Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody have any experience with a Chiropractor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody have any experience with a Chiropractor?

Never been myself and I only hear the two extremes -- it's amazing, or it doesn't work but they talk you into coming back and spending money for months before you realize it.

Figured someone here would have an experience to share.

thanks.

Jefe

I used to be a big chiropractor fan, but it seems that for no matter your issue -- bad back, cold, whatever -- they do the same adjustment. I had some bad lower back pain, and these adjustments usually didn't do anything for me. And then they do as you say, which is try to schedule you to come back for the next five or six weeks. It's like they all know how many times your insurance will allow you to use a chiropractor.

If I have bad back pain I'll go to them since I don't know where else to turn, but I can't say that it ever really worked. My mom swore by them when I was a kid, taking us there for every illness and she was convinced they cured anything.

Comment

It was recently discovered the up to 40% of chronic back pain could be caused by bacterial infections, and therefore curable using antibiotics.

Scientists hail medical breakthrough by which half a million UK sufferers could avoid major surgery and take antibiotics instead

Which would help explain why chiropracty would be completely ineffectual for certain conditions.

Comment

I sought treatment for the intense migraine i had back in March by going to my doctor who gave me some shots and pills which did nothing. Went to the ER for a CT Scan which came back with no negative results and they did nothing else. Went to the chiropractor as i started to think the headaches were caused by very very very tight neck muscles. After the first treatment and adjustment, migraine went away.

About two weeks ago my neck was feeling very tight again and i was on the verge of getting headaches. Went to chiropractor, no more headaches.

Just my experience.
        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

My wife feels they have helped her in the past with migraines, but I have to admit, I don't notice any difference in the frequency of migraines when she is seeing and not seeing a Chiro. I've had issues with my back off and on for almost 30 years, and I've never believed in chiropractors enough to go see one.
          Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

It's been hit-and-miss with me. I have been going for 9+ years. I recently started requesting "gentle" neck adjustments instead of the cracking (which feels good, but I worry about whether it's healthy).

The one thing I have found to be great is ART (Active Release Therapy). I've had a shoulder or elbow get tight and ART (range-of-motion exercises with pressure) gets rid of it.

I stopped seeing one "doctor" after several years because he built a new clinic and employed high-pressure sales tactics - he would only treat me if I bought a plan and agreed to come in at least every 2 weeks. That would have cost me $500 out of pocket in a benefit year. It was crazy. He let me walk which showed me what his priorities laid.

I've been happier with the couple I'm seeing now, however, they do seem to arbitrarily want patients to come back often.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
            Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
            Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Originally posted by virgonomic View Post
              I stopped seeing one "doctor" after several years because he built a new clinic and employed high-pressure sales tactics - he would only treat me if I bought a plan and agreed to come in at least every 2 weeks. That would have cost me $500 out of pocket in a benefit year. It was crazy. He let me walk which showed me what his priorities laid.
              About 5 years ago, my wife and I went into a new place on a deal...for a nominal amount they said they would check a few things (can't remember anymore) and lay out a treatment plan specific for our needs. I felt the same way as you did with this "doctor"...high-pressure sales. After the tactic went on for some time, I finally told my wife it was time for us to leave. When the doctor asked why I made the decision to leave and not get treatment I responded "If I wanted to be sold a steaming pile of crap, I'd just go to a sleazy used car sales lot."
              Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

My chiropractor has never once told me i "had" to come back. She tells me to come when i need to.
                "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

never been to a chiro, but over the past 6 months have been to physio for my lower back pain, and have gotten several very targetted muscel-strengthening exercises - when I do them regularly the back feels great; if I don't, after a few days I can feel my back starting to tighten up.

As my doctor once told me, most lower back injuries occur when the larger back & core muscles weaken & the smaller muscles & ligaments have to pick up the slack. Strengthen the larger muscles & most injuries become minor nuisances.
                  It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

I'm not quite as cynical as elD on chiropractors, but I'm still pretty cynical. I'd recommend reading the link elD provided, and also recommend reading through reference 117.

If you're still interested in proceeding, here's what I'd recommend:

1. Confirm with your doc that you have no issues that preclude chiro treatment. Or, you may find out, like my dad did, that your backbone is compromised and get it broken.
                    2. Per the link elD provided, read the part about chiros that "mix" treatments. Mrs. Chance has gone to one of those for a number of years for lower back pain and has had good success. Her chiro doesn't employ any of the high-pressure sales BS, and got her in touch with an athletic trainer to start a program of core-strengthening exercises.
                    3. Avoid reflexologists like the plague. They're the worst of the lot. By far.
                    4. Do not, under any circumstances, buy supplements from a chiro.
                    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Working...
                    X