REM Draft Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monster is the album I've fallen in love with from this draft
    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• I've had Lotus playing my head for 2 days now ...

Comment

• Rosters and Draft History updated

Comment

• Also, new found respect for Green. Almost every Green pick has been met with a "can't believe that wasn't taken already".

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
            I just finished Reveal. Sweet mother of Christ, that was dull. You know what's worse than bad music? Music that's not even interesting enough to dislike. It evokes no response from me whatsoever. It's froth. Pretty and empty. Not hypnotic, just repetitive and pleasantly forgettable. It's something I'd put on if I wanted to take a nap on the bus. Other than Imitation Of Life, I can't remember anything I just heard, and I probably only remember that one because I've heard it before.

I wasn't wild about New Adventures, but there was enough there to make me want to give it another try. After I listened to Up, I couldn't wait to give it another listen. I don't really care if I ever hear Reveal again. If it magically appears in my collection someday, that'll be fine. If it doesn't, that'll be fine, too.

Around The Sun is even worse, huh? :shudder:

Woof.
            For me, Up is the worst. That one is mostly just novocain and it pretty much turned me off of REM when it came out. After some time has passed I can go back to it and not want to break things, but I still don't like it. After I saw them in concert (ironically on the Up tour), I still listened to the old stuff, but I didn't buy any new albums. Probably about 2 years ago I dug up Hi-Fi and got back into REM, checked out some of the newer stuff and discovered I liked it more than Up.

For me, Up was their low point, and Reveal was on the upswing again but still pretty novocain-y. Around the Sun is much better - had some really solid tracks, even when they had another rapper, it wasn't an atrocity this time. I enjoyed Accelerate and from what I've heard during this draft, Collapse Into Now is pretty good too.

What's funny is there is a song on Reveal that is sooo slow and sleepy that I can't stand it, but I have a live version that's fantastic. I probably won't pick it because the Spotify version is awful.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
              ... and again ... I've no idea how 'Get Up' was still around. I hinted that that was one of the Green picks I was surprised hadn't been taken about 4 rounds back. I probably shoulda picked it.

Also love the William S Burrough's version of Star Me kitten ... makes me smile every time he reads that intro.

"... just fuck me kitten, you are wild, and I'm in your possession. Nothing's free, so fuck me kitten. So fuck me kitten"
              Wow. I guess it's safe to say that we have different taste in music.

That William S Burroughs crap is my least favorite song, ever. Not just my least favorite REM song. I would rather listen to Beiber.

Comment

• Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                Wow. I guess it's safe to say that we have different taste in music.

That William S Burroughs crap is my least favorite song, ever. Not just my least favorite REM song. I would rather listen to Beiber.
                I think it's really quite funny. Certainly not pleasant to listen to ... a bit like Chance (Dub) from that same "b-side" collection ... that is tedious, but also amusing because even the band were getting annoyed playing it.

Comment

• Spotify Playlist is updated.

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                    fun draft to watch ... I'm not around enough to participate, but I definitely need to get a spotify acct now & checkout that playlist.
                    wtf ... I tried to set up a spotify account last nite to listen to the playlist only to find out spotify is not available in Canada. What is this, 2005?!?!?
                    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Wow, really? That's crazy.

Comment

• I know I'm up, I have to re-listen to a few songs then I'll make my pick. Should be up in an hour or so.
                        Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• Are there that many songs with female guest artists left?

Comment

• Originally posted by Stephen View Post
                            Are there that many songs with female guest artists left?
                            HA! Maybe I'm trying to make sure the songs I'm considering don't have any estrogen in them.
                            Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• johnny, quick correction, 'Laughing' is from Murmur (roster page). cheers!
                              Last edited by DMT; 04-26-2013, 10:41 AM.
                              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                                johnny, quick correction, 'Laughing' is from Murmur (roster page). cheers!
                                I'll fix it when I get home.

Strange Currencies was one of my favourites from Monster when it first came out. I hadn't listened to it in years before this drafted started.

Comment

Working...
                                X