Heading to a funeral today.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heading to a funeral today.......

So my ex-wife's father passed away on Monday. He had been sick for quite some time. Anyway, I have decided to go to the funeral. I havent seen my ex or any of her family in about 3 years now, and to be honest I am a bit nervous about going. When I left, to put it in the simplest terms - I was thought of as worse than Satan himself.

Keeping in mind that my in-laws at the time, lived with us for 20 years, I feel that I should go.

I dont want to be a distraction, so I am going to get there a bit before the funeral starts and sit towards the back and then head out.

Hopefully noone decides to rehash the last few years. If they want to, I will tell them that this isnt the time or the place for it.
    It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
    Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

If you don't go and pay your respects, you're a dick. If you do go and anyone gets upset, you're a dick. Tough spot, man - good luck.
    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
    "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
      Yeah, I think this is the right move. Good luck to you and condolences on your loss.
      +1. You're heart is in the right place. I'm sure somewhere your father-ex-law will appreciate it.
      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

you are making the right call, pay your respects, then get the hell out and try to get some closure on some issues, throw some dirt in the grave if you like, that always helped me get some closure when going to the funerals of old bitter relatives
        "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

I have no bitterness towards him. My only regret is when I moved out, I never really said goodbye.....
          It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Probably too late now. But, would it be better to send flowers with written condolences if your attendance will cause both you and your ex (and others) to be uncomfortable at the funeral?
            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Well I got there just before the funeral service started and left shortly after it was done. I saw my son before it started and gave him a hug.

Comment

It was good you were there.
                "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
                - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
                - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

I agree you are making the right move by going. Perhaps it will help thaw your relationship with your in-laws a little?
                  拖裤子,
                  放屁

Literally means "pulling your pants down to fart" which is a Chinese idiom for "wasted effort." Makes sense to me!

Comment

Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
                    Well I got there just before the funeral service started and left shortly after it was done. I saw my son before it started and gave him a hug.
                    Integrity can be defined many ways; one of them is doing the right thing even under difficult circumstances. It's evident to me that you're a man of integrity.
                    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Yes, you did the right thing and it doesn't matter how many or if anyone there realizes it. The right thing doesn't have to be approved by a jury, it just is.

and my condolences.....
                      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                        Integrity can be defined many ways; one of them is doing the right thing even under difficult circumstances. It's evident to me that you're a man of integrity.
                        Agreed.
                        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Working...
                        X