    I'm up, right?
                    i believe so....
                    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                      I'm up, right?
                      Yes, you are.

Comment

• 10.15 G.P. - Gram Parsons (1973)

This man was a legend for a brief period of time. He changed the sound of the Byrds released a country album out of the blue that I think is one of the greatest country albums ever recorded and then planted the seed for alt country and lived like a rock star with his good friend Keith Richards. But sadly, only one person can party like Keith Richards and that's Keith Richards so Gram Parsons died way too early. I think this is the first country album selected in this draft. Of course the 70s was a pretty bad decade for country music.

If you listen closely in a scene in the first season on The Wire you can hear this song while McNulty and Bunk are at a bar:

I can't find the full album, here's another great one:
                        I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• FOR OVERKILL

10.17 Electric Warrior - T Rex (1971)

Everyone knows "Bang a Gong (Get It On)" which is a fine song but ruined for me, but there are a bunch of other great songs with tons of swagger on this album.

Here's one that the Black Keys borrow from:

Comment

• 10.18 Little Queen - Heart (1977)

I am a huge fan of Heart..even the early-mid 80's MTV sound they perfected. I particularly enjoy the rock/acoustic dichotomy on this album. I saw them this past summer and they still sound excellent. Ann has amazing pipes!

The softer side:

"I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• The rocking side:

Comment

• 11.01 Desolation Boulevard - The Sweet (1974 Us Version)

"Fox on the Run" and "Ballroom Blitz" were justifiably the hits..both great slices of pure power pop excellence. But the album contained some other really good songs and it is so much fun to listen to. One of those albums where you can just feel the band having a good time.

Comment

Working...
                                X