No announcement yet.

*** Post-1979 Album Draft - Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm with Sheep on Suede. I lost my passion for the band when they parted with Bernard Butler. How can you replace a guitarist like that? Saying that, their next record is the one that makes all the critics lists. My ex-flatmate was the worlds biggest Suede fan, but he was more of a Brett Anderson type (also a huge Morrissey fan, to the point of feeling he needed to defend all the shit that comes out of his mouth) ... so he loved all their stuff.

Animal Nitrate is one of my favourite songs of the 90's (link doesn't work on Sheeps post)

Last edited by johnnya24; 12-09-2013, 04:34 PM.

Comment

• people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

• I always thought Brett Anderson was just trying too hard to be epic/glam/legendary. I tried, but they never clicked with me.
        One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

• Regarding Sepultura - I did my due diligence and listened to that song. I would rather be shot in the nuts with a shotgun than do that again. But, hey, to each their own. I'm going to go take some Excedrin now.

While i do enjoy me some speed/death metal once in a while...they tend to sound too much alike to enjoy for any length of time (even more than rap music)....
          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
            Animal Nitrate is one of favourite songs of the 90's (link doesn't work on Sheeps post)
            Huh, the link works for me. Oh, well, then, bonus tracks!

Moving, for the Bernard Butler/ rock guitar fans:

And Sleeping Pills for the Brett Anderson/ wussy Brit menstruation fans (even though I say Bernard Butler ends up stealing this one, too):

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
            "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
            "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• I am doing my due diligence and listening to everything I haven't heard, or haven't heard in a long time. Except for utter pap I know I'll hate, like Amy Grant and Madonna - sorry, life's just too short...
              "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
              "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                Regarding Sepultura - I did my due diligence and listened to that song. I would rather be shot in the nuts with a shotgun than do that again. But, hey, to each their own. I'm going to go take some Excedrin now.

While i do enjoy me some speed/death metal once in a while...they tend to sound too much alike to enjoy for any length of time (even more than rap music)....
                I have Max Cavalera guesting on a record on my list ... not sure I'll have room for it though.

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
                  I am doing my due diligence and listening to everything I haven't heard, or haven't heard in a long time. Except for utter pap I know I'll hate, like Amy Grant and Madonna - sorry, life's just too short...
                  I was up to date around round 12/13 ... but I've fallen behind.

Haven't even updated the lists in a few days! :ducks:

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
                    I am doing my due diligence and listening to everything I haven't heard, or haven't heard in a long time. Except for utter pap I know I'll hate, like Amy Grant and Madonna - sorry, life's just too short...
                    I get the impression that some of you will just not enjoy pop music sung by females when the song is about romance/love, etc.... No mushy stuff for you!! Come back one year!!
                    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by ManCalledFoot View Post
                      You know, I almost put grunge in quotes when I wrote that, but c'mon... they were a long-haired, flannel-wearing rock band from Seattle in the early 90s. What else can they be described as?
                      They were loud, but not loud for the sake of loud. They got that way from raw power as opposed to distortion or other trickery. They also have a much more world-weary, old-soul vocalist than their contemporaries. I always thought of them as The Who with all vestiges of Brittania stripped out and replaced with the lumberjack-from-eastern Washington ethos.

I love Dust, but my second-favorite album of theirs is one from their SST days in the '80s.
                      Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                      We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Dust took four (!) years to make because Screaming Trees almost completely fell apart after Sweet Oblivion. Drugs, booze, infighting, exhaustion from constant touring, all of that. In fact, the first version of the album was completely scrapped (only "Witness" was salvaged for Dust and two other songs later appeared on a compilation) because they couldn't agree on anything and couldn't get their shit together.
                        Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                        We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
                          Wussy Brit Pop would be a good name for an 80s / 90s RJ music draft.

I am still doing my due diligence on each band posted and am trying to listen to at least one of each band's songs posted. Everyone else doing the same? Are all of you now diehard Sepultura fans? Perfect.

Sepultura, despite their lowbrow roots (they learned to play on garbage cans and the like in ghetto conditions in Brazil) became one of the true godfathers of metal. They moved on after the Cavalera brothers left the band and formed Soulfly. Soulfly is probably more accessible for you guys that don't like The Metal in its speediest forms. Max Cavalera, the singer and guitarist, has started a new band called Cavalera Conspiracy.

Here's a really entertaining video from CC. You guys will probably hate the music but the video is still awesome if you can handle The Metal.

Sepultura is my brother in law's favorite band, he made me drive him and his buddies to a show in SF when they wanted to get really wasted and were afraid to drive in SF some time in the 1990s, it was freaking loud outside of the show!
                          "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                            I get the impression that some of you will just not enjoy pop music sung by females when the song is about romance/love, etc.... No mushy stuff for you!! Come back one year!!
                            There are plenty of intelligent, passionate, artistic female love songs. I've just never heard one by Amy Grant.

Comment

• Nice pick, would have been pretty sad if Run-D.M.C. got a doughnut.
                              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Fuck it ... just updated the lists, and then it rejected the update because I had passed 50K characters. Not doing it again now.

I'll put the final rounds in the first post, and maybe Revo can copy paste it into the first pick post.

Comment

Working...
                                X