Recess ball ban in Long Island

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recess ball ban in Long Island

Sorry to link an article from Drudge but this is just asinine.

officials at Weber Middle School in Port Washington are worried that students are getting hurt during recess. Thus, they have instituted a ban on footballs, baseballs, lacrosse balls, or anything that might hurt someone on school grounds.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

And the wussification of future generations continues............
    It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
    Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Maybe they can have someone spoon feed them during lunch, so they don't choke or something. Probably should ban pens and pencils because they might stab themselves. Sheesh.

Comment

Embarrassing. Are these people AT ALL in touch anymore? The knee-jerk mentality that some people in power respond with is absurd.
        Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
          And the wussification of future generations continues............
          Running has been disallowed at recess for fear of falling down...
          Walking has been curtailed due to possible tripping...

But, And here's your trophy, kid... you are the best stander in recess.
          And here's your trophy, kid... you are the best stander in recess.
          etc...
          I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
          You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
          "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
          It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

At the school where my kids were, the new principal put a decibel meter in the lunch room. If anyone exceeds a certain level, all of the kids lose part of their recess.
            people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Originally posted by Controller Jacobs View Post
              At the school where my kids were, the new principal put a decibel meter in the lunch room. If anyone exceeds a certain level, all of the kids lose part of their recess.
              for what its worth, my middle son absolutely hates eating in the lunch room because it is "too loud". He's a kid with significant vision issues, so hearing is his primary sense, and the echoing noise really makes him uncomfortable. He'd vote for a decibel meter, but would want the actual noisemakers punished, rather than everyone.
              "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                for what its worth, my middle son absolutely hates eating in the lunch room because it is "too loud". He's a kid with significant vision issues, so hearing is his primary sense, and the echoing noise really makes him uncomfortable. He'd vote for a decibel meter, but would want the actual noisemakers punished, rather than everyone.
                Trust me, it's not about the kids. Same school, also this year: autistic girl in Athens told to transfer schools over service dog. When my wife started to tell me about the story, she got to "autistic girl with a helper dog" and I cut her off with "How'd they get rid of her?"
                people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                  "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                  "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Since when do middle schools have recess? I haven't heard of such a thing in my life. At best kids are allowed to go outside after eating lunch if it is a nice day, but it was no more than ten minutes and it was nothing more than the kids standing around getting fresh air.
                    Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Port Washington website states the ban is temporary and was made because of limited space for the kids due to construction. More kids in a smaller area mean more potential for a non participant to get whacked.

I maintain kids that age don't need a recess.
                      Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Require them to take a physical education class until High School. Gym class is essentially recess to most kids.
                        It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
                        Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Originally posted by Pogues View Post
                          Port Washington website states the ban is temporary and was made because of limited space for the kids due to construction. More kids in a smaller area mean more potential for a non participant to get whacked.

I maintain kids that age don't need a recess.
                          While I think giving them a recess or two would make ADD and ADDHD less of a problem. Let them get outside and burn some energy off.

Comment

Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
                            Require them to take a physical education class THROUGH High School. Gym class is essentially recess to most kids.
                            Fixed.

Comment

My son's high school has them take 3 years of PE if you don't play a sport, his freshman PE teacher had them do PX-90 Insanity DVDs in class
                              "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Working...
                              X