No announcement yet.

*** Post-1979 Album Draft - Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How come some of you can post more than one video per post and I can't?
    Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
      How come some of you can post more than one video per post and I can't?
      Copy paste the Youtube embed link.

Youtube Video > Share > Embed ... copy/pasta

Comment

• Originally posted by ManCalledFoot
        Wasn't it a fact that Kurt had more than a little to do with [Live Throught This]? I don't remember...
        Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
        Pretty sure that was just a malicious rumour. I think he may have been an influence because they were together at the time, but by the same token you could also say Love was an influence on In Utero. The same people wouldn't do that I'll bet
        Partially true. Cobain did suggest some lyrical tweaks after she wrote the original songs, and she did use them. You can see pretty plainly where it happened, if you read the lyric sheet and you know your Cobain. A narrative has evolved over the years that she was some sort of no-talent Yoko parasite feeding off of his lifeblood, and it's easy enough to believe, given her career collapse after he died. Bottom line, it's not true - Hole had earned a reputation among critics as an up-and-coming band before she ever got involved with him. She squandered her talent on drugs and empty celebrity, but Live Through This was legitimately her baby.
        "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
        "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
        "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Further kudos on the Social Distortion pick.
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Disintegration -- "Lovesong" was the first case of me being able to cast aside my annoyance with Robert Smith and like one of his songs. I still think it's probably their best album.

Jagged Little Pill -- As a regular listener of "modern rock" radio in the mid '90s, I am still totally burned out on this record.

13 Songs -- I like what I've heard of Fugazi, but as with some other artists picked, I couldn't tell you which songs are on which album.

Melt -- Is that what PG fans call this? (The first three albums didn't have official titles.) Anyway, I think it's his best. I remember hearing "Games without Frontiers" for the first time on the car radio when I was 9 and trying my damndest to figure out what the hell he was singing in the beginning -- I had no idea it was French. "She Song Frawn Tee Yuh? What does that mean?"

Last Splash -- I own this, but I haven't listened to it in years and didn't put it on my list, figuring it would be long gone before I ever got to considering it. As with most people, I got it because of "Cannonball," but the rest is fun too.

Social D -- I know who they are and what they do but I've not heard much of their stuff. I know they opened for Neil Young and Crazy Horse on the Weld tour, but by the time I arrived they were done. (I did catch a dreadful Sonic Youth set, though.)

Comment

Melt -- Is that what PG fans call this? (The first three albums didn't have official titles.) Anyway, I think it's his best. I remember hearing "Games without Frontiers" for the first time on the car radio when I was 9 and trying my damndest to figure out what the hell he was singing in the beginning -- I had no idea it was French. "She Song Frawn Tee Yuh? What does that mean?"
              Melty Face

Comment

• That's the only Peter Gabriel album I had on my list, a late-rounder at that, even though he's my old hero. I don't know... he just got a little more boring with each thing he did, and I didn't even buy his big smash hit one. There was a time around 1986 when I should have been proud that my old boys were kings of the world (Gabriel, Collins and Genesis themselves all hit #1 in the US), but I couldn't enjoy it because it was the worst shite they ever produced.
                One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

• Wow I'm really feeling the Social D love here. Though I love Cannonball, I didn't get the album until I heard Divine Hammer.
                  Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• Originally posted by ManCalledFoot View Post
                    That's the only Peter Gabriel album I had on my list, a late-rounder at that, even though he's my old hero. I don't know... he just got a little more boring with each thing he did, and I didn't even buy his big smash hit one. There was a time around 1986 when I should have been proud that my old boys were kings of the world (Gabriel, Collins and Genesis themselves all hit #1 in the US), but I couldn't enjoy it because it was the worst shite they ever produced.
                    The fucking 80's man ... I blame the affects of lead paint

Comment

• Originally posted by ManCalledFoot View Post
                      That's the only Peter Gabriel album I had on my list, a late-rounder at that, even though he's my old hero. I don't know... he just got a little more boring with each thing he did, and I didn't even buy his big smash hit one. There was a time around 1986 when I should have been proud that my old boys were kings of the world (Gabriel, Collins and Genesis themselves all hit #1 in the US), but I couldn't enjoy it because it was the worst shite they ever produced.
                      add Mike and The Mechanics to that pile...

cue FB with the American Psycho Genesis quote

Comment

• Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
                        add Mike and The Mechanics to that pile...
                        And Steve Hackett's GTR.

Comment

And Steve Hackett's GTR.
                          And Tony Banks' Bankstatement. Which was the worst name for a band. Ever.

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                          "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                          "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• I never heard Bankstatement. Given the lust by record companies and radio stations in the '80s for projects by current and former members of Genesis, Bankstatement must've been REALLY bad in order to get no commercial traction at all.

Comment

• Almost 80 picks in before our 1st Police pick, shocked!
                              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
                                Gah! Dammit... had that one all cued up. This record kicks the crap out of any Frank Black solo album. Well played, Mauer.
                                agree 100%, Frank needs the rest of them to do his best work
                                "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Working...
                                X